Why I think the 360 is pretty much perfect... | FerrariChat

Why I think the 360 is pretty much perfect...

Discussion in '360/430' started by NexLevel, Aug 5, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NexLevel

NexLevel Karting

Jul 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Greg Thomas
    Guys,

I've had my 360 for about 3 weeks now and I can definitely say this car is everything I thought and more. I've been giving some thought on why I love this car so much and here are my reasons.

Speed: 400 HP on a 3200 lb car is plenty. The car is fast and there is no denying it. Carving up the back roads and daily driving, there is zero point of having more power. Of course, F430, 458 or even 488 gives you a ton of more power but there is almost zero chance of using it on the roads unless you want to get your license revoked and/or crash your car.

Sound: My car came with a Tubi exhaust and the exhaust note is heavenly. When idling in the garage, it sounds like a muscle car. Yet when you floor it, the raspy F1 sound come out. F430s/458s don't sound any better in my opinion.

Looks: A Ferrari is a Ferrari and pretty much everyone knows that. People who don't know anything about cars, mistake the 360 as if it was a new Ferrari off the lot. And people that are into cars, still admire it because it's a Ferrari. I've had a ton of thumbs up, "cool car" yells and people taking their cameras out to take shots. If attention is what you're looking for, I don't see how a F430, 458 or 488 will get you more stares than just a 360. Plus some nice wheels and lowered stance makes a huge difference.

Price: Now that 360s can be found in the 60s-70s...although still expensive for most, is reasonable. Unlike the 100k+ for F430s and 150k+ for 458s. Unless you have more money than you know what to do with, a 360 is definitely a bargain.

Interior: I know the seats, steering wheel and panels might look a bit dated...but with a few swaps I believe the interior is just as good as the F430s and 458s. I swapped all of my panels to CF and the interior looks 100% better. Upgraded the tach to yellow and that made a huge difference. The only things left is the steering wheel and seats which will come later. But after that is all done, I don't see how this interior is any worse when compared to the newer models.

F1: I am getting the TCU flashed to CS revision soon. I hear this makes a world of difference in shifting. I know it not as fast as the F430 or dual clutch of 458 but even now I don't think its too bad. I'll have to see how much more I like it afterwards.

Overall I love the fact that the 360 feels like a sports car with heavy steering, low clearance, loud exhaust note and is fast. This isn't a car that you can fall asleep at the wheel, it takes effort to drive. This car is a dream car and I can see why people say Ferraris have a soul.

2. billy.gif

billy.gif Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2017
    Finland
    I have the latest "non CS" -Transmission Control Unit version flashed and its a bit too .... "sophisticated". But still, I like the analogue feel this gar gives. Even 430 is more manettino, traction control, electronic stability control, etc stuff not to mention 458. Things I do not like as I like to enjoy my cars as analogue as I can. Plus the F1 -system during WoT in some rural canyon roads or at race track, its heavenly brutal!! I simply LOVE the feeling it adds to the car's characteristics. IMHO the dual clutch system in 458 and 488 are far, far too perfect, too sophisticated systems, too ... neutral, too easy to deal with. Those require basically 0% of thinking from the driver.

Kind of Lamborghini's Gallardo & Murcielago vs. Huracan & Aventador. I prefer the old ladies much, much more. Especially the huge hammer hitting your back when upshifting during WoT in a Murcielago, thats just something off this world.

Granted the Aventador still has the old school gearbox but cars like 360, Gallardo, Muchielago - those require so much more effort and basic knowledge to drive compared modern super-hyper cars.

Just my 2c.

3. Shinigami

Shinigami Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 2, 2005
    Gland Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Heikki
    Speed: I wouldn't mind more ponies under the hood, but it's not a deterrent to having a great time. Thanks to the slightly lower torque, I'm also less likely to end up on some video having smashed into a wall when hammering the go-fast pedal.
    Sound: I also have a Tubi, I like it very much!
    Looks: Yeah, some people think it's brand new, as I keep her clean and shiny. They're often surprised when I tell them that mine is a 2002 and it originally went on sale in 1999 (wasn't it first unveiled in 1998?).
    Price: Definitely attractive in my opinion too, especially the F1's.
    Interior: I have the CF seats and four-point harnesses, I don't have any other CF bits, I'm quite happy with the aluminum look of the dash and door parts.

Enjoying my lady very much, and in 30 mins she shall be at our local Cars and Coffee :)

Caphill and 02360spider like this.
  4. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Some cars you lust after, then purchase and enjoy then the thrill wears off.

I’m finding my interest and attraction increasing as I own this car and really get to know it.

It’s really very interesting to look at and study. Such a work of art.

5. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    While I do not share most of your opinions, I am glad that you are enjoying your cars, and I hope you continue to enjoy them. It's time to go detail the newest 4 wheel member of the family.

6. cre_man

cre_man Karting

Aug 8, 2017
    The Netherlands
    Dont forget the awesome Looking engine bay!

KC360 FL and dang2407 like this.
  7. psb1013

psb1013 Karting

Feb 4, 2017
    #7 psb1013, Aug 5, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
    For me, power and speed are very important factors in owning a Ferrari, not to mention legendary visuals. If I wanted a boulevard cruiser, I would keep driving my Maserati GT. For me, it would be embarrassing to be overtaken from a traffic light by some guy in a Genesis or a SUV. Yes, the 360 is a classically-beautiful Ferrari and a great value, but, for me, its performance attributes in the current world just doesn't measure up, esp. when judged against other sports cars let alone super cars. For me, I chose the 430 because I think it possesses some of the classic looks of the 360 and other older Ferrari's along with decent performance by modern-world standards. For me, the 430 strikes the perfect balance between looks, modern-world performance, and price.

Also, I've seen (and heard) 430's w/aftermarket headers and exhaust systems that sound just as awesome (if not more) than any other Ferrari.

8. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Just bought my 3rd 360 Spider. I would have to say I agree with the OP. Gated, alloy body with timeless stying and raw visceral performance. Nothing else to talk about.

tonyc likes this.
  9. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    What kind of seats are you looking to upgrade to? Interested in seeing what direction you go and options you considered.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

02360spider likes this.
  10. Formula Uno

Formula Uno F1 Veteran

Oct 8, 2008
    New York City
    Performance wise, just how much more "advanced" does a 430 feel over a 360?

/

11. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Enthusiasts buy cars for the enjoyment of driving them. For some, the adrenaline rush only comes from the fastest and most capable. For others, it’s the involvement of driving the car. Where you can drive it to enjoy its capabilities most often controls what you really like. You might be disappointed by a 360 on a track if in your run group you are constantly being passed, but on a public road, you can keep up with most anything if you really tried hard and both drivers didn’t want to go to jail or worse.

I agree with the OP about the 360 checking most boxes, only I’d check one more box, that for a gated manual, for a “perfect” 360 you could enjoy the most on public roads. So long as you aren’t the type to drag race that other car next to you (too many modern cars to list that can top a 360), the 360 is perfect for that lightly traveled winding road. And as the OP pointed out, it’s relatively affordable. At least compared to the 355, it’s not too bad on maintenance, either, though there a lot of weaknesses compared to a 458 or 488. I wish him great joy with his 360!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

G. Pepper, billy.gif, Graz and 2 others like this.
  12. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    Another reason the 360 is awesome: as far as I can tell it it’s the last road car with a cinquevalvole engine ever produced by Ferrari.

13. 02360spider

02360spider Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Dartmouth
    Full Name:
    Richard oliveira
    I love my 360 but I have yet to experience one of my dream cars that is a TR one day lol..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  14. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    TR - on my list..... should funds for such a purchase float up :)...... I suspect that car will go up up UP in value.
    Just not sure if my main budget can survive the trip :)

02360spider likes this.
  15. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    It’s impossible to hate the TR, but I’ve never loved it enough go own. I’d go for the curvier looks of a 550 Maranello or Aston instead.

Dano360NC likes this.
  16. 02360spider

02360spider Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Dartmouth
    Full Name:
    Richard oliveira
    Yeah I buy my cars at auction damaged cheap at least I think so lol. The TR never pop up pretty rare.i hope one day! I can't right now as I just got my 360 with in the year and just bought a 2015 r8 v10+ so I'm done for now.i also having a wife that does nothing but go in the pool and not work so that doesn't help lol.

17. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    there really is no other variant in the f line-up that looks like the 360. It is a cleansheet design. It was not morphed from any other car.... it is not a face-lift.

it really should not be compared to an f430.... totally different car....... all imho.

BTW - I would love to own an f430...... it is on the list. Not hating it at all.

If funds were unlimited, per my current state of mind my f car buy list is as follows:
    a. current car 01 360 gated modena,
    NEXT in order of f car dream spreeeeeee:
    1. 458 italilia
    2. TR
    3. 328 GTS
    4....... and really dreaming something vintage...... to round out the collection :)...

RANDY6005, Caphill and 02360spider like this.
  18. 02360spider

02360spider Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Dartmouth
    Full Name:
    Richard oliveira
    I have owned 3 db7 vantage 1 auto 1 6spd 1 convertible older models 00,01,02, v12 there okay everyone thinks there jaguar's lol. I had a 2008 v8 vantage it was nice but didn't make me feel they way I do when i look at my Ferrari or get the attention of the Ferrari.the TR and even the 348 for me has a special place in my heart maybe because I'm a 80s baby but 1 day she will be mine.

19. 02360spider

02360spider Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Dartmouth
    Full Name:
    Richard oliveira
    Dream car list for me would be if I was rich lol

Tr
    96 gts wish I never sold mine
    Delorean
    Diablo/or contach

20. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Oooh countache.. you stole my dream sir!

02360spider likes this.
  21. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    That’s why I think it would be nice to try for a DD instead of just doing another 911 DD which is kind of the obvious choice.

02360spider likes this.
  22. 02360spider

02360spider Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Dartmouth
    Full Name:
    Richard oliveira
    I had a bentley gt for a couple years if I was doing another daily that would be it especially since early models are cheap.

23. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    I wouldn’t mind a little more torque...and some creature comforts in the interior. In that sense, I think I’d prob be a little happier in a Gallardo.
    Otherwise, I agree with the OP.

24. The Nutsack

The Nutsack Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2014
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Mike
    This makes sense if your goal is to impress others or street race. I take my car on long drives on public roads. I enjoy the experience of pulling from 4-8k and shifting. When I've driven the 458/488 the pulls are so fast and time between shifts so short that it feels like premature ejaculation...you can't mash the throttle for more than a fraction of a second before needing to shift. It's fun in it's own way, don't get me wrong...especially on track.

I went in four years ago to buy a 430 and ended up in a 360. I have said this before, but the 360 was a perfectly balanced concept...the engine wasn't trying to just max HP...it was the right amount of power and feeling for THAT car. Once the Gallardo came out with so much more HP, the arms race was on and all supercar builders started chasing crazy HP at the expense of an overall balanced driving experience. They had no choice...Ferrari can't be sitting there with a measly 450 HP when Lambos, Mercs, Audis, Lexuses, Fords, Dodges, Chevys all have 600+

Having said all that, I am probably on borrowed time before jumping to a 458 just because I want a more modern car with reliability, safety, amenities, etc. For now I'm holding out...

25. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #25 up4speed, Aug 6, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
    OP Congrats on your new ride!!
    I agree with a lot of what you said, and I really enjoyed my 360 (for 6 years).
    BUT.....I loved it so much, and driving it was like a drug, I just needed more!
    A few months ago I picked up a 458, and I couldn't be happier (actually I could, if it had an acceptable sound system). The car is truly amazing. The quality, the speed, the sound, the amenities, and most important, I like it's dual personality. The 360 was a great sports car, and it always acted like one. However, the 458 covers a much larger range. When in sport mode and the exhaust valves in normal mode (I have a capristo controller), the car is very civilized and feels more like a grand touring car, great for rallys, etc. When I want to play, I put it in Race mode, open the exhaust valves, and put the windows down (racing seats are a must if you like what I'm saying). The car transforms into a complete exciting animal! The feel, the speed, the sound, the telepathic shifting...indescribable. Makes the 360 feel broken in comparison!
    Bottom line, both are great cars, but don't test drive the 458 unless you are ready to buy. I highly recommend if you have the means. I was going to "buy one in about a year"...or a few months after my test drive (started looking that night to find "the right one", lol), whichever came first, lol.