CYCLING | FerrariChat

CYCLING

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Igor Ound, Jul 9, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    ‘18 Tour just started. Two stages so far and Sagan took a second, a first place, yellow and green jersey. The man’s a beast! Go Doumulin and Sagan!

ypsilon and rob lay like this.
  2. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    There seem to have been an awful lot of crashes so far, even involving some of the GC contenders. Thankfully, none has been knocked out of the race yet.

3. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Same every year unfortunately. They should reduce the number of riders in the same teams IMO. That would also make the race more unpredictable.

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I still love the Tour de France, but just not as much since all the drug scandals, I blame the UCI and Doping Agencies as much as the teams and dirty riders.

5. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Last scandals all regard excessive use of asthma drugs. Maybe they should be banned altogether? Is it not fair to say if you’re asthmatic you are probably not going to win a Tour the France?

6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I don't even keep up with the crap lately, I'm talking about 2010 and before.

7. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Fair enough, will never forget the great days of Pantani. Shame that as all very good things it had to end, and really badly.
    Didn’t follow for a few years too after Armstrong’s scandal but started again when Wiggins won. It is getting better and more credible now...

rob lay likes this.
  8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I hate being lied to almost more than anything else and that's what cyclists, teams, UCI, and Anti-doping were doing for years. I still think there is some NASCAR like "it isn't cheating unless you get caught", but I lost 90% of my fandom when winning was more about drugs than pure skill, training, and guts.

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    even Pantani was an EPO user. I like him too. We had a cat named Cipollini, who turned out was secret client of Eufemiano Fuentes.

Igor Ound likes this.
  10. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Hard to find someone clean from that period but Armstrong really took the pxxs. And it glew in the dark...

Bugno
    Pantani
    Wiggins
    Cipollini

are my favourites in this order.

And right now Sagan offers the best entertainment.

rob lay likes this.
  11. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    when I checked into cycling 4 years ago I saw Tejay van Garderen was guaranteed to be the next big tour star for USA! very disappointed it didn't really pan out for him, although he's 2nd in the tour right now! ;)

Igor Ound likes this.
  12. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    That's why when Armstrong was stripped of his wins, they weren't awarded to anyone else, since the other podium finishers were probably just as guilty. They might have had to go down to 10th place to find a cyclist at the time who was clean!

One wonders how clean the sport is today. We can only assume that it is, until someone comes up with evidence contrary to that thinking.

13. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    4 stages, 2 second places and 2 victories for Sagan! The only way to stop him is to unfairly disqualify him like last year.

14. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I guess Mark Cavendish is over the hill, since Sagan seems to have taken his place as the sprinter to watch.

England has had a lot on their plate this past week: Wimbledon, a World Cup contender (now unfortunately done), and Chris Froome to keep an eye on.....

15. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Can’t stand Cavendish anyway. Sagan is a much more complete rider.

16. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Epic day as expected, was fun to watch. Constant action. I know the cyclists and teams hate the cobbles, but I think it adds a great dynamic to the race. My favorite type of stages in order...

1) Epic mountain stages with a finish on the mountain.

2) Mountain time trials.

3) Time trials.

4) Flat crosswind stages.

This is the only major cobble day I've seen in the Tour, but I'm sure they've done it in the past. I think they should do one every year.

I can barely watch the typical flat stages with sprint finishes, about the only thing that makes it interesting is cheering for the breakaway at start and then cheer for them to get caught at end. :) I also don't care much about the team time trials.

Igor Ound likes this.
  17. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    There seem to be an unusually large number of flat tires in this year's tour. I think the tire manufacturers need to step up their game.

18. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Bardet got 4 in the last few km yesterday! Time to pass to clinchers?

19. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    they expected that on the cobbles. the top teams had staff of 25 spread out end of the cobble sections with tires ready to change.

20. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Too bad about Richie Porte. Poor guy gets KO'ed in the same stage two years in a row. And Tejay went from contender to also-ran in one stage. But, that's the Tour!

21. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    yes, I was hoping that Tejay could content if something happened to Porte, something did happen to Porte, but didn't work out for Tejay. He's still in 30th, I would love to see him work back up to 10-20th through the mountains, but my guess they won't press him to maintain time.

22. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Sky are too rich and too strong, really getting boring. Go Dumoulin!

ypsilon and rob lay like this.
  23. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I hope Lawson isn't competing for the lanterne rouge, come on Lawson! :)

24. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Been watching every day (big surprise, huh?). Yesterday, stage 11, was absolutely outstanding. I am not a fan of Sky, but it does feel like the handwriting on the wall is starting to be written now in the mountains...

rob lay likes this.
  25. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Hopefully today’s Alpe d’Huez is even better. 140km to go as I write and Sky controlling as usual