Australian National Rally 2018 in Adelaide | FerrariChat

Australian National Rally 2018 in Adelaide

Discussion in 'Australia' started by gav360, Aug 27, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gav360

gav360 Rookie

Aug 27, 2018
    Sydney, NSW, Australia
    Full Name:
    Gav 360
    I am a new member and a new owner of a 360. I can't find any threads relating to the Oct Ferrari Club Rally.

I'm trying to make a decision on whether to book for this event. Looks like a lot of fun, however I live in Sydney and it's a long drive to get there and back. I reckon by the time I choose the scenic routes (after all why not make the most of it) and also incorporate the rally I'll be adding about 5,000 KM onto the clock. Yes I bought the car to be driven, but in two months I've already driven more than the annual average of a 15 year old car, so I am conscious of the effect of resale value. I am wondering about transporting it and I figure the cost of transport will be about the same as the cost of depreciation for 5km. Looks like the price is around $2k each way and then I would need to add air fares. Anyone got any thoughts about the decision process? If I get it transported I still need to figure out who is best at a reasonable price.

Secondly, if I do decide to drive I am wondering if people arrange to meet up en-route? Would be more fun that way.

2. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    That's a no-brainer, Gavin. Drive the bloody thing - I promise on your death bed you won't be wishing you drove your Ferrari less. There'll be a contingent from Sydney driving down, for sure. Someone here will chime in, and after you wade through the acerbic comments, puns, parodies, ridicule, harassment, and outright scorn, I'm sure you'll manage to sort something out. :D

3. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Drive the ****ing thing for Christ's sake !!

I'm flying up to the Gold Coast, picking my 355 up from my house, putting the race seat in, driving to Sydney, picking up a mate and driving to Adelaide, beating that useless idiot Steve355F1shields-suck-as-well-as-red-carpets and then driving home to the Gold Coast !!!!

**** me, some of you ****s should just hand your car to someone who will ****ing drive the bloody thing

Do you hand your wife over to your best mate to shag ????!!!

greg246 likes this.
  4. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    BTW if you're going to the charity ball in a fortnight I'll be the one in the ill-fitting black tie outfit :p

5. FazzerPorscheman

FazzerPorscheman F1 World Champ

Jul 28, 2010
    Piz Gloria
    Full Name:
    EnzoFerdinand
    Fixed and yep. ;)

Ferraridoc likes this.
  6. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    +365 & 308!

7. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    + 365 & 308.....

Fu*k me there are Soooooooooo many folk on here and in the club who totally forgotten what our cars are designed to do.!

.....you lucky bas*ard!!!

knocker likes this.
  8. knocker

knocker F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 10, 2017
    Sydney Aus
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    Mate I’ve done 9000klm in the first year of 360 ownership (102000 klm) and its never run better ,they love to be used and revved good luck and have fun

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. Maranello550

Maranello550 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2011
    HongKong
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Think I found it Pat....Sent you a PM....

10. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Is that an FCA event? Can someone PM a link to club events in Syd in Sept as I will be in town for a couple of weeks...without my car unfortunately, have to squeeze the trip in between work days.

11. gav360

gav360 Rookie

Aug 27, 2018
    Sydney, NSW, Australia
    Full Name:
    Gav 360
    Haha, indeed, I can see I will no doubt have to wade through a bunch of that. I did preface my first post with "yes I bought the car to be driven" and that's certainly what I intend to do, however I have noticed talking to others in the club many people are NOT prepared to drive that far due to the k's put on the vehicle and based on the km's I saw on most of these cars before I purchased I can see the typical usage per annum is less than what I did in the first week of ownership.

I am very interested in joining a contingent from Sydney if there are enough people driving. Hopefully a few people will put their hands up.

12. gav360

gav360 Rookie

Aug 27, 2018
    Sydney, NSW, Australia
    Full Name:
    Gav 360
    Great to hear! I know they love to be used and opened up. I love to use it too. Just conscious of resale implications. It is my first Ferrari.

13. ihavearedferrari

ihavearedferrari F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Any pictures of it?

14. Maranello550

Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2011
    HongKong
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I wouldn't worry about putting miles on your F car Gavin......I've done my arse more on new Cars over the years than you would ever do on a high mileage second hand Ferrari if you bought well......Anything in life that is worth enjoying costs money....I think the cheapest high mileage 360s got down to 90 K and they have increased to around the 110 K mark...As Doc rightly said you buy them to drive and enjoy.......Not like me, I'm one of the few blokes that work around here so I only did 7 Kms in the 360 last year......:)

15. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Work !!!!????

I'm surprised you can spell the word :p

Maranello550 likes this.
  16. Maranello550

Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2011
    HongKong
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Flat out like a Lizard drinking......:)

17. gav360

gav360 Rookie

Aug 27, 2018
    Sydney, NSW, Australia
    Full Name:
    Gav 360
    I do understand much more can be lost on new cars (I've been there) and yes it's a car to enjoy as much as possible, that's why I bought it. However I couldn't help wondering when I looked at the advertised prices for a 2003 model F1 it went something like this:
    30,000km on the clock 160k
    40km 150k
    50k 140k
    So in my simple mind all things being equal with the cars I figured the maths was....pay 20k (depreciation) to drive 20,000km. It's not that I am worried, I am just trying to make an informed and educated decision on the cost of using my new toy. If I sell in one year that might well be the price I am happy to pay to thoroughly enjoy 20,000 km of driving (on top of maintenance, wear and tear etc). I imagine the depreciation calculation is not linear however. Noticing so many of these types of cars for sale have so few kms and I could only assume it's because all those past owners were terrified about resale value and made concessions in their usage patterns. Am I missing something? I would ideally like to understand in advance what it's costing me, not get a shock. And that was the back of the hand, finger in the air estimate. Perhaps the view of many is simply don't worry about what it costs and just don't think about it. Well, everyone has different financial situations. I have more than one car, so this is a weekender and not a car I would drive around the city everyday for work for instance. However I did 3000km in first week, have continued to use and will probably do 6-7000km during next two months (incorporating the drive spanning three states to get to the rally itself). So 4 mths has cost me 10k deprecation so far...I think.

18. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    I'm taking drinking up again , you meet a better class of people :)

Maranello550 likes this.
  19. Horse

Horse Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Derrr.

20. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    There is the exception to the rule Mr Horse :p

21. knocker

knocker F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 10, 2017
    Sydney Aus
    Full Name:
    Adrian
  22. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Excellent post.

Until the last hilarious sentence. :p

Maranello550 likes this.
  23. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    I did have a go at him about it :p

So coming to the FNR ya poof ?

My handbrakes not coming now, coming with my lad who implicitly trusts my driving :)

Maranello550 likes this.
  24. Maranello550

Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2011
    HongKong
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I don't suppose you know a good Tappas Resturant in Madrid?.....Just asking as I've worked my arse off to get here......:)

Steve355F1 likes this.
  25. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I can’t, which is disappointing.
    There was half a chance I could get just one day off to do the track day, but as that’s not an option with the rally that won’t happen.

You’ll have to post your rubbish time and I’ll beat it when I do a track day later on. :p