F12 Paint Bubbling | Page 7 | FerrariChat

F12 Paint Bubbling

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by acadmd, Mar 15, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    Just curious....was it FSV? Did u but it? Pretty sure that was my car.

2. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    I was also thinking of the back grills just before the wheels

3. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Hope yours stays OK - what a pain in the butt - such a beautiful car for big bucks - nobody should have to put up with this - as I mentioned at the beginning of the thread I saw a almost new F12 on the floor at FFL a year ago with this problem - I walked over to a salesperson I know well to discuss it with him and he just shrugged his shoulders - BS - I hope Ferrari stands up and takes care of u guys - sorry I don't want to inflame you guys more then you are already

4. MatNZ

MatNZ Karting

Jun 12, 2018
    Full Name:
    MatNZ
    Thanks raider!! I am keen to find what parts (gasket) Ferrari may have as a solution and order them now and get it fitted! My help!!

5. m3doc

m3doc Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2008
    Would this kind of damage be covered under a CPO warranty?

6. MatNZ

MatNZ Karting

Jun 12, 2018
    Full Name:
    MatNZ
    Yes you would think so, but if out of the 3 yr warranty then no. Dealer will submit a Goodwill claim to Ferrari, but in one case they wanted a 40% contribution from the customer! How is it the customer's fault??

7. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I want a fix now (Recall) !!! Before the paint rot sets in. WTF Ferrari ?

8. MatNZ

MatNZ Karting

Jun 12, 2018
    Full Name:
    MatNZ
    I am with you on that. This was their top of the range Ferrari. Can someone give us the email address of who to write too in Ferrari about these issues? Its been a ticking time bomb so absolutely cannot be the customer's fault if the problem presents itself after the warranty period.

9. luigisayshello

luigisayshello Karting

Jul 9, 2014
    Or why not get a group buy on some aluminium mesh grills?

10. MatNZ

MatNZ Karting

Jun 12, 2018
    Full Name:
    MatNZ
    Good idea! But to solve the issue get carbon fibre grills made instead of aluminium!!!

I saw the first world wide release of the Aston Martin DBS Superleggera in Auckland yesterday. 715hp and 900nm of torque!!

It has a lot of metal meshes. But Aston told me you could also have carbon fibre instead!! Good solution!!

11. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Doesn't the carbon in the carbon fiber also potentially have the same problem when in contact with aluminum?

12. MatNZ

MatNZ Karting

Jun 12, 2018
    Full Name:
    MatNZ
    Good question, but I wouldn't have thought so.

13. bluesea

bluesea Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2005
  14. bubbaboy

bubbaboy Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    Winter Park, FL
    Full Name:
    John
    I just took delivery of a 2015 roughly 3 weeks ago, and mine looks just like that too. JD

15. MatNZ

MatNZ Karting

Jun 12, 2018
    Full Name:
    MatNZ
    Damn! I have the same colour as you!!

16. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I have Grigio Titanio too....2017. Keeping that area dry until I can get a preventative fix. Corrosion is colorblind.

17. MatNZ

MatNZ Karting

Jun 12, 2018
    Full Name:
    MatNZ
    I still think a 3D image of the mesh and from that build a carbon fibre mesh to solve the problem. Wish Ferrari would supply us with the parts to fix as a goodwill gesture on their part!!

18. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    What about making a template of the opening and using it as a cover while spraying the edge of the mesh and with things like plasti-dip to create an insulation for the 2 metals to not be in contact with each other?

19. MatNZ

MatNZ Karting

Jun 12, 2018
    Full Name:
    MatNZ
    Yes good idea - insulation I believe would work!

20. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Here are a few photo's taken during a repair.

In this instance, there were zero signs of the black mesh coming in contact with the painted surface anywhere we looked.

BUT , there are signs of the corrosion that you can see from the underside ( white ashy area on one end ) between the paint and the 1/4 panel

Sorry about some of the photo orientation.

S

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sloop and colonels like this.
  21. MatNZ

MatNZ Karting

Jun 12, 2018
    Full Name:
    MatNZ
    Great photos thank you!

So you believe the problem is coming from the underside of the panel and not the mesh itself, as that would assume corrosion issues. Is the F12 dipped in anti - corrosion solution before the car is painted as this happens to a lot of manufacturers. I thought aluminum did not corrode?

22. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    What is the preventative fix, even after a re-paint ? Water getting in there must be the catalyst ?

23. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Looking at the yellow car above, it appears there is a steel structural component (w/vent opening) that is bonded to the Aluminum skin of the body (vent opening). Perhaps if that bond isn't correct and the aluminum skin of the body touches that steel under-part that is bonded, electrolysis ensues. In that case the mesh may have nothing to do with it. I have attached the under-part that has the bonding/insulating material blotted on which must be steel (a dissimilar metal) ? Ferrari needs to step up to the plate. I'm not afraid to make waves as I could care less about turbo and hybrid future allocations !!!! :D
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

colonels likes this.
  24. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Can you determine what material is this second component made of that uses the five nuts to connect up the steel grill? Is it steel or aluminum?

25. MatNZ

MatNZ Karting

Jun 12, 2018
    Full Name:
    MatNZ
    This is great but still confusing. I just spoke to Ferrari parts and they said the mesh has been superseded 3 times since production. Fortunately I have the latest part in my car but still don't know exactly what Ferrari did to modify the mesh!!