Second guessing my purchase 488 spider :-) | FerrariChat

Second guessing my purchase 488 spider :-)

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by F430abdo, Jun 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F430abdo

F430abdo Karting

Mar 8, 2017
    SE Florida
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    ok I’m just gonna put it out there, I started my Ferrari journey in 2016 with the purchase of a 2007 f430 spider. Loved the introduction to the brand. This car was both awesome and annoying at times:), just a really good intro for me. I then picked up a 2013 458 coupe with beautiful specs and This car changed my world and appreciation for the brand, ultimately I realized everything that annoyed me in my first love, remedied and it is an amazing car. Then it started to throw me some Curve balls around 7000 miles in the form of air bag sensor and many failure warnings that the dealership didn’t seem to have much of a permanent conclusion too. Few months past and really no day without warnings in my 458. In comes the oppertunity too own a 2018 488 spider with 22 miles. The dealership informed me that a client had backed out of this car after building it and waiting for it, and it was available to me and I said WTH. I purchased it today, my issue is I am
    Still in love with that 458 and I am
    Left wondering what I just bought and what should I expect of this car. I did drive it and it’s so different. Feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Manda racing and paulchua like this.
  2. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Perhaps just the camera, but that hood gap looks ... weird.

I really like the interior... Nice to not see carbon fiber all over the place.

3. woody byrd

woody byrd Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2006
    cary, nc
    Full Name:
    woody byrd
    I have had the 458 coupe and spider, and 488 coupe and two spiders, for a total of 18 Ferrari's. You just wait and open your mind. The 488 is a wonderful car that that gets more amazing as you get used to the differences. Saturday we joined other members of our NC Ferrari Club on a 400 mile day trip to the mountains and lunch at a Winery on the Blue Ridge Parkway. At the end of the day, I was tired, but thought "That is one Hell of a Car". Driving it was the highlight of the day. I think you will agree soon..

paulchua and F430abdo like this.
  4. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I am reminded of what someone asked me once. "Why do you own so many cars and where can you go around here to use them?" I said there are two ways to look at that, the first one is that I am a fool who just has too much spare change and no impulse control. The second one is that there is something very special about a car that you feel connected to (for me no car is like that out of the box not even a Ferrari), that even a ride to the grocery store feels like a special occasion. For some reason my connection with Ferrari's seems to stop with the 430, I was going to build a 488, but it is just too perfect for me. That may sound odd to some of you (I don't like the new PDK either), but I guess it is because I am quirky, so I like quirky cars I can take apart and make better. Perhaps you with find a connection to your 488, and maybe you like me just find it a bit too perfect. The good news is you wont loose anything if you go back to the 458. Good luck.

rampante550 and F430abdo like this.
  5. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

The 488 is the most spectacular car I've ever owned and IMO, blows away everything else in its class. I loved my 458, but the 488 other worldly; truly a work of art which offers comfort, performance, styling and intangible value that you have to experience to believe. Go for the 488 ….. you'll be thrilled that you did.

JohnTz, F430abdo and jm2 like this.
  6. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Two wonderful Ferraris, the 458 and the 488.

If you intend to buy a Ferrari to keep for the foreseeable future and care about future appreciation and value, the 458.

If you couldn't care less about the above, the 488.

Don't second guess yourself, the 488 is one great car. I'm in love with the 458 and I would have a 488 in the future to add to my garage. I just wouldn't trade the 458 for the 488.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

7. NYFAIM

NYFAIM Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2015
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Howard R.
    The 488 looks amazing - life is short, so enjoy it while you can.

A little disappointing that after 7k miles the 458 is giving you issues.

Manda racing and F430abdo like this.
  8. PA Wolfpacker

PA Wolfpacker Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I had a 2013 458 Spider and now own a 2017 488 Spider. I loved the 458 but frankly the 488 is on another level. From small things like the air conditioner working better to the outstanding torque, the 488 is perceptively better.

I think once you put a few miles on the 488 all concern will pass.

Good luck.

of2worlds and F430abdo like this.
  9. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Drive it more and see if you fall for it. Like Nuno said, I also think for future value a 458 is better.

I personally like the 458 more since it has cleaner lines and is naturally aspirated.

In any event, don't forget to enjoy them!

10. stkpick101

stkpick101 Rookie

Sep 25, 2013
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Serge
    Since you have already purchased it, there is no point of looking back. In addition, most will probably wish you to enjoy the car in great health. The 488 is a completely different feel and drive than the 458. Those who switched to 488 will say it is a much better than the 458, while the 458 owners will state otherwise :) I have chosen to keep my 458 Spider after spending some time driving the 488. My explanation was...."While 458 is a wild stallion that needs to be tamed, 488 is a well trained show horse that will not run away from you". To simply put it, 458 is raw. I found that 488 suspension feels smoother, steering feels lighter and overall driving experience is much more enjoyable....or comfortable. It feels a bit too emotionless, while missing that umph of the 458. It does feel a bit faster, as turbos certainly perform well. You will hear the whistling sound which is relatively loud during the acceleration. The sound........While you will no longer hear the screaming metallic sound of the 458, 488 sounds good enough. The one thing I did not like, was the gargling sound coming out of the turbos while downshifting. In my opinion, 488 is an improvement, aesthetically speaking with its aggressive look. However, the luxury feel or should I say comfort, certainly took away the racing feel of the 488. At the end of the day, it is all about preference. What matters is what you like and what brings you joy since you are the one paying for it. I am curious of YOUR opinion after driving it. Honestly speaking, if you went ahead with the purchase, I am absolutely certain you will not regret it. Look forward to your post :)

Themaven, paulchua, of2worlds and 2 others like this.
  11. F430abdo

F430abdo Karting

Mar 8, 2017
    SE Florida
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Yes and I believe you made a great point. I think I needed to keep my 458 and add a 488 spider. But **** I have 4 kids and they are were all that second Ferrari change go lol. But yes that would be ideal

paulchua and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  12. stkpick101

stkpick101 Rookie

Sep 25, 2013
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Serge
    It's not too late to fix the situation...In fact, you can improve it by buying a Speciale :)

Dave rocks and F430abdo like this.
  13. F430abdo

F430abdo Karting

Mar 8, 2017
    SE Florida
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    I don’t know having drivin my new baby, it’s a magnificent machine. Wow

of2worlds likes this.
  14. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I recently traded my 458 italia for a 2018 488 GTB. Compared to the 458, the 488 is **** in my opinion. Exhaust note is god awful. Handling sucks. The Ferrari magic is gone on the 488 if you ask me. As soon as I can get out of the lease, the 488 is out of here. I'm either going back to another 458 or perhaps try out an 812 superfast for a change.

I am going to lower the 488 15mm all around I think, but I don't hold out a lot of hope that that will make much difference. Also considering installing another exhaust or something, but I'm concerned that sound levels will become an issue.

Frankly, I'm surprised Ferrari would turn out such a terrible car. Yes, it's faster, but for me Ferrari ownership is about more than just 0-60 times. I hate to sound overly negative about the 488, but seriously it depresses me the more I drive it. The 458 was an nice fun joy ride that always brought a smile to my face and I would come home happy and loving the exerpeince. The 488 just gives me a headache and leaves me shaking my head and wondering if Enzo isn't rolling in his grave some place in Italy.

Ray

Dave rocks likes this.
  15. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    As I write this I’m getting ready to return a 488 spider I rented. Originally I wanted the 458 since I’m a big self proclaimed naturally aspirated guy but I was highly impressed with the 488. And the car I rented was a “new” 2018 model too so considerably low miles for a rental. The exaust can sound like a Japanese important times but I didn’t think it was that bad, and over all I have only minor criticism of the car overall. But then again I’m fairly easy to please too

16. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    If you spent a few weeks driving a 458, I don't think you'd have the same views! :)

Ray

17. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    You might be right. But since my wife gave a firm no to both a 458 or a 488 so I’ll likely never find out. But at least the couriosity is satisfied now. The wife did however love the California so I’m not totally hosed. I just hope she doesn’t see a FF or a Lusso or those will be what she wants me to get.

of2worlds likes this.
  18. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Don't knock the Lusso until you do a couple 1/4 mile passes in it :) That's one heck of a fun car.

Ray

paulchua likes this.
  19. Ken458

Ken458 Karting

Jul 25, 2011
    Ah to have such problems! Seriously though I understand your thought process on the new car. I had an 08 430 Spider F1 as my first Ferrari. I was happy with it but went ahead and traded for a 458 Coupe. Then I traded that for the 458 Spider. Both were wonderful cars with no issues but at the end of the day I found them both to be almost too good. The dual clutch trans was so good that I was bored driving the 458 around town and wished for a more connected sports car feel. I turned the 458 Spider back in and decided to go backwards. I found my 2009 430 Spider manual after a short search before the prices went up. I am happy with it as I just have a more connected feel with a non perfect sportscar. I enjoy the more raw feel of the car with the classic wind in my hair and never ending search for that perfect shift. I guess I'm just old fashioned.The 458 and 488 are no doubt better and faster cars and If I had the money I would add one to the stable but not at the expense of giving up the 430. Different strokes for different folks. In any case drive what you like. Enjoy the 488.

Themaven and of2worlds like this.
  20. stkpick101

stkpick101 Rookie

Sep 25, 2013
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Serge
    You can still trade the 488 for a 458. What is the point of keeping something you don't enjoy?...........I share the same feeling with regards to 488, but I wasn't as harsh :)
    I have had the pleasure driving the 812 and must admit that it is a fantastic car in every sense, but ............mid engine is.....mid engine. Why not get a Speciale?

21. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I'll get out of the 488 at the end of the year most likely (unless there is some magic that happens with my DIY exhaust system project). I had paid cash for the 458 (plus nearly $20K in sales taxes and registration fees to the friendly state of CA). I decided to trade the 458 in on the 488 and try out a lease for a change. I figured I could free up some cash for trading/investing and become more friendly with Ferrari Finance in the process.

If I had paid cash for the 488, I would probably turn it back in right away. However, given that it's a lease and that I have a long standing relationship with the dealer (one of their staff is a personal friend of ours), I want to tread kinda easy here. Sure, I could start World War III and demand they take the 488 back, but I also don't want to risk burning the bridges that have taken over two decades to develop either.

So the 488 GTB will be okay until the end of the year and then I'll see what my options are. The dealer knows I want to get into something else as soon as possible. I'm sure they will take care of the matter, all in good time. I am going up to see the 812 Superfast in person shortly here. I'm not sure how I feel about front engine vs. mid engine, but I sure do like the idea of N/A and 800 HP :)

Speciale might be nice too. I've told the dealer to let me know if anything comes along.

And yes, I know.. 3rd world problems. I'm sure everyone wishes their biggest problem was what Ferrari to drive haha; I'll live.

Ray

Sunny488, Manda racing and stkpick101 like this.
  22. DesertDawg

DesertDawg Eight Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 25, 2010
    The Desert
    Full Name:
    DesertDawg
    Q: What do you call it when a shark changes his mind about letting parasite fish hitch a ride on his belly?

A: Buyers' Remoras.

paulchua likes this.
  23. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Ray, give the 488 a little more of a chance. You might still not like it, but it is a car with real depth and that means giving it some time and see what you think as you really dig into that depth. I also don't love the sound, but the more I drive it, the more impressed I am. The 488 is a real beast of a car. I still love my 458- they nailed it with the 458. But they also nailed it with the 488. The difference is kind of like the difference between different styles of cuisine. Who is to say if the finest steak is better than the finest pasta? Both are delicious!

To the OP, if I had to choose I would keep my 458 because thats more in line with what I prefer- but the key thing is to decide what you prefer.

stavura and F430abdo like this.
  24. F430abdo

F430abdo Karting

Mar 8, 2017
    SE Florida
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Nah no buyers remorse here. Not after spending 300 miles with this beast. It’s an epic car and all I can say is out of the three mid engine Ferrari’s I’ve owned, I would change less in this one! It’s amazing.

Manda racing and Caeruleus11 like this.
  25. F430abdo

F430abdo Karting

Mar 8, 2017
    SE Florida
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    That’s well said and exactly if I put words to what I’m feeling with my experience. My 458 was I. It’s right the perfect picture for what it is a naturally aspirated raw beauty. The 488 is a perfect presentation of Ferrari taking a much different course in a great way, it’s an amazing engine In that car. The sound is Great! Anyone who critiques it too death IMO, hasn’t driven it. Does the 458 sound better absolutely, but too me the speed, torque, and structural differences especially the ride in the 488 make up for that in spades. Not too mention the sound of the 488 is still amazing too me.

JohnTz, Caeruleus11 and PA Wolfpacker like this.