Which Ferrari designs have aged the best... | FerrariChat

Which Ferrari designs have aged the best...

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by davemqv, Aug 19, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I thought it would be fun to post a list of the Ferrari's I feel have aged the best over the years, and see the lists of others as well.

By "aged the best" I mean specifically which designs look better now than they did when they were new. You can explain why or not, up to you.

I'm also sticking to normal production models but you can list any Ferrari. Name your top 3...

My top Ferrari's that have aged the best over the years -

1) 400i
    2) Early Mondial coupes (8 or QV)
    3) 365 GTC/4

I thought the 400i was too stately as a kid. Now it seems extremely elegant and yet very masculine. I always liked the Mondial but speaking objectively, the car has aged better than most. It was an odd car when new, but now it's oddness is rather iconic of an era. It also suffered a lot from unimaginative photography and looks better in real life, and in modern photos - which seem to indicate that over time people started noticing the aggressive nature of the car from various angles. Same thing with the c/4. The bumpers and hunchback can look awkward in photos, but in real life you see how they pull you into the rest of the design, like bridges in a song. Honourable mention to 308 Dino. I also appreciate the 308 GT/4 more now than I did as a kid, but I also always kind of liked it.

Two bonus categories if you'd like-

Which 3 designs have remained timelessly beautiful throughout the years?
    1) 275 GTB shortnose. Never not the most elegant Ferrari.
    2) 365 GTS/4. Still the most beautiful convertible ever made...even more so than the 275 NART spyder, imo.
    3) 246 Dino GT. One of the all time most beautiful car designs. Hands down.

Which 3 designs have aged the worst?
    1) 308 GTB/GTS.
    2) 355
    3) 430

The 308's are still beautiful but they seem more awkwardly angular and less curvy than they did to me as a kid.
    The 355 was very of it's time but it seems to have suffered the fate of too many 90's cars and now looks a little under-designed. Too indistinguishable from other cars of the era, IMO.
    The 430 is a nice looking car but it's too in between what preceeded it and followed it. The 360 and the 458 both seem like purer, truer versions of themselves.

2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Enzo. I thought it looked like an angry anteater when it first came out, but lately have grown to like it.

JakeF355, Ripped Fat, dmundy and 6 others like this.
  3. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    The 355 is a timeless design and will remain epic. Certainly the pop up headlights place the car in a certain era but that is not a negative.

AVFPolo, Mbutner, WATSON and 14 others like this.
  4. Mmckee

Mmckee Formula 3
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2016
    Alta Loma, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I agree with Dave. For not aging well, my 355 draws one of the biggest crowds at every car event I attend. I don’t even know the below Merc guy: Image Unavailable, Please Login

audi_328, DrewH and davemqv like this.
  5. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Not sure how much agreement you'll get with these two either their inclusion or the logic

I think both the F40 and to some extent the 612 now look better than when new

randkin, TheDiffuser, DrewH and 2 others like this.
  6. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #6 davemqv, Aug 19, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
    I'm all for differences in taste and opinion...not just having people agree with me. If we all liked and had to compete for the same cars, most of us would be unable to have them.

But it would be great if, in addition to disagreeing with my lists, everyone who posted at least took the small amount of time needed to list the 3 cars they feel have looked better as time went on. That is the point of the thread, after all...

I'm 360 Canuck and paulchua like this.
  7. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Yeah, I know. I'm not saying any of the cars I listed look bad. I'm just saying I think some looked better new, and some look better now.

Perhaps as a Mondial guy I've grown immune to people saying they don't like the looks of my car, but really none of this is meant in a negative way. Just trying to see what different people think about this idea of how designs age, and why.

paulchua likes this.
  8. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I miss pop-up lights.

9. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I'll play...

My top Ferrari's that have aged the best over the years -
    1) F40- just as fresh now as then.
    2) I'll cheat a little here and say just about any 250/275 series car- this way I get a whole lot of cars in this box.
    3) 355- I think it was always pretty and still is.

Which 3 designs have remained timelessly beautiful throughout the years?
    1) 250 California SWB
    2) 250 GT Lusso
    3) 335S

Which 3 designs have aged the worst?
    1) 360 Modena/ Spider
    2) 456 - I loved it when it came out but now, I think its awkward looking- hey, its just me!
    3- 400- just not my thing.

Extra category which 3 designs have surprised me by looking better?
    1) Enzo- I really hated it when it came out, but now I think it looks fantastic!
    2) Testarossa- I loved it when it came out, then thought it looked dated, but now I love it again!
    3) F50- I just didn't get it when it debuted, but I do now!

10. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Fortunately most of the designs were so good that a Ferrari “aging poorly” only means a few people will simply love them less. The most mundane Ferrari driving down a street looks like the most special car ever created. A unicorn in a sea of utilitarian, design by committee, condescending disasters of creation scraping themselves down the road way like slugs. A Mondial shows itself to be no less a Ferrari than a 250 GTO.

randkin, superscoop, kerrari and 6 others like this.
  11. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks!

Regarding the 360. I had the opposite response. I wasn't too impressed for a long time, but recently the car has really grown on me.

I have almost gone for a couple of 456's, but something about that 90's era thing applies to that car too, and I can never quite do it. But I do still love the car. Go figure.

SFWK, Caeruleus11 and anunakki like this.
  12. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Totally agree.

paulchua and crinoid like this.
  13. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    there are so many ...
    246 DINO GT/gts one of the most beautiful designs
    550/575
    365/512boxers.. (did not really care for these before but lately they have been very appealing to me)

14. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    This is a great thread.

I agree the 365/400/412 have aged well. I'm going to have to think about this more! so many models!

davemqv likes this.
  15. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I believe the 288 GTO is the most timeless exotic design ever. It has enough drama to be cool, pretty and aggressive, but not so much it looks like a toy.

16. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I agree on the 360.

SFWK, chipbiii, velocegiallo and 4 others like this.
  17. PFSEX

PFSEX Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2006
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    John Ratto
    Best front engine berlinetta - 275 GTB shortnose. Not even close - perhaps the best design ever - any car, any brand

Best 2+2 (lets give them some love): 250 GTE - timeless design

Best mid engine: 3 that look so much alike Dino 246 GTS and 360 Modena and 288 GTO

SFWK, m5shiv, 635CSI and 2 others like this.
  18. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I would choose the F40 as the one that has aged the best. It was amazing when it came out and it's amazing to this day. I would place the Enzo and 288 GTO as a close second.

In terms of what has aged worse.....Hmmmmm......I would probably pick the Mondial. It can look good in certain configurations and not so good in others.

Caeruleus11 and davemqv like this.
  19. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    Agreed..... Its is amazing to me how this design has really held up or maybe improved with age ...it has just the right touch of muscle look without overdoing things as so many designs tend to do..

20. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I agree with pretty much everything here except the 360 and Testarossa. The 360 imo has aged great (better than the 355, but both look great). The Stradale is nearly perfect.

I loved the Testarossa through the end of the 90s, but the cheese graters on the side have not aged well. At least the 512TR looks fresher with the front bumper, clear lights, and wheels (512M bumper and lights look off and too aftermarket imo).

I still love the F50 and did from day 1, but I think the other supercars have aged better since. Just a few years ago I would have put the F50 at the top of the best looking Ferrari street supercars (not counting the F50 GT), but now I think it's the least best looking of the 5 super cars. Still looks nice though.

Caphill and Caeruleus11 like this.
  21. blown94conv

blown94conv Karting

Feb 3, 2007
    Berlin, CT
    Full Name:
    David
    I love the 360, the curves get better looking the more I look at it. (Obviously biased opinion)

But the 348 hasn’t aged well at all. Suprised no one touched on that one yet.

As for timeless, the 365, Testarossa and 550/575 are the ones I have always loved.

22. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I agree on the 348, but I never liked it to be honest...so technically for me, doesn't look worse than it used to look. Just the same.

23. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    It's like music and paintings, no right or wrong, just what you yourself enjoy. I think the 348 looks great then and now, but 100% still respect your honest opinion about it. Your sincere thoughts are much better then any platitudes!

Some people hate my taste in certain wines, bands, and foods. Totally cool and even should be celebrated in subjective matters such as private art.

Caeruleus11 and davemqv like this.
  24. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    My wording on this question may be throwing people a bit.

By cars that are "aging well" I mean which Ferrari designs have improved with age?

jjmalez and paulchua like this.
  25. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    275GTB (short nose)

This is the quintessential Ferrari/Pininfarina design as far as I'm concerned. Somehow it looks as macho as it does voluptuous, as aggressive as it does organic. It looks like it was made by nature. It approaches perfection.

Given the styling of modern Ferraris, it will likely be the most beautiful of all time.

davemqv likes this.