Member Big Green Egg Thread! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Member Big Green Egg Thread!

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by rob lay, Jul 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Apple, pineapple, something like that. Apple is what is most widely used, pineapple adds some seeetness. It’s sort of a pain to keep the juice in the foil without leaking and and don’t let it burn in there as it tends to do if not checked or if too hot.

2. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Adding butter to a basting liquid like that sounds about right to me. May try that next time.

3. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Depending on the meat, I will sometimes baste with apple vinegar that is mixed with the dry rub. I do that more for pork shoulders.

4. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Yes, apple cider vinegar is a nice complement to pork, especially spare ribs, which can be rich and fatty Acid helps cut through that. I've only used S&P, garlic powder and paprika for a dry rub on ribs.

Rob - have you tried brisket yet in the Egg?

T

5. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I use Stump Chunks to start. Works well and the smoke smells great. I need to try the paraffin cubes. Use lump from a local grocery store, works well. Saw some at Walmart but didn’t need any so maybe next time. Somewhere I have a link to a site where a guy reviews tons of lump, probably posted here somewhere, interesting read, but really limited to what’s available locally.

Haven’t tried smoking yet. Grilled tuna steaks for the first time yesterday and it came out great. 5 min per side was slightly too much at 400. Was barely pink inside. I used a grill mat for the first time because of the tuna. It worked ok. Grilled asparagus with it also.

Love the egg for pizza, chicken, steak, veggies...

tomc and rob lay like this.
  6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
  7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
  8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
  9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Time 1:55 temp really consistent 225-240 the 2 hours. Just wrapped in foil no BBQ this time. No apple cider vinegar, but trying something else.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    tomc likes this.
  11. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Dom likes this.
  12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Time 4:00 the best I’ve ever done! Not even sure what I need to work on next. Not much of a bark and wetter than my past ones, but I really like! Anyone have advice looking at them? More smoke?

daviday and Dom like this.
  13. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Those look killer. Start working on your brisket skills!
    T

14. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    That looks awesome, Rob.

Come to think of it, I don’t think I’ve ever finished a meal, licked no my fingers, and said to myself, “that was too much smoke”.

Matt

rob lay likes this.
  15. powerpig

powerpig F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 12, 2008
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I have several Komado cookers including the Big Green Egg and a stainless steel version made by Viking.

Andrew (Neurobeaker) had a chance to sit among them last weekend.

It's a good idea to match the wood to the meat. Use Apple chunks for pork, Cherry for poultry Hickory for Beef, etc. You want the smoke to enhance the flavor, not overpower it.

Also, make sure your protein is at room temp before you put it on the Egg. Cooking straight out of the refrigerator results in the meat cooking unevenly.

You all probably already know this, but never use regular charcoal in a Komado Cooker. It results in bitter food and a soot buildup that's hard to get rid of.

TexasF355F1 likes this.
  16. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Appreciate the tips, glad to have a pro commenting! Will switch to the apple wood, about out of cherry anyway. Do you like the idea of apple cider vinegar 2nd stage in foil to soften the bark etc?

We are using the Big Green Egg charcoal.

17. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Look great Rob! Most importantly, how did you like the taste and consistency?

And what liquid did you end up adding to the foil?

What internal temp did you pull them at?

And total cook time?

18. powerpig

powerpig F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 12, 2008
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Rob, before wrapping the ribs, I give them a few squirts of honey, sprinkle with brown sugar and add a few squirts of chipotle sauce. I also unwrap during the last hour of the cook.

rob lay likes this.
  19. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    taste was great, could have used more smoke and I actually want a slight bark. much improved over last time using thin baby backs with less meat and harder bark.

we didn't have any apple cider vinegar, so used malt vinegar. I have no clue if an OK substitute or not, couldn't taste the malt, but it worked great softening everything up.

Didn't take a temp. 220-240 degrees 2 hours smoke, 1:45 foil, and :15 open.

20. powerpig

powerpig F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 12, 2008
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #45 powerpig, Jul 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
    I think someone already mentioned the 3-2-1 method. 3 hours unwrapped, 2 hours wrapped, 1 hour unwrapped. Works pretty well.

If you haven't already, invest in a good instant read thermometer, like a Thermapen. Also a thermometer for the grate temp. A cheap oven one will work fine. The dome temp vs the grate temp can vary widely.

vincent355 and rob lay like this.
  21. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    Image Unavailable, Please Login I got my BGE in June (thank you awesome wife!!) but only got to start using it the last couple of weeks due to fire restrictions for our neighborhood. This thing is awesome! Did lamb rib chops, pork chops and baby back ribs last weekend This weekend did pizza last night and ribeye with brandy mushroom cream sauce, shinto peppers and asparagus tonight. If you have not tried one be careful, they are addictive.

rob lay and ridege55 like this.
  22. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    Since we're talking ribs. I'm a KJ owner...

1. Rub/prep/do whatever you do that you like. I do salt, pepper, cumin, onion and garlic powder. I got away from any brown sugar.
    2. Smoke 45 mins-1 hour, heat deflector in place, I like oak and apple. heat never gets above 200.
    3. Get an aluminum pan that fits on the grill. put in 1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup apple juice or bourbon or whatever...I'm okay with cutting the racks if needed at this point.
    4. seal ribs in an aluminum pan to braise/steam for the next 1.5 hours. Keep temp 250-300. (remove heat deflector)
    5. remove everything from the grill, turn the heat up.
    6. carefully sauce and turn ribs on higher heat 350-400 to get a nice char and to bake some of the sauce on. this is a 2-3 minute process.

7. excuse the poor staging as I dug in before photographing...

sjd

rob lay likes this.
  23. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    ...and if we're talking pork butt...

That's hours and hours right around 200. be sure to measure temp at the grate as well as believing the general thermometer. There can be an substantial difference in air at grate temp and air above the meat.

sjd

rob lay likes this.
  24. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
  25. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    How did the chicken turn out? I like to brine my chicken, then use the plate setter, for more of an indirect cook. Takes longer, but less issues with dried out chicken...T