Manual Spder 360 vs Non-manual Coupe 360? | FerrariChat

Manual Spder 360 vs Non-manual Coupe 360?

Discussion in '360/430' started by JamesR, Aug 1, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JamesR

JamesR Rookie

Aug 5, 2004
    I am torn between two 360s... One is 2000 with 24K miles, coupe, sequential shift... the other is 2003 with 45K miles, spider, manual shift. They are both recently serviced and come with great service records... Priced similarly... I plan to drive ~5K miles/year mostly on the weekends, and keep it for the next 3-4 years. Don't plan to modify or track (but who knows)...

Would like to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

2. MD355

MD355 Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2004
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    MD
    There is no question, you should go with manual !!
    If its your first Ferrari, preferably go RED !!
    Spider or Coupe, both are fine !! You will enjoy both !!

gt1995 likes this.
  3. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    One other advice has always been to buy the newest of the model which would lead to the 2003

gt1995 likes this.
  4. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Surely in today's market age & manual & spider should trump mileage so the values should not be the same ?

gt1995 likes this.
  5. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    Neither of those cars are what you want. Figure out exactly what you want, then search nationwide for that exact car and don’t settle for a car that doesn’t fit your desires exactly.

I'm 360 Canuck and BlueC2 like this.
  6. Drestless

Drestless Formula 3

Oct 1, 2014
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Jam
    #6 Drestless, Aug 1, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
    I won't be surprised if this thread turns in to a "Manual vs F1" escapade. :D

Just buy the Ferrari that you like. Everybody here will have each of our own preference, this shouldn't change your own preference.

If you like rowing through gears then go for stick shift, if you like automatic then go with paddles. If your not going to track it stiffness shouldn't be a factor, so you can just decide if you like wind on your head or not. If you tracking it, hands down should go with coupe.

The answer will boil down to what you like as your new girlffriend / mistress. You don't ask somebody which girlfriend to choose right? ;)

Either choice, it's a Ferrari. One of the best breed of car out there. :cool:

vinny likes this.
  7. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    You need to drive both and decide what you like, no other opinion matters. Remember, there are 'must have' and 'like to have'. Must have is about what can't be or isn't easily changed. Think shields, color and the like. Like to have is about things you can change to make the car exactly what you want like exhaust, challenge grills, etc. Things like carpet color may not be the exact choice but you may grow to like it very much so keep an open mind of these things. There are some things that appear important but really are not like power seats; how often do ANY of the owners really move the seat? I can tell you, never! SO power seats just add weight without gain.

Once you settled on what you want and the parameters it all comes down to condition. Not just service records because those don't tell you everything. What is the real condition of the car? Did the owner take care of ball joints, motor & transmission mounts, and the sticky bits already? That stuff is worth a lot when considering a car. Parts are expensive so you want one that is well sorted.

8. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Just went through this while trying to find my first car. I tend to agree that you really do have to drive them. That’s why I ended up with a 430 spider instead of a 360 coupe like I *thought* I wanted.

The right car will just feel right. F1 in 360 takes some patience and understanding. Higher miles could manifest itself in paint chips, squeaks, rattles etc that may annoy you.

if you don’t think its realistic to drive both, go drive the most likely and see how you feel about it and go from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Blitz88

Blitz88 Karting

Spiders are somewhat always more in demand than coupes, and stick is more in demand than paddle, no?

10. JamesR

JamesR Rookie

Aug 5, 2004
    Thank you for the amazing advice, all.

Although I am more enlightened, I am even more confused at the same time...;) I would love to test drive them, but I cannot find anything locally. Decisions, decisions...

gt1995 likes this.
  11. MD355

MD355 Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2004
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    MD
    Unless both are the same color, get the "resale RED" !!

12. BAD430BENZ

BAD430BENZ Formula Junior

May 13, 2014
    EL PASO , TX
    Full Name:
    JASON
    Do your own thing.....Don't base a vehicle purchase on what others opinions are !!!

13. 67bmer

67bmer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2015
    MD
    ALL convertibles eventually need a new top.

If you live in a climate that you can use it frequently you might really enjoy it. If you don't, might be a more of a nuisance and probably a lot louder. I have spider (not a Ferrari) that I enjoy, but I prefer coupes.

14. Blitz88

Blitz88 Karting

I’m an “anything but red” believer. Sold my Azzuro California 430 Spider for a Huge premium over red cars last year.

15. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Yes, but we will all die too but that shouldn't stop us from living. All Ferraris will need more love and money than normal cars, or no cars, and that's not a reason to not buy one. I have a 430 Spider and a Coupe and the Spider is much more fun. But I'm a convertible person. It's a personal thing, but if you're buying a Ferrari and you like an open top - go the whole hog.

Bigilo, shifter and Skidkid like this.
  16. MD355

MD355 Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2004
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    MD
    There is no question about it, when it comes to resale, RED Ferraris sell for more money and much much faster !!!

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  17. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Yes, when buying a "fun/toy" car make sure it is exactly what you want, especially if it is the first one. Just by the post it appears OP has not clearly decided what he wants. May have to kick many tires to decide exactly what that is.

18. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Step 1: GET THIS OUT OF YOUR HEAD!

Looking for a limited production car only "locally" is a surefire way to never get what you want for the price you want to pay. You are already making a huge purchase, why not spend a couple extra bucks to make sure you get exactly what you want to fit your needs? OR possibly save a ton of money buying out of a different market area where the demand is different. I'm not sure I have ever bought a car locally. Look nationwide for the car that has the color, mileage, tranny, etc. you want at the price you want...GET A PPI no matter what, you may have to get a few. Go see the car then drive or ship it to you. Then be happy. Don't just "settle" for a car because it's close. That's a huge mistake.

randkin likes this.
  19. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Good luck with your decision !

20. Pairodice

Pairodice Rookie

Nov 20, 2013
    Gwynedd Valley, PA
    Full Name:
    George
    It will always be hard to resell a high mile car.
    The coupe is lighter and less coplex.
    Some repairs require removal of the convertible assembly, like intake manifold gaskets, for example.
    But the choice is yours.
    Where might you live that there is nothing to test drive.

21. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Regardless of what you buy, enjoy the search, the sleepless nights smiling, dreaming of the ride, the tire kicking, the youtube 360 scanning, the cajoling with car mates...... and the day it arrives! I've had my for almost 2 mo's..... and I would not have done anything different! Enjoy!

22. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    I won’t comment on those cars specifically, but I think manual spiders esp red, are a fantastic combination.
    I would just wait until a lower mileage one comes around, and it will.

Although I went for a manual hardtop...the lines are a little nicer and it’s a slightly less complex car, I often wish I’d wait for a spider...i only drive in nice weather anyway.

23. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    I don’t wish I had a coupe instead of my Spider... I wish I had a coupe IN ADDITION TO my Spider. :) You can never have too many 360s.

one4torque likes this.
  24. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    #24 Need4Spd, Aug 5, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
    This is so apples to oranges. There is coupe vs spider and manual vs F1. The spider is a manual so perhaps less prone to a transmission maintenance issue, but the spider top could present issues. The coupe looks better than a spider with the top up, but the top-down spider holds its own on looks while presenting a fresh air experience you could not get with a coupe.

As others note, it has to be your decision, as this is a weekend car, not for utility. Buy what would make you most pleased with the purchase and driving experience. If you got the spider, do you live in an area where you could drop the top much? Are you the type who would put the top down even in less than ideal conditions? If not, maybe that answers your coupe vs spider issue.

Are you proficient with the third pedal, or wish to be so with more practice? Do you enjoy rowing the gear lever? If you only enjoy the car on weekend point A to point A drives, clutching in stop and go traffic probably doesn’t matter much, but if shifting a three pedal will be more chore than fun, that would point you to an F1, though that generation is not nearly as crisp as the modern DCT you find on 458s and later cars.

Whatever you decide, do a nationwide search, not just local to get what you want. FWIW, I have a gated manual spider in Argento that I wouldn’t trade for anything else. But that’s just me.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app