Dave Maraj | FerrariChat

Dave Maraj

Discussion in 'Florida' started by BartonWorkman, Jul 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
  2. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Has there been any more information published about the accident itself? The first account I read which was on Monday said that his body was found in the water next to a dock, but gave no additional details. I believe it also said that he had been missing for a couple of days.

3. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    RIP I loved that Champion Audi Porsche dealer back in the day and seeing some of their race cars on display. Having a dealership with a race team like that is the dream and he made it work perfectly.

4. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    The thread on Dave Maraj got more attention in the racing forums but a friend of mine sent
    me this report that he found on a local news site...

Apparently he was docked in Boca told his girlfriend he was going back to the boat, it looks like he
    slipped off the boat hit his head and drowned then all went looking for him, divers found him under the
    boat.

There hasn't been any further news of the incident even on the Sun Sentinel site which is quite curious.

BHW

5. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Really odd that there haven't been any details.

Wasn't Champion in trouble with Porsche a few years ago?

6. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Thanks, Barton.

7. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Something was going on. Was it that they were out of trust on their floor plan line? I seem to recall that they were in bankruptcy for a while, but I could be wrong.

8. BoulderFCar

Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I think you’re close. I took my Pcar there and they were closed for a day or something. At the time I thought it had to be something material. It’s THE dealership. But it’s SoFla so who the heck knows .

The gigantic dealer in West Broward had to pull a bunch of business from them.

9. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Does anybody have an idea about ownership succession there? Did Dave have a son in the business at one time?

10. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Mitra Maraj (who I believe is Dave's son) works there.

11. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Nice. My friend went to high school with him for a year in Boca. Supposedly he had a 2001 or so S4 and his dad put on RS4 body panels like their race cars. I hope he stays in the business. Sounds like a true car guy that does that.

GuyIncognito likes this.
  12. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    It seems not that long ago, Brumos Porsche (NE: Porsche of Jacksonville) and Champion Porsche
    were squabbling over east coast Florida territory. The fight was evidently rather nasty at times but
    just like that, Hurley Haywood jumped into the Champion Racing Lola Porsche prototype and the
    waters were smoothed and Hurley recalls fond memories of driving for Dave Maraj alongside
    James Weaver.

In the years that followed, Porsche dealers have popped up in Melbourne, West Palm Beach,
    North Orlando, Miami (The Collection) and of course the huge Porsche of West Broward right in
    Champion's back yard, the argument over east coast territory seems like a long time ago.

That Champion also offers other brands such as Audi (and I'm not sure if they own the Mercedes-Benz
    dealership on that same piece of property or not) they're big enough to absorb the inclusion
    of all these new Porsche dealerships.

BHW

13. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    and Porsche West Broward is owned by....Penske ;)

also, I believe Champion sold the Audi store during the recession. it's now Audi of Coral Springs IIRC.

14. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Oh, okay...

Crazy business.

BHW

15. BoulderFCar

Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I'm sure Porsche needed more coverage for one of the hottest markets in the country and they needed to mitigate risk of having one dealer with a high share number. The Benz dealer by Champion is an Automation (Yuck) store.

16. BoulderFCar

Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I still find it surprising there is no news on a major businessman who died in an accident.

I'm also surprised there is no news of the passenger that was ejected from the Tesla in the Ft Lauderdale accident in May. There will be lawsuits around that incident until the cows come home.

17. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I believe the MBz dealership adjacent to Champion is an Autonation store, as is Land Rover.

The estimable Gerry Sutterfield was an owner (perhaps the first) of the WPB Porsche dealership.

18. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Tom,

Can you post a link to an article about the Tesla accident you mentioned? This is the first I've heard of it. Thanks.

I agree that it's odd that there isn't more information about Maraj's death.

19. BoulderFCar

Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Kids from PineCrest. Doing 116MPH in a 30 zone in Harbor Beach. South past the Yankee Clipper and didn't make the turn. Had a previous stop about 1 month before for 112MPH.
    http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/broward/fort-lauderdale/fl-sb-lauderdale-fatal-tesla-ntsb-20180626-story.html

20. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
  21. BoulderFCar

Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tom
    at 100+ it is astounding a bunch of people weren't killed or injured. As you know, it's packed with other cars and people walking to the beach. The car hit the west side and then went across all the lanes and hit on the east side.

22. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Hmm...what happened to Autohaus Mercedes Benz? Was it sold and renamed MB of Pompano Beach? We had a family friend come out of retirement since he got bored and sold cars there sometime ago when it was called Autohaus. I haven't been there in ages.

Also, what's that gigantic Wal-Mart store used now for next to Champion? It appears to be labeled as Champion Porsche building now.

23. BoulderFCar

Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Autohaus has been Autonation for a while. The Walmart is full of Porsches. Makes sense, that location was a car security nightmare.

BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.