THE 2018 Monterey/Pebble Beach auction thread | Page 3 | FerrariChat

THE 2018 Monterey/Pebble Beach auction thread

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by Timmmmmmmmmmy, May 29, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Would love to see a spectacular 250 LM on the block. They seem rather elusive.

2. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
  3. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    What are rules for both viewing these cars beforehand as well as for attending the auctions themselves? Can anyone attend? I’ll be at Pebble Beach this year and would love to consider the option.

4. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    That's the best number of carbs.
    :)

G. Pepper likes this.
  5. thepinkumbrella

thepinkumbrella F1 Veteran

Feb 26, 2006
    United Kingdom
    Buy a catalogue...generally admits two to the preview and to the auction itself

Paul

6. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    Come to a European auction. I was at the RMSotheby's auction in Monaco in 2010.

Everyone was roaming around sitting in EVERY car, including this 400 SA Cabriolet (Link from 2016 auction but was still a solid 7 figure car in 2010) which had just been restored. I saw fathers taking their kids up on the small stage and having them open the doors and jump in the 400 SA. PLus every other car on the floor from 275's to Daytona Spyders were free to sit in. Nobody told anyone they couldn't and it just seemed normal to everyone around.

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/AC15/The-Andrews-Collection/lots/r120-1962-ferrari-400-superamerica-swb-cabriolet-by-pininfarina/180163

It was like it was some wholesale used car dealer auction. I was shocked.

Maybe it's different now, I don't know.

7. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    There are free tickets available for the lesser auctions through various sources such as the FCA. Attending one gives insight to the burlesque auction process. It is shocking how quickly most cars come and go from the auction stage. A ticket gives you access to the preview, which allows viewing of the vehicles parking-lot style.

The more significant auctions are more difficult to attend, but that simply means registering. My wife and I enquired about viewing the auction at Sothebys/RM a couple of years ago. They required a credit check and paying an entry fee which was substantial (IIRC, $200). If you are a "player" I am sure admission would be complementary.

It used to be (prior to Sotheby's acquiring RM), that RM would set up numerous tv monitors and loudspeakers around the car staging area (the circle in front of the Portola Hotel) and the general public could watch all the action that was happening on the auction floor. It was really cool. That was our Saturday evening entertainment. You could also watch nervous owners and handlers fretting over their cars as they neared their turn. Sotheby's initially removed all of this and turned it into a totally private event, including fencing off the staging area. We have not walked past these last few years, so don't know what they have done recently.

8. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I just emailed RM Sotheby's and got a quick response. Public viewing for the lots is free. I have an email into Gooding and Bonhams, though I suspect the policy is the same.

9. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    That has not been my experience. You have to be a registered bidder or a catalog holder, even then you need a wristband or pass to display before viewing the cars.

10. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Here is their email to me:

Thank you for contacting RM Sotheby’s!

There are no requirements for the public preview, it is free to anyone.

The public previews are taking place Wednesday the 22nd and Thursday the 23rd from 10am-8pm, as well as on the Friday and Saturday of the Auction starting at 10am but, ending when the auction starts at 6pm.

Kind regards,

11. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I stand corrected. Good luck.

12. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

I was surprised myself. I think a lot of people get confused with the auctions themselves. When I inquired about them in a follow-up email, this is what they said:

All of the auctions are closed to the public and only accessible to registered bidders expect for the public preview days, which can be found on our website www.rmsothebys.com

13. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Here is the Gooding response:

Thank you for reaching out. Information about viewing and auction hours is located on our website here. Admission to the viewing and auction is $40 per person and can be purchased at the auction entrance. If you would like to order an auction catalogue, they can be purchased at the auction or in advance on our website here. The purchase of a catalogue is good for entry for two. Please let me know if I can assist with anything else.

14. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    RM Sothebys attitude is very strange, I wonder if you rocked on up to the Portola Hotel with $100 whether they wouldn't sell you a catalog/ entry. Most auction houses restrict credit checks to registered bidders (and they would get a paddle) which you wouldn't need........You would think they would want to maximise patronage to encourage participation, after all you might get swept up in the excitement and go and register to bid on something?

15. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

I'm not bidding on anything. I'm just excited to be able to go see their lots, particularly the GTO. I've seen GTO's before but never a Series II.

Timmmmmmmmmmy likes this.
  16. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    As you probably know it is not an original Series II but a period rebody. Not the most attractive GTO IMO but still a great car.

17. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Thank you. Yes, I am aware.

18. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
  19. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

Thanks. Good read. It's a shame. I actually like the series II body. Not as much as the series I, but I still like it. But, the fact that it wasn't originally a series II should certainly impact its ultimate value (I'm guessing). Certainly most of these cars had body panels replaced, but the wholesale change is disappointing. But, then again, it is a 250 GTO and there aren't many opportunities to grab one. If I had the means and the desire to acquire one I suppose I would have a dilemma to work through on this one.

20. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #70 miurasv, Jul 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
    IMO the value should not be impacted. All the S2 250 GTO rebodies were done by Scaglietti via Ferrari, so were Ferrari authentic/original, plus they have additional history as an S1 GTO, which makes them more interesting and therefore possibly more valuable than a GTO that started life as an S2.

21. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #71 miurasv, Jul 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
    From your article: "....where the Series I was designed by Ing. Bizzarrini by guess and by gosh, his tests consisting of naught more than midnight autostrada tests on different noses and tail configurations)."

Bizzarrini is said to have used the wind tunnel at the University of Pisa, where he had graduated with a degree in engineering in 1953, to help him design the body of the GTO.

375+ likes this.
  22. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

Interesting update. I just received this email from the woman at RM Sotheby’s that I had earlier emailed with. It was actually nice of her to email me back to clarify:

I had emailed you last week about preview tickets for our Monterey Auction.

I have just been informed that there will be a cost for the public preview. It will be $40.00 and they will be available upon entering the venue.

Kind regards,

23. malcolmjl

malcolmjl Karting

Mar 27, 2014
    los angeles
    G. Pepper and miurasv like this.
  24. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Truly fantastic. I find that car more interesting than the Ferraris.

375+ likes this.