Summit racing explain X and H pipe.... | FerrariChat

Summit racing explain X and H pipe....

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by F456M, Jul 9, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Hi guys. Being a car nerd, I am reading and watching different videos about exhaust..... see here: They say X pipe will ”always” give more peak horse power. This is not what I have learned here on this Fchat forum.... So what is right and not?

2. robert_fulton

robert_fulton Rookie

Apr 28, 2004
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Robert Fulton
    Thanks for getting me on a u-tube thread that was entirely entertaining and informative... and a veritable black-hole for time. After getting back to real time I have to assert that everystatement about

3. robert_fulton

robert_fulton Rookie

Apr 28, 2004
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Robert Fulton
    Cats and keyboards do not get along.... sorry

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Does not work for V12s or even V8s with flat cranks. Works for V8s with 90 degree throws, which are essentially 4 V- twins on the same crank.

5. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Yes, Terry. Ferrari went to straight pipes for the late 575Ms.

Roadking likes this.
  6. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    Aren’t they all straight pipes? My 456 resonator doesn’t seem to cross over. Isn’t that the same as a straight pipe?

7. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
  8. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Those resonators are x-pipes, too.

9. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    The 456 too? I took a close look at mine and I did not see a crossover. I will take another look.

10. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Affirmative. Would not be a resonator otherwise.

11. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Try to get a look into the pipes going through the resonator casing. Just like the rear mufflers, you might find the pipes are perforated...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    I don’t believe a resonator requires a cross over. Single exhausts vehicles use resonators too. Where is the cross over?

I will to an experiment to see if I can get some light or water to pass through from one side to the other. That should tell us no?

13. NE550

NE550 Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I replaced the OEM resonator on my 550 last year with Fabio's double h-pipe, and I noticed that there is actually a "cross over" inside the resonator located just inside of the double inlet. I will take a photo and post it.

F456M likes this.
  14. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    I see that on mine as well but on closer inspection it appeared to be a dead end.

NE550 likes this.
  15. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    More on exhaust design. Perhaps some questions can also be answered from here .

16. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Affirmative, you can build a resonator without an x or crossover. We put them in rocket engine chambers to filter out unwanted frequencies. The ones we have are mixing the exhaust pulses from both sides. Multiple ways to do that.

17. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    My point is that a resonator does not require an x, a crossover, an H or any dual exhaust set up. I can be a single exhaust.

Case in point below.

I did a light test with my resonator last night. No light made it from one side to the other. The tubes are perforated but that does not mean they go all the way through to the other side. The indent is a dead end.

I will try a water test tonight. Has anybody cut one open?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

NE550 likes this.
  18. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    The 550 responstid definately has a cross pipe just after the inlet. It seems like the engine runs more smooth for some reason with the crossover. I am pretty fed up with rthe exhaust on my 550 and want that 599 GTO growl pretty soon.....

Another thing I have noticed, is that a lot of the sound experience does not come from the end tail pipes, but rather from the engine through the bulkhead/torpedo wall.... Deena like if the valves are closed, the pressure of exhaust is higher inside the system and you hear other sounds better as there is less noise from the rear end of the car. Funny thing is, the road noise kills the internal sounds from the engine compartment, so the best thing to do now is to redigert the road noise, as that will actually make it easier to hear the engine. So the modified shock mounts are on my wish list too!!

19. NE550

NE550 Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Photo showing the crossover inside the OEM 550 resonator (flashlight used to illuminate). Basically forms an "H" pipe:
    [​IMG]

308 GTB and F456M like this.
  20. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I found that the oem center does actually make sound, not just silencing the sound. The inside is quite different inside the two holes through it.... why did they make it just like that? Must be a specific reason for it...

Streetsurfer likes this.
  21. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky

Thank-you for posting that, Dave.

Barry

NE550 likes this.
  22. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    So I have concluded there is no crossover on the 456 (without cutting it open I can’t be 100% sure). So this is a difference with the 550.

23. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Stu- You may be correct. Knew there was one on the Maranellos (until straight pipes became standard on the 575M at AN 51797), so assumed there was one on the 456/456M. Swapping that cork for straight pipes is a worthwhile thing, if it does not cause resonance with whatever mufflers are fitted.

24. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    I picked up a slightly used Larini X pipe from a member. We’ll see how that goes if I ever get ma shocks back on. o_O

25. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Stu- Straight pipes give slightly more hp and torque than an x-pipe, but can also cause resonance. Many owners prefer the sound of an x-pipe. Not enough difference in hp and torque that your rear end would notice the difference and the x-pipe is a big improvement over the factory cork.

NE550 likes this.