Are you cautious telling people you own a Ferrari.? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Are you cautious telling people you own a Ferrari.?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Flyingbrick242, Aug 7, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    My daughter and I go to the local car shows regularly. We don’t present the car, though. It’s all muscle cars around here and of course vettes, we park off to the side and look at the other cars.
    I know my daughter wishes we entered but it feels weird to me. Most of those cars have hundreds of hours of restoration and modding and have survived 30+ years. I don’t want to be like the late model vette guys that just bought their way in. It’s ******-y, to me. I think exotics often get a bit of a ****** stigma attached to them as it is. I’m hypersensitive to that.

I suppose I treat my car like a mistress...I dont talk about it, flaunt it or post it on social media. I enjoy it in a personal way.
    I have family that I’ve never mentioned it to, they may only know about it if other family members told them.

billy.gif and Texas Forever like this.
  2. Chadly

Chadly Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2010
    Bothell, WA
    Full Name:
    Chad
    This thread makes me laugh. You guys are dreaming most of this stuff up in your head. 95% of the world could care less if you have or drive a Ferrari. I get treated better by people far more than worse when they find out I have a Ferrari. The only person that sees that your horse is higher, is you when you look in the mirror. :confused:

3. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    That's what I do. My wife used to tell people all the time. I made her stop. Some neighborhood kids found out and they often come over when the garage door is up. They ask nicely and they stand and stare with big grins. They get rides on their birthdays.

gsworld2014 and killer58 like this.
  4. jkstevens2

jkstevens2 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2015
    Winter Park, FL
    Full Name:
    JK Stevens
    I have had this discussion many times and struggled with it before I bought my Ferrari.

Its hard to be humble about owning a Ferrari! Like the prev f-chatters, I too worked hard and made good business and personal finance decisions, but I always feel crappy about myself when I put my car down to make someone feel better about themselves. Sure I have an interest in other fast muscle cars and I genuinely ask questions and complement folks on their rides but I never make excuses or say negative things about my Ferrari.

I drive in my own lane! I dont worry about what other people think or say and frankly, I get a kick out of seeing the expression on peoples faces that dont think I am worthy or cant afford a Ferrari. My confidence with my Ferrari comes from the fact that I do a majority of the service work myself. I tell people, I tore this whole engine down, replaced this and that, replaced the timing belts...... I am not just a wallet, I am proud of the fact that I am not scared to get my hands dirty and that I push my brain to understand the inner working of a Ferrari.

Being associated with Ferrari tells other people that you demand excellence and that you are ultimately someone they should want to be around. It shows people that you have a strong work ethic, something thats hard to find today. Ask yourself, Are you a great man or a good man?

HJZ360, one4torque and Flyingbrick242 like this.
  5. fotostars

fotostars Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Bay Area
    Same as most here. I don't brag about it and I'm not offering the info. My close social circle know me well enough to understand why I have one.
    I talk to people that talk to me about it and I'm trying not to be an *******, that's about it...

Re: the sticker on the pickup truck , I did my own version on the Ferrari (I am a Spec Miata racer)...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    It´s just an old Ferrari. Most people who work and are payed ok can have one, at least in Sweden. Don´t really see what the fuss is about. There are many cars on the road driven by families that cost almost as much. Those cars should be the real head turners because someone payed a lot for something that drops in value fast.

7. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    Of course I tell everyone I have a Ferrari! I don’t even give people my name when I’m introduced, I say “Hi Bob nice to meet you I HAVE A FERRARI” and if they give me the proper respects as their superior, THEN MAYBE I’ll tell them my name.

Haha just kidding I don’t bring it up but don’t try to hide it, if they think it’s cool and want to talk cars or give their kids rides around the block then I do it.

HJZ360, MalcQV, sakodik and 1 other person like this.
  8. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Dew- that’s funny man. Ha!

Reminds me of the snl skit w will Ferrell... telling his kids to respect him because. “I drive a stratus!” Over and over.

Zed- its All relative. Most Americans don’t have an emergency fund greater than 2500, much less disp inc for a 70-80k auto w no warranty.

Dewinator likes this.
  9. billy.gif

billy.gif Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2017
    Finland
    +1.

In my whole country of 5,7 million residents there's only like 350 Ferrari's in total. Most of which are kept in garages and driven maybe 500-1000 miles per year, IF even that. Granted my 2001 360 is a OLD Ferrari, but it's still A Ferrari. Most of "general public" doesn't have a clue how old car it is, only the car enthusiast's knows its true age. And in my country, a newer Ferrari (458 or 488) cost about 300-600+ k in U.S Dollars due to our ridiculous car taxation. So all these normal fellas instantly think that I'm really rich guy, if only they knew better...

Therefore I keep quite low profile with any acquaints. Not even my relatives know about my Ferrari, only my father and my sister. If someone asks, I admit the ownership but I won't go and tell anyone about the car at ... for example in my job or any "get-together" events such as BBQ parties or similar.

I'm just an average Joe with average job and average income and I own a 17 year old relatively cheaply maintainable Ferrari 360, nothing else.

10. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
  11. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Nice mondo! Only do this at risk of being stoned by your village :)))

12. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    When conversation comes around to talking about which cars we have, I don't have any issue with saying I have a C5 Corvette convertible but always feel pretentious when I say I have a Ferrari, too. It's in my mind that it's over the top for others to understand.

13. Drestless

Drestless Formula 3

Oct 1, 2014
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Jam
    #38 Drestless, Aug 8, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    When folks find out I have a Rari, the next question is always "What do you do?". My response now is "I'm a pimp".

Their looking for the "get-rich-easy" answer so I just give it to them. :p

one4torque likes this.
  14. celestialcoop

celestialcoop Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2006
    Full Name:
    Coop
    Greetings Jim,
    Totally off-topic: 'trust that you and yours are safe.
    Keep us posted.
    Coop

15. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    I don’t tell anyone anything I buy, since in my small community since I’m a business owner most people automatically assume everything I have, buy, or own was somehow pilfered or taken from them somehow. My wife even has friends that come over and more or less say that. Heck even my personal truck is hidden away and few people know I have it since I generally drive one of my work trucks. We don’t even talk about vacations we take.

There are people in the world that genuinely appreshiate a person working hard and attaining goals but as with most small towns most figure you are out to screw them over somehow. I have a close group of friends and they all support the things I do ect ect.

HJZ360 and Texas Forever like this.
  16. wfu97

wfu97 Karting

Jul 15, 2018
    North Carolina USA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Great thread! Thank you to the OP for bringing it up. I’m new to fchat and shopping for my first Ferrari, and I’ve already been thinking about this subject. I appreciate everyone’s thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

17. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    a weekend getaway to laguna seca and it's sunny?! that's a pretty good weekend!

Manda racing likes this.
  18. fc2

fc2 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Nov 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley Ca.
    Full Name:
    Frank C.
    I don't brag about my cars or anything else I own, for that matter. The topic of cars will often come up at dinners and other events and when asked, I don't shy away from the fact that I have some awesome cars, but if I'm not asked, I don't mention it.

I do drive my cars to work daily though. If I didn't, they'd hardly get any use which would be sad. In silicon valley it's not uncommon to see a lot of nice cars tooling around.

Skidkid likes this.
  19. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    This is what I do. Even if I don't have the collection you have.

20. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    I used to work w a Ferrari owner yrs ago who was overtly outward about his car::

He wore Ferrari ties, socks and a belt to the office,

Then upon setting up a group drive w a few office mates:
    1) he would appoint himself as the judge as to whether your car worthy of a group ride w his f car,
    2) he passed out damage waivers, that he wanted others to sign if we were to damage his car,

I would say if you don’t follow this behavior you are good....

Gizzi and Chadly like this.
  21. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    Wow, that's a little outrageous!

Gizzi likes this.
  22. becausephilchow

becausephilchow Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2016
    Hong Kong
    I never openly tell people I own one. I do post photos of it, but not on my personal accounts.

If it's with a bunch of car people, and we're chatting about it, then I don't mind, but I'll never be like "HEY GUYS I OWN A FERRARI LOOK AT ME"

Though, most of my close circle own much nicer cars, so, it's really nothing.

23. Gizzi

Gizzi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 3, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Gezim
    Hahahahaha. I never knew dickheads like that actually existed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Giz- at first I thought he was just being cheeky....... but nope. Full on tool mode.

Gizzi likes this.
  25. Mechanical Dad

Mechanical Dad Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
    Having wanted one 32 years before I got mine, it's hard for me not to want to run through the streets and yell "I have one!". But, I don't not openly display it in conversation, unless I know and trust the person. My Porsche I use all the time because it ties into my business of repairing engines and equipment (It had been neglected and sitting for 23 years when I found it, now I use it as a daily). I've had a few clients see it and just be luke warm, but most people, (friends and family), their reactions are fantastic. It's a car that is supposed to make people happy and excited. I'm still that 4 year old boy with his 308 GTB matchbox car on the inside, so I pass on the excitement when needed.

Sent from my SM-G930V using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Flyingbrick242 likes this.