Buying a GranTurismo --- What to look out for ? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Buying a GranTurismo --- What to look out for ?

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by finnerty, May 14, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    A member on Maserati Life had a bad CPO experience. I didn't read the drama. If it was me, I'd find a one owner, sub 10K mile car. They are out there. Mine had 7160 miles, one owner with a MSRP near $140K and I paid $54K.

Also, when you need our services, and you will :), it's not inexpensive. I'll be doing my entire car this winter. I already did the dome light and coat hangers as I replaced the headliner.

2. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    wow, $54k with 7k miles. Very nice deal. I'm not seeing vert's for near that (unless I can get $20k off of asking price). There are only 5 on Cars.com with sub-10k miles and the average asking price is $75k (and only 1 of those is a sport model).

I am looking only at 1-owner cars, no accident cars, but with 14-25k miles is what I've mostly found (in my colors anyways and with asking prices below $70k).

The CPO only costs $1450/year (its $2900 for two years). That's amazingly cheap "insurance" vs. Ferrari extended warranties or really any car. My service guy said "heck yeah get it for that price". He didn't hesitate (despite saying the cars are pretty reliable). So, I think the CPO is a "nice to have" and worth the $2900. If I can get the historical service records on the Sport car I'm looking at I'll try to get that car even though it can't be CPO.

Re your services, I know, I know, I covered my thoughts on that in my rant on the past page:)

3. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Convertibles I believe are more. If I wanted a convertible, the GT would not be the car (the back seats look too big with top down for me). Try Cargurus.

4. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Thanks, yeah I checked cargurus, pretty much the same cars. Lots of Florida cars out there...some with very wrinkled "date code" stickers in the door jams :eek:

And lots of cars at "little odd dealerships". Oddly (with only 1 exception thus far) I've found a couple of authorized dealer cars at prices as good or better than the little guys out there.

5. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Update on my search:

Deposit made and paperwork pending a couple of small due bill items (alignment and touch up a couple of small paint chips). Should have it wrapped up mid next week. Won't get delivered cross country for a month or so due to busy shippers. Its going straight to a detail shop in Scottsdale for paint correction as needed, installation of a full front clear film and application of a 10h ceramic coating (whatever that is). Will be waiting for me in Scottsdale when I get down there in late October :)

I'll post pics when the deal is completely done.

6. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Keep Looking

7. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    I found exactly what I was looking for...paid more than I wanted to, but getting the exact car I wanted with a great history made the extra cash worth it. Will post details soon.

8. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Good for you! Let the pictures roll

9. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Cross-posting this from a Silver thread where I solicited ideas for a car to meet my criteria (see below).

Thank you to everyone for your recommendations and ideas. I thought since I started this thread, I'd let you know how it ended up…

I purchased a 2014 Maserati Granturismo Sport Convertible:
    · 17k miles
    · One-owner
    · Sold new and serviced by the book by Miller Motorcars (with all records)
    · It’s in my first-choice colors of Blue Oceano exterior and Cuio interior
    · Not the cheapest example on the market, but hopefully a solid car
    · The Maser was on my earliest “to buy list” if I could get comfortable with the reliability and repair costs (which I have, hopefully correctly)

Here is how I ranked it on my criteria:
    · Spider/convertible – Check
    · Max price of $80k – Check
    · Sporty and fun, weekend car – Check
    · Comfortable taking most places – Check
    · Fits a 6’3” 240-lb guy – Check
    · Fairly rare – Check
    · Fairly reliable – Check (From my research they seem to have a reputation as fairly problem free)
    · Reasonable maintenance and repair costs – Check minus ($1000 annual, $2500 2-year service, $4500 brake job, but I was okay with anything less than Ferrari costs for F1 and exhaust failure level repair costs)
    · Strong value retention / low depreciation – Fail (likely to fall by 50% over the 3-4 years I own it)
    · Bonus points for warranty – Not available

So, this car hits most of these criteria well, with the exceptions of depreciation and potential for Italian level reliability and high maintenance and repair costs. I decided not to sweat the depreciation hit and just get what I wanted. With regard to the reliability, interestingly I passed on a somewhat similar condition car that came with the CPO. That decision was made based on everything I could find out about reliability and repair costs on these cars (and, while the CPO car was the same price, it was not a Sport model, had 8000 miles more, was not in my favorite colors, and had no historical service records). So…we shall see, hopefully I made the right decision on that…

Anyways…life’s short, so I figured drive what you want while you can :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

redcaruser likes this.
  10. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Beautiful car - enjoy! Some people just lucky in life - glad u r one

11. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Huge congrats. :)

Don't worry these cars are super reliable. You are not going to spend $1000 annually. Biggest recurring maintenance will be tires. I had my 2008 up to 51K miles on original brakes. And, $4500 for a brake job - it's not going to cost anything near that.

12. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Thanks guys! The two-month wait to see it and drive it are going to be painful ;)

13. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E

14. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Yeah, I’m in Wyoming until around November 1 when we go to scottsdale for the winter. So the car will be shipped to scottsdale in late sept and then get a clear film and ceramic coating applied while it’s waiting for me.

15. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I’m looking at GranTurismos and notice some have chrome window trim and some have black window trim.
    Anyone know if this was an option or based on color and year or ????

16. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
  17. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    Well, after looking hard at about 8 different GTs of various model years, I agree with Dave (and others). The later years ( 2013 + ) "Sport" model really is the best of the bunch by a considerable margin --- nicer interior and controls, more attractive front end exterior, stronger engine, and has all the "bugs" sorted out.

That said, I would add...... Do not overlook the earlier cars all together. If you can find one that has been well cared for and meets your taste in terms of spec, they are a helluva bargain (bang-for-the-buck) --- and likely have reached close to the bottom of their depreciation curves, so more appealing from $ loss point of view.

I could not get the "deal" (both were at independent Dealerships) I wanted on either a 2014 or a 2015 I looked at, so in the end I found a really nice ----- one meticulous previous owner, beautiful spec, lower mileage ---- 2008 model. And, it had already had the factory variator repair done less than 5K miles ago.

Yeah, it's under-powered (compared to the 4.7 Sport), and some of the buttons, while not yet "sticky", are getting somewhat "tacky" --- but it does not bother me much.

Before delivery, I had 2 new tires put on, all 4 wheels refinished and powder-coated, and the headliner (including all pillars and sail panels) replaced. And, I gotta say --- and everyone who has seen it agrees ---- the car looks and drives like it's only a year or two old with just a few thousand miles on it !

18. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    Speaking of which (my ---- "new" to me ---- 2008 GT), can someone please help me identify something in the engine compartment ?

On the driver's side, near the front of the block is a vertical pipe with what appears to be a screw on cap fitting on top of it --- circled in red in the first photo. The 2 other photos show it close up.

My first thought was that it is the dip-stick tube for checking the ATF level --- but, apparently Maserati does not want you to do this yourself, so they capped it off ? I can't see where it goes down to ----- could it also be an exhaust test port or fuel injection system tap ? The owner's manual makes no mention of it.

I also wonder if I am missing a piece (handle, etc.) that belongs attached to the fitting as it appears to have internal threads in the top of it as well ? Possibly even a stem valve (of some sort) in the bottom of the internal bore ? It's difficult to see clearly with the wire cable running right across the top of it.

Anyone know what it is / what it is for ? And, am I missing a piece of it ?

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. tatry68

tatry68 Karting

Oct 27, 2013
    Chicago Suburbs
    Full Name:
    Stan
    That is a fitting for the A/C. Its where you would hook up gauges if u want to check the pressures or do a recharge. All that's missing is a plastic cap. No biggie.

20. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    Thanks Stan !

Duh, I should have known that ! About an hour or so after I posted, I realized that with the internal threads and what looks to be a schrader valve inside..... that yes it most likely is one of the either high or low side connection ports for the A/C system.

Pretty common on every other used car (of any make) you look at to find one or both of the caps missing. It seems that A/C techs have a nasty habit of not bothering to put them back on after testing / charging :(

I've replaced dozens over the years on my various cars !

I agree it's no big deal to be missing, but I like to have the caps on just to maintain the port / threads cleanliness.

21. tatry68

tatry68 Karting

Oct 27, 2013
    Chicago Suburbs
    Full Name:
    Stan
    Agreed, the threads can get really nasty looking pretty fast. Get enough dirt in there, and you can have the valve leak after you remove the gauges.

22. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    Incidentally, does anyone know where I can replacement caps (for the A/C ports) ?

I looked at the usual suspects OE parts suppliers and even called my local Maser Dealership --- no one has them.

I think my best bet is just to go to a supplier of parts for system by manufacturer / supplier directly ---- does anyone know what brand the A/C system is ?

Or even at least whether it is German, US, or Asian, etc. to narrow it down ?

Thanks

23. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    A couple of things:

1) The "Sport" model comes with blacked out chrome exterior trim. The base has the regular chrome. Described as follows in the 2014 brochure:
    - Standard on Base: Chromeline exterior trim (headlight, door handles, chromeline, front grille and side vents)
    - Standard on Sport: Black look exterior trim (headlights, shadowline, front grille and side vents)

2) However, one could order the chrome as an option on the Sport (Mine has that option, no idea why it was ordered with it, but it looks okay to me).

3) It was also possible to order the "Black look" trim on a base model as an option.

So...there you go, anyway you like it really...(at least in 2014)

24. HOF Ferrari

HOF Ferrari Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Canton, Ohio
    Full Name:
    AFG
    Merak1974 and arizonaitalian like this.
  25. MaseratiMike

MaseratiMike Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Its worth trying Eurospares in the UK, I just managed to get a replacement power steering fluid pipe from Italy for my 2010 Maserati GranCabrio via Eurospares when the factory was showing NLA... Also stocked up on a few other items just in case for the future. Cheers