Classiche Annual Inspection | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Classiche Annual Inspection

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by WCH, Jun 21, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thepinkumbrella

thepinkumbrella F1 Veteran

Feb 26, 2006
    United Kingdom
    Memorabilia collectors/book collectors/researchers/historians/documenters/archivists.

Call them (us) what you will.

Paul

2. francisn

francisn Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Berks, UK
    Full Name:
    francis newman
    I was speaking to Tony Wills a couple of weeks ago. He told me he is process of training 9 (as far as I remember) UK dealers (inc Joe Macari) to be Classiche Centres. So no doubt Carrs will be one of them in due course.

3. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    The Carrs' Service Dep't agent I spoke to was very emphatic about them not being a Classiche Authorised Centre and said nothing about future plans of them being one.

4. mcimino

mcimino Formula 3

Oct 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    An annual inspection seems like an inconvenience. I can see maybe a checkup every 4 or 5 years, but not every year.

5. francisn

francisn Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Berks, UK
    Full Name:
    francis newman
    I'll check with Tony next time I see him and get the full list. As you probably know Tony has been doing all the inspections in the UK for the last 10 years (850 I think he said) but wants to retire now he is 70.

6. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    So a handheld XRF unit is now their definition of metallurgical testing? You guys are getting ripped off, that is modern day Sanford and Son scrap dealer technology.

7. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    Hilarious.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O20Sljxmy9M

8. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #83 miurasv, Aug 23, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
    Called Dick Lovett last week and asked to speak to the Classiche Dep't. I got put through and asked the person the question whether cars with Classiche Attestation now have to be serviced and checked every year at a Classiche Authorised Centre for them to maintain Classiche status. After going through the models, chassis numbers and registration numbers of the cars I was potentially going to arrange Classiche Inspection for the Dick Lovett official could not answer my question but he said he'd find out and call me straight back. I'm still waiting a week later. They haven't got a clue and I'd say not calling a customer back as stated is terrible customer service!!!

PS. I'd re-called Graypaul in Nottingham a few days before to see if they could answer the question now, as they could not a few weeks ago when I called, and was told the Classiche Manager was with a customer but they took my number and said he'd call me back. Again, I'm still waiting. Absolute shower!!!

9. Simon1965

Simon1965 Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2011
    HKSAR
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Interesting
    I'm going to work in the basis that no one told me.
    I got my red folder for my 330GT in 2015 and that of course said nothing about an annual inspection Since Ferrari have not written to me to tell me that I need to then I live in ignorance

10. johngtc

johngtc Formula Junior
    Owner

Mar 4, 2005
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    John Gould
    #85 johngtc, Aug 25, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
    Agree its a shambles Stephen but before pouring opprobrium on the dealers, perhaps one should ask the extent to which the factory communicates wiith them. Most of us who have dealt with Italy know about unanswered E-mails or letters and from comments I have heard things are not much better in parts of the dealer network. The guys you spoke to might also be pulling their hair out, trying to get official clarification.
    `

11. malcolmjl

malcolmjl Karting

Mar 27, 2014
    los angeles
    Agree 100%. Ferrari can hardly communicate internally none the less with dealers, so no chance a customer will have any luck. This is one of those things that we'll just have to wait on. Best option is just don't start the process. Hit them in the pocketbook and they'll figure it out quickly.

12. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    All of this explains why the Porsche approach is the best. They just say what the car had when it left the factory. Of course, Ferrari probably doesn't know what was in some of its cars...

13. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    The last thing I wanted to do was criticise the staff unjustifiably but they really do not know what's going on. Don't they read the press about what's going on in their own business? Are they not Ferrari enthusiasts themselves who want to know what's going on in the world of Ferrari? I actually gave praise to Chris Knight when he couldn't answer the question. See here: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/145468489-post62.html

Graypaul//Maranello had a big spread in the Summer Edition of Classic & Sportscar in which the Annual Inspection was one of the main subjects. At Graypaul/Maranello (Sytner Group) there must be a management communication problem between them and their customer facing staff. What really has annoyed me is that I was assured that I would be called back, but wasn't, not once, but on a number of occasions. A courtesy call just to let me know that they were trying to find out would have been fine, but no, they obviously couldn't be bothered.

14. johngtc

johngtc Formula Junior
    Owner

Mar 4, 2005
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    John Gould
    I think the questions in your first para are probably rhetorical! Definitely some real enthusiasts but an increasing number of 9-5 people who have no real interest in their work beyond the bare minimum.

Agree about the failure to call back but perhaps it is just too embarrasing to admit that you don't know and can't find out!

15. Foncool

Foncool Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2011
    There is an explanation in reference to the callback issues related pretty much to all Italian car companies. This is something that people who have done business with them for many years have known for a long time.

It relates to the programming of the phone systems they all use. Each extension is programmed to only allow 3 outgoing calls per day, and one of those calls must be internal. Which goes a long way in explaining why the only time you receive a call from them is when they need you!

Michael Call likes this.
  16. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    HR Owen in UK are Classiche Authorised I am told.

17. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
  18. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I have applied for certification for my 1989 328 GTB and should receive my red book by the end of summer. I am also planning on having my 1999 355 F1 Berlinetta certified once it reaches 20 years. I am very focused on originality and preservation, so having Classiche Certification for my cars is important to me. I recognize there may be certain flaws with the program (particularity with vintage cars) but for cars at my level I felt it was a wise investment.

19. startshine1

startshine1 Karting

Nov 11, 2011
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Marc

20. startshine1

startshine1 Karting

Nov 11, 2011
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Marc
    Hello i would like to know what i would cost for a 328 GTB for the Classiche Certfication ?
    Thanks for your answer!

21. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

I’m pretty certain in the US irs $4750. I’m not at home right now so I can’t verify the precise amount.

22. Simon1965

Simon1965 Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2011
    HKSAR
    Full Name:
    Simon
    In 2010 I got by 330 GT 2+2 certified - the cost then was Euro 1400 - at the time it felt a tad expensive but not totally unreasonable - Now my 1997 550M is old enough to be done and I inquired as to the cost - "GBP 1500+VAT for the inspection and Euro 6800 for the book" - now that is definitely too expensive at 10-15% of the value of the car - so wont be getting it done

23. johngtc

johngtc Formula Junior
    Owner

Mar 4, 2005
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    John Gould
    Is the Golden Goose about to die?

I can perhaps see the merit of a Classiche inspection on a potentially very valuable and rare car, particularly if there are unanswered questions, but as Simon points out, the charges are completely ridiculous for the amount of work they do.

Too many people have a vested interest in pushing the scheme. Traders 'big up' the alleged fact that this is essential to achieve a sale and then ask unrealistic prices for vehicles so certified, dismissing at a stroke some wonderful uncertified cars. Service departments make a killing fitting what are often trivial parts and Ferrari themselves have redefined the term 'Profit Centre'.

Given that Classiche Certification is only a report on the day, I would give a lot more importance to a heap of bills going back many years and a PPI by a respected expert on the particular tipo.

24. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    The Ferrari “Red Book” used to mean a very different book used to identify Ferraris by serial number...

Matt

Texas Forever likes this.
  25. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Varying opinions, obviously. Personally, I’m excited to receive certification. I take a ton of pride in preserving the originality of my cars as they are meant to be. That’s the intent of Classiche certification - to honor that commitment and recognize it with the factory seal of approval. I’m not sure what can be done about those who game the system by adding stock components for certification, then removing them after receiving their redbook. I hear people often comment about this happening, and, while I’m sure it has happened, I highly doubt it’s as pervasive as some make it out to be. One thing is for certain, that isn’t Ferrari’s fault, it’s the dishonorable practice of the few that do that.

As for The claims that Classiche is just a money grab by Ferrari, I just don’t get that argument at all. So what if it is? Why shouldn’t they? They’re running a business. Should it just be for free?

Also, Classiche certification isn’t some kind of requirement. If anyone is so opposed to it, then don’t get it. Nobody’s holding a gun to your head.

Finally, like it or not, it does have a lot of legitimacy. When a 20+ year old Ferrari has a Classiche red book, it matters.