According to this test 458 is better than 488 and I agree with them | Page 3 | FerrariChat

According to this test 458 is better than 488 and I agree with them

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Tsachi458, Aug 14, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JohnTz

JohnTz Karting

Jun 21, 2018
    Inverness, IL
    Full Name:
    John Tz
    I cant believe these two "gentlemen" with this amateur video have this community actually arguing against each other. All Ferrari are fantastic, done.

2. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Yep, perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Clay512TR, Shadowfax and shawdut like this.
  3. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I watched about 80% of the video - will circle back later. I have to agree with everything they said although I've only driven a 458 so I have no baseline in the 488

4. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #54 Shadowfax, Aug 17, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    Making a car that drives better is not foolish - it's actually key to the success of a vehicle. This is primarily what manufacturers base their improvements upon - how much better their car drives over the previous model. It's the same with Journos who review the cars, who's main assessment is based upon how well the car drives in comparison to the others. A car can look and sound great but if it drives like a POS then it will be seen as a POS and rated as a POS. Take R35 as an example when it came out. It looked ugly as hell to most - very controversial in design - however it drove incredibly well and outperformed the competition - so it became beautiful in the eyes of the beholders and many others.

Ego: those with such are hardly going to be buying a car that rates poorly against its competitors particularly in the area of drive.

Sound and looks are both subjective elements and pale into insignificance for the greater majority if the car drives doesn't drive better than the one which it replaces.

Of course there will always be a minority that own outgoing models who feel compelled to argue the toss - understandable.

Viperjoe likes this.
  5. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Actually the guys cant be blamed because if it wasn't their vid there would be arguing over something else....usually how the new car is no good and the old car is better. I guess Ferrari and all the others should have stopped at the first cars they ever made, then there would be nothing to argue about except for which color is better.

Viperjoe likes this.
  6. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    On a 458, you're getting around 83% of the performance for 60% of the price.. it's a great value proposition if Ferrari is your calling, but some just need to have the latest/greatest and 488 it is.

No wrong answer.

Melvok likes this.
  7. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I definitely think that they need to drive the 488 again with CT off and then they will experience the full power rather than the traction intervening...

For me it was an absolute revelation!

Sent from my SM-G960U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Caeruleus11 and Shadowfax like this.
  8. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Everyone has their own hierarchy of priorities and predilections in choosing the car to purchase. Some value driving dynamics above all else, others will be propelled by aesthetics or status elevation or place a heavy emphasis on value retention. Some will ascribe equal weight to all categories in making their ultimate choice. In the end, hopefully the car enhances one's enjoyment of life.

sampelligrino, Clay512TR and Viperjoe like this.
  9. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Hi Shamile …. good to see you here (again) :)

Are you in for a 458 next to your Lambo ?

10. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    In the same way that everything is far better in the 488 (except maybe the sound - but whatever V8 is no match for a V12 in this regard, so I don't care)
    ;)

11. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    Believe whatever you want. I own both (458 Spider and a 488 GTB). I think everything in the 488 is better except the sound. Disclaimer I do have the capristo by-pass valves remote and a performance muffler in the 458 and only the stock exhaust on the 488.

The 488 is significantly faster, a/c is better (which matters in FL). I choose to drive the 488 more than the 458. The main reason for choosing the 458 is for the sound only. I drive my Fcars a lot (I put 18K miles on my 458 since 2014) and I don't baby them.

Shadowfax likes this.
  12. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    horsepower number are getting so ridiculous that over time people will go from FOMO to which car is more pleasing to their eye - for me its 458 over 488. its FF over lusso even though i think theyre both hideous. its certainly 360 over 430.
    if you are really in doubt and care that much ive found easiest answer it buy both and if you cant afford to do that flip a coin

13. Zinger

Zinger Formula 3

Apr 11, 2009
    Leesburg, Va
    Full Name:
    Ryan M
    I owned a 458 and loved the car. I now have a 488GTB and prefer it to the 458 in just about every category. Regarding sound I installed a Novitec valveless exhaust and the sound is proper!

Viperjoe, nero corsa and Shadowfax like this.
  14. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Not sure where the actual limit is (it may depend on personal appreciation) but to me the power advantage of the 488 really makes a difference; I'm not sure I would notice a difference between 900 and 1200 hp but I definitely appreciate the difference between 570 and 670 hp (it's higher in most rev btw, because of the higher torque of the 488).

Shadowfax likes this.
  15. JasonN

JasonN Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Jason
    No that is a response I can support!

shawdut and Viperjoe like this.
  16. stretchgeneral

stretchgeneral Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 9, 2014
    MA/TX
    Full Name:
    McK
    It seemed to me that both of them were in the 458 camp from the get go. I did enjoy seeing a side by side comparison even if slanted. I have been hoping that R&T or someone will do a real side by side test on a track under real conditions, comparing lap times, not just acceleration and top speed, professionally driven to put the objective performance to bed. The 488 will dominate, but it would still be fun to read and compare in that context.

Viperjoe likes this.
  17. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #67 up4speed, Aug 22, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
    "While neither car is a bad choice, I wound up choosing the 458 after test driving both. To be perfectly honest, one of the biggest factors was the Approx. $100K savings! lol

I do happen to like the looks of the 488 better. And of course most other things are better with the 488, except maybe the sound (and the second factor in the next paragraph). However, I feel like most people over react to that since I think that the 488 also sounds awesome. I'm also going to go out on a limb here and say that it actually may sound BETTER sometimes, specifically at low rpm's. To me, it sounds meaner and throatier if you are just cruising around town with light throttle, but once you break 7,000 rpm's, there's no comparison, the 458 wins!

The second biggest factor that made me go with 458, that not one single person mentioned, is the way the 488 delivers the power/speed. The car is so fast that I feel like it hits red line (also 1,000rpm lower) so fast, and the engine seems to break up even a little bit before red line, which made me feel like I was short shifting it all the time. There was no time for the revs to build towards a "climax". It runs out of RPM's before I start to get excited, then it's too fast to continue, so I usually have to slow down. It's hard to explain, but the way I am using the car for street driving, the 458 is plenty fast, and I get more enjoyment out of hearing the engine build revs and power, rather than all out speed.

As I said prior, no bad choice, both phenomenal cars. But for those aforementioned reasons, I decided on the 458....for now.
    Also, to be fair, I don't have a significant amount of time behind the wheel of a 488 to draw a fair conclusion, nor to appreciate subtle differences. I just pointed out the things that jumped out at me during a 10 minute test drive. If I have more seat time in a 488, my opinions may sway towards one car or the other.

Condor Man, Clay512TR, RobD and 3 others like this.
  18. TheDiffuser

TheDiffuser Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    The Diffuser
    What about sheer fun factor, drivability, feel, enjoyment etc . Those tests will always be more subjective than a track test with lap times, speeds, drag times etc.

For instance I compared my Porsche 993 to my 997. The 997 was faster, 'better' all around eg brakes handling and all that.
    But my 993 won hands down. It was more fun and felt better.
    To me, that's the test I want to use to compare cars. Because that's how ill use them and bond with them.
    To me, those subjective and intangible aspects of a car, are what makes me want to drive them.
    And THAT makes me happy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clay512TR likes this.
  19. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    The 488 is a tad better than the 458 I will agree.

The Speciale crushes them both ;)

italiafan and Clay512TR like this.
  20. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I would have clicked "like" but this is the only part of the post I "like" :)

Caphill likes this.
  21. stretchgeneral

stretchgeneral Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 9, 2014
    MA/TX
    Full Name:
    McK
    What do you all think about their assertion that the 458's have bottomed out and will only appreciate higher from this point on?

22. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Unlikely they appreciate. I think they stay flat for a very long time. They made a **** ton of 458s.

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

Shamile likes this.
  23. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I agree to a degree but these are very special cars and an end of an era. I don't expect valve to rise aggressively but I would bet low mile, pristine examples start to command a premium very soon.

v35 and TheDiffuser like this.
  24. stretchgeneral

stretchgeneral Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 9, 2014
    MA/TX
    Full Name:
    McK
    I would like to hope they appreciate. They do seem to be the most wrecked recent model, so the numbers are decreasing daily.

25. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    With over 15000* made...highly unlikely.

* trunk latch recall notification data

Shamile

Freeze...Miami Vice!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk