Maserati Khamsin | Page 292 | FerrariChat

Maserati Khamsin

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Maeter, Feb 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. flo

flo Rookie

Mar 20, 2014
    hello Marc,
    yes i´m living in bavaria, next time drop a message maybe we could meet.
    regarding the cologne khamsin monaco plate car..... i´m sure it is 1058

https://scuderia-sportiva-colonia.de/de/fahrzeuge/17-fahrzeuge-verkauft/183-maserati-khamsin

litlle light in youre database 038 was not the film car in the franco nero movie

best regards
    flo

2. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
    Hello Flo

you are right, the sticker says it all, it is 1058
    and Monaco plates can be driven anywhere, it just means the owner has the 'means' to take up residency in Monaco
    ... and buy a Khamsin

but then, you did as well: congratulations on your car

Best regards
    Roger

3. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
  4. flo

flo Rookie

Mar 20, 2014
    hello roger,
    038 is for almost 5 years in the family.
    technically it was restored complete
    Hydraulics
    Brakes
    Oilpump
    Waterpump
    Cooling and system
    Suspension
    subframe rear complete with all the parts... we manufactured those which are not available if you know what i mean
    Motor complete overhaul
    Clutch
    elektrik
    klima
    heating/cooling valve for this extra loop under the dash
    all suspension and so on rubbers
    the technical part of the car is in better usable order than new....that was the goal
    outside and inside i left it like it was in general

its a pleasure to drive it i think you also have driven some khamsins and know the difference, especially the suspension
    is on most cars worn out or they stopped half the way because of not getting the parts to do it propper

best regards flo

5. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hello Flo, same comments as Roger plus yes I remember someone already telling me that it was not your car, 038, in that movie in Sicily discussed here years ago: How to kill a judge.

Information on the film (which used to be on Youtube but was taken down):

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071987/?ref_=nv_sr_1

The K in the film:

https://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_549138-Maserati-Khamsin-Tipo-120-1974.html

Roger curious to know if any major work has been done on 012 when they publish some fresh info and photos. That car does have some unusual interior details.

Best regards,

Marc

6. khamsin433

khamsin433 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2009
    Birmingham, UK
    Full Name:
    Balbir
    Hi all,

Ironically I was in a email exchange with Andy so thought I’d ask about the car. This was his reply;

“RE the Condivi car, this isn’t Doug’s car! It is ALMOST the same colour but not quite. This car is 337.”

Hope that helps.

Bal

7. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hello Bal!

How are you?

Thanks for that, ok 337 very exciting. I have very few notes on this car and all supplied by Andy Heywood many years ago, here his words:

K 337

Delivered new 10 July 76 MTC (Mario Tozzi Condivi's dealership in or near London)

Registration 2 EFM

Red stone manual

Steve Turner

Car was originally gold with reg NUO 738 R (this is confusing, I need factory info)

2011: Andy Heywood said owner keen on joining our K40 2012 event (but he did not come).

End of quote.

Great to see this one emerge and be done in very distinctive colors.

It's a detail bt the Mario plate belongs on 341, confirmed to be the demonstrator, photo below, not on this car. Still always good to see another one redone particularly in such period distinctive colors. Congratulations to the owner, would love to see this car.

Best regards,

Marc

Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Foncool

Foncool Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2011
    Supposedly Mario Condivi played a very instrumental role that set up the eventual sale of Maserati to FIAT.

9. khamsin433

Jul 16, 2009
    Birmingham, UK
    Full Name:
    Balbir
    Hi Marc,

Had some major surgery in May, but recovering slowly. Not driving at the moment so the K is languishing in the garage until I can. Been keeping an eye on here though so it’s good to see activity on this thread.

As for 337, from the McGrath article it started out life as Luci del Bosco with green leather. Leather changed to tan before initial sale by MTC. Paint must have been changed to red fairly early on as McGraths only ever knew it as a red car.
    The Mario plate was probably used for photos as they mention the car was featured in a brochure by MTC.

Great that they’ve put it back to first factory spec.

Bal

10. emsiegel13

emsiegel13 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2007
    Grayslake, Illinis
    Full Name:
    Elliot M. Siegel

I have a Khamsin spare rim, the 3" wide unit, with a tire mounted on it. The tire is original but unusable due to its age. The price is not cheap as there aren't many around. Contact me via email if you want to discuss it further, [email protected]

11. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hi Bal,

Glad to know you are running on 8 cylinders again: best wishes:)

I need to clarify with Fabio Collina which is which, between 337 and 341, which was used in publicity shots and articles.
    What is surprising is two cars in Luci del bosco or similar, that was an extremely rare color.

Best regards,

Marc

12. khamsin433

Jul 16, 2009
    Birmingham, UK
    Full Name:
    Balbir
    Cheers Marc.

Maybe Mario liked the colour? Lol
    After all he ordered two in that shade.

Should be easy to identify pictures if interior is visible. After all it’s a distinctive shade of green.

Bal

13. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
    Hello Bal

This is great news, thank you.

The only info I had on 337 is that it was on auction at Sotheby's in Hendon on September 5th 1994 and that it did not sell (Lot 346).
    With an estimate of £ 10'000-12'000 ! Registration was NUO 738R.

Maybe the picture enclosed shows it while it was in red, I could not attribute it yet to any other chassis no.

14. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
    Hello Flo

Thanks for the info on your car. That sounds like a comprehensive mechanical/hydraulic and electrical restoration.

I was in the Region of Hassfurt and Bamberg last weekend, but maybe that is not the corner of bavaria you live in.

Best regards
    Roger

15. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hello all,

So I communicated with Fabio Collina yesterday on which K was used by Mario Tozzi Condivi in the UK for journalist test drives such as Autocar (see post 7282 cover photo) and Car magazine, with one the finest ever test drive articles by the eccentric LJK Setright, one of the greatest automotive journalists ever.

Was is 337 or 341? Both sold new with luci del bosco paint, a shade of brown.

Fabio confirmed that 337 was sold new with green interior and 341 with senape (tan).

In the report on the McGraths site it is explained that the green interior was replaced later on by a tan interior because they just could not sell the car with the green interior, buyers did not want it.

Well magazine test drives usually occur as soon as a car is available, never mind the interior color and clearly the interior color of the car being used in the articles is tan not green so it is 341. By the time 337 had a tan interior the focus was on selling it.

It is really not important, does not feed the hungry etc but it had to be clarified.

LJK was a huge fan of the Khamsin by the way: see here:

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/features/car-culture/ljk-setrights-favourite-cars-revealed-car-archive-october-1992/

He is also the one who fell out with Road & Track and they thereafter had a cartoon called Nigel Shiftright about him. He was certainly pompous in a way that could annoy very, very down to earth people but his command of English was outstanding, the way he wrote quite unique. I remember reading many of his articles in my teens, quite an influence.

Best regards,

Marc

16. khamsin433

Jul 16, 2009
    Birmingham, UK
    Full Name:
    Balbir
    Yes Marc, I too agree that LJK was a legend. Reading his articles in Car magazine was always fun. Something must have rubbed off in that I used to own a late 80’s Honda prelude 4ws and now a khamsin, both cars he wrote positively about.

Roger, did you find out anything more on that Celeste blue rhd K that was discovered earlier this year in UK?

Bal

17. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Roger thanks for the photo, so glad the days of stupid ignorant resale red are dead and buried:)

Did I mention that AM120-018 which I sold from Toulouse to Berlin december 2016 will be put back to orange (arancione)? Yep! It was one of three sold new in that color, one has disappeared, the other, 156 is now...red and has been for decades.

It will be quite something to see it in orange in person, need sunglasses and it is not for wall flowers but very very cool:)

Hi Bal, glad to you you were also under good influence!

Yes intrigued by that light blue car, I should have asked Andy Heywood I spoke with him yesterday, still can.

Best regards,

Marc

18. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
    Hi Bal
    Hi Marc

that photo of the celeste blue car is actually linked to on the website of McGrath Maserati, under "Journal"
    and was posted around 2 months ago by them, so they might very well know about it.

I have not found any other mention of it.

Best regards
    Roger

19. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
    Hi Marc

I am not yet satisfied. The Autocar article is from November 1978, so both cars were already 2 years old.
    And the light green can easily appear as senape in different daylight situations.
    The one thing that is clearly different between the two cars is the type of seat used, unless seats were exchanged later.

341 has the older seat type while 337 has the newer seat type. When I check the pictures of "LUE 162 V" supposedly also belonging to 341 sure enough
    they also show the newer seat types, so there is a muddle up. In the picture of MAR10 taken from the front it is also clearly the newer seat type.

So my conclusion would be that 337 is MAR10 and LUE 162 V, and 341 is neither.

Best regards
    Roger

20. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
  21. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
  22. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
    Hello Marc

In his post #3413 Paul replied that 381 always had the same number plate and that LUE 162 V was definitely not his car.
    But you are right, it's very speculative. LUE 162 V could just as well be 399, your Nessie's pet.

But the point is, both LUE 162 V and MAR10 have the newer type seats, while 341 always had the older type.

Best regards
    Roger

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. paul328

paul328 Formula Junior

May 5, 2009
    Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Santoni
    Hello All
    Long time no post. 381 is my car and i have all of the history for the car and it has alawas been the same registration number and couldnt be LUE. Under Uk law you can re register a car with an OLDER registration number eg if you buy a private plate, but cant with a NEWER number.
    S was from 1/8/77 to 31/7/78
    V was from 1/8/79 to 31/7/80
    So what you are looking for is a late car. Mine was registered in 78. I think it was a car destined for Austalia but never went as it has clear not tinted glass as tinted glass was illegal at the time in Australia. I have seen a few UK cars with clear glass.
    MARIO was used on various Italian sports cars from different manufacturers and i think was a privatley owned plate and the owner allowed the cars to be tested. It is now owned by someone local to me.
    I have been ususing mine again as a daily driver to and from my legal office and court.
    Hope everyone is well
    Paul

Nembo1777 likes this.
  24. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #7299 Nembo1777, Jul 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
    Hi Paul good to hear from you again and that you are using 381 again perhaps some fresh photos in pretty Scottish locations (moors, lakes) when you have a chance, or better yet a fresh video on those kinds of wide open flowing roads, I love gold on a Khamsin and not just because mine was:)

Roger, you are right of course well done:)

Now for something a little different I found this online part of a site about a former Maser dealership in...Wales of all places: Dereliott Promotions, they must have been quite small, I never heard of them, amusing period photo, though as far as Welsh ladies, no disrespect meant but I prefer Catherine Zeta Jones:)

25. khamsin433

Jul 16, 2009
    Birmingham, UK
    Full Name:
    Balbir
    Hi Marc,

Found the following site when googled.

http://dereliott-conversions.magix.net/

Looks like they sold a few brands of cars. A Celeste blue k is shown on the Maserati link on the above page

Bal