naked Mondial | Page 5 | FerrariChat

naked Mondial

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Bryanp, Jan 2, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Admiral,
    An exciting time and full of emotion I’m sure. My wife and I miss seeing you and your wife (and even Bryan) around Virginia and Maryland shows. I was just looking over some of the many photos I have of the little blue car. From St. Michaels to Silver Spring. Beautiful thing - the car and your story!
    Ray

2. Admiral Goodwrench

Admiral Goodwrench Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    Dear Ray,

Thanks, we miss the MAR gang as well. Just received the annual directory and had fun checking out the pics.

By the way, the NbyNW threw me until I read the fine print.

Best regards,

Robert

3. Richard Garre

Richard Garre Rookie

Sep 8, 2017
    Full Name:
    Richard Radcliffe Garre
    Dear Admiral,
    When you were interviewed on the Gooding video, there was picture right in the middle of your car at my Annual Vintage Ferrari show put on each May. What an honor to you and your car there that day. There is also a picture of you and Dick Merritt together in the car. We in the MAR do miss you and your family but I know you're enjoying New Mexico. Good luck with the auction, I hope the next owner enjoys the car for as long as you did.
    Best wishes
    Richard

NürScud and Texas Forever like this.
  4. Admiral Goodwrench

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    Dear Richard,
    I always smile when I recall the story of how that picture got to my garage. Bryan was visiting and noticed it on your shop office wall. He commented that there were shots in the collage which he had not seen, whereupon Patty took it off the wall and said he needed to have it, and said you could always make another one. So now you have seen it in its place of honor. Always enjoyed your and Tom's vintage Ferrari gatherings as it draws true car guys.

Best regards,

Robert

Texas Forever likes this.
  5. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    What I love about the old school collectors like yourself is the true love for the cars they own. Your many stories from the sump oil damage after years of storage to the details of the design and rebuilding of the heads is something you don't see as much anymore. You really know every inch of this fine automobile. Your a walking encyclopedia on Mondial's!! I hope the next lucky owner is as appreciative as you are.

I saw her 3 times if I remember correctly, the first time up at Road America in 2009.

Texas Forever likes this.
  6. Admiral Goodwrench

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    Dear Tom,

Have enjoyed your photos of tlbc.

Best regards,

Robert

7. Bisonte

Bisonte F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2007
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    NürScud likes this.
  8. Admiral Goodwrench

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    Hi Greg,

Nice photos but brings back a scary memory. That Spring Thaw was at Reston. HelenAnn and I had gone inside to eat while Bryan watched over the car. While talking to someone, he turned around and saw a youngster teething on the red vinyl door surround .When he yelled at the kid to stop, the child's mother took umbrage!!! So much for car shows in public places.

Best regards,

Robert

9. mcimino

mcimino Formula 3

Oct 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    A lesson in why lions eat their young! ;)

10. Bisonte

Bisonte F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2007
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Thank you, and yikes! That is scary!

Good luck at the auction. I’m sure that will be something else.

LARRYH and Admiral Goodwrench like this.
  11. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

NürScud, Caphill, steved033 and 4 others like this.
  12. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Whoever the new owner is, they made a heck of a buy. Still can’t really wrap my head around this wonderful chapter in the car’s history coming to an end.

LARRYH and Dave rocks like this.
  13. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Congratulations, although I’m sure it was a day of mixed emotions. Hopefully it has gone to a good home.

14. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I was at the auction and when the admiral drove the car on stage he got a well deserved standing ovation ... congratulations admiral it was well deserved ...do we know who bought the car....?.

Bryanp, Nembo1777 and Dave rocks like this.
  15. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Anyone have video? What was the hammer?

16. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    It was 4475000 hammer price .. just under 4.5...... while i do not know who bought it
    I did notice a well known celebrity and car collector was there and left after that lot???
    The auctioneer worked pretty hard to get the admiral a good price....

Dave rocks likes this.
  17. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Leno? Wasn't he interesed?

18. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Hi everyone! Yes, yesterday was definitely a day of mixed emotions. An old Navy friend of Dad’s reminded him of an old Navy tradition whereby the outgoing skipper would carve/sign his name and date of command somewhere on his ship before handing it to the new skipper. So we got a Sharpie and I wrote on the underside of the spare tire cover: “Pilota: R. A. Phillips, 1960-2018”.

The car hammered at $4,550,000, I believe. The standing ovation from the crowd was also extremely gratifying. Yes, J Leno sat down right behind us (we were in the front row right in front of Charly Ross). Dad and Jay bonded during the filming of the Leno’s Garage episode in June, and Jay just wanted to stop by to say hi and offer support.

The car is going to the upper Midwest. I won’t identify the new Owner, but will say that when we met him after the hammer, he hugged Dad and was moved to tears. So I think the right guy got the car. He gets it and will be driving the old girl.

End of an era for sure.

TWK, kerrari, Bisonte and 11 others like this.
  19. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Exciting moment. Congratulations. It was extremely moving. Sounds like the new owner will be a great steward.

LARRYH and NbyNW like this.
  20. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    $4.55m and after 10% buyer's premium it was $5,005,000.

21. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Congrats! Such a great car and even more, a great piece of history within your family.

LARRYH likes this.
  22. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    So thrilled for both the car and your father that it has gone to a driver! Seems like congratulations to all is in order.

SonomaRik and Texas Forever like this.
  23. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
  24. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

Agreed. Pretty hard to say what a proper estimate would be. Does anyone think anything would have changed that? Certainly the car had great provenance and ownership.