Alfa Romeo 4c who has one? | Page 22 | FerrariChat

Alfa Romeo 4c who has one?

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by ferrari#7, Jul 25, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kevinl

kevinl Rookie

Sep 23, 2011
    I have a coupe and my brother has a spider, they drive the same except the spider is louder inside, even with the roof on. Also, it is easier to look out the back of the spider when backing up. You would expect those differences.
    I would buy the coupe again.

Michael Call likes this.
  2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I've never been a fan of targa's. People use them a few times and then give up because its too much of a hassle.

I had a 308 GTS and I had the top off maybe 5 times.

3. kevinl

kevinl Rookie

Sep 23, 2011
    I had the 328gts and the roof stored easy, and the a/c worked poorly, so I did take the roof off a lot. I enjoyed my 348tb much better. The targas are not a true convertible, just a compromise.

qvee likes this.
  4. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    I drove both and bought a coupe.

The spider is more fun with the wind in the hair experience. But, and for me this was the decider, it is louder than the coupe, even with the top on. I also prefer the looks of the coupe, but that's a personal thing.

5. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    This is a fact of all convertibles.

How often you use them is directly proportional to how much work it takes and how quickly it is accomplished. The more work, the less you use it.

6. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Some cars just look better as coupes, the 4C is one of them. I always have a soft spot for the 80's Porsche Targas, and I like the new one too, because the roof slides back without getting out of the car. The Miata RF I had was like that. Those cars in my mind are not real convertibles.

Texas Forever likes this.
  7. sasso1977

sasso1977 Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2013
    long island ny
    Full Name:
    cesar
    Ease of entry and exit gives spider a leg up. But for looks , yes the coupe takes it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    If you are my height it doesn't make a difference. Little people rule! :)

ralfabco, rdefabri, Carnut and 2 others like this.
  9. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    2018 USA Alfa Romeo 4C sales:-

January - 12
    February - 20
    March - 22
    April - 22
    May - 19
    June - 39
    July - 18
    Total: 152

10. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    A bit off topic, but will be interesting to see the direction of the brand and any halo cars like the 4c in our "post-Sergio" world. I am sure the 4c was never expected to make a profit and I'd guess if we see something like it again, the tub will have a different powertrain and wear a different badge.

11. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    2018 European Alfa Romeo 4C Sales:-

January - 32
    February - 23
    March - 45
    April - 21
    May - 39
    June - 47
    Total: 207

12. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Interesting Nigel, it's not just in the US that sales of our little car are anemic.

13. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    It does need an update just for marketing purposes. I hope they do minor changes on the body if they do update it to make it slightly different. Total number of cars built over 6000 since 2015. Not to bad a number considering it is limited production.

14. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    No I think they should just drop it. Let it become a classic. Screwing with the design will just make it more ugly. They have already rejected a QF version for whatever reason.

They need the full replacement. Right now I think they are just moving out inventory as they wind down. From what I understand, used prices are actually on an upswing.

15. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner

Actually used priced have gone down. A lot of cars listed from 43,000-50,000 dollars on Autotrader. You will have to hold on to it for a few years after production stops for collector prices to kick in.

16. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Used prices have significantly come down in the last month. The bottom was mid 40s and up but now plenty of choices in the low 40s.

17. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    #542 ralfabco, Aug 22, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
    1. I will try and test drive a coupe. I like the compact dimensions, CF Tub, price, looks, weight, low height, difficult ingress and egress, claustrophobic interior and manual steering.

Kicking around a group of eclectic used cars - 07/10 GT-3 6 Spd, Murcielago 6 Spd, 996 GT2, 550 Maranello, and the (new) Alfa 4C.

I do not like that all of these cars were about 25/30% (+) less, just a few years ago - aside from the Alfa. At the minimum, I will wait for the snow and ice before I make an offer.

18. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    I have had about all of those. I like the 4C the best! YMMV.

ralfabco likes this.
  19. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Very high praise in that company of cars!

20. AFKC

AFKC Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 27, 2011
    FYI - My Dad’s 4C is listed for sale on this site if anyone is interested in purchasing one.

21. CarAholic

CarAholic Formula Junior

May 10, 2016
    Letting mine go for a steel if anyone is interested. 16 yellow Spyder with 28k miles. Pretty much a fully optioned car sticker was 78 and some change. Asking less then 15 coupes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    From time to time there has been discussion of modifying a 4c and the corresponding vendor claims of significant HP improvements over stock. Over on 4c forums I found the attached Excel where an owner had catalogued 1/4 mile performance based on verified time slips. He also catalogued the modifications made to the cars. These are different cars on different strips so not a before and after comparison. I am told, and can imagine, there's quite a bit of experience needed to optimize launch times and trap speeds provide a better estimate of power available at the wheels as a result. Data is a few months old (Dec 2017).

Not clear to me any of the differences meaningful enough to warrant investment in a modded ECU.

Attached Files:

23. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    On another topic, the enclosed pic from BaT shows data from 4 transactions. Not a meaningful amount to be sure and BaT may not be the best venue, but notwithstanding this, I found the data interesting. No obvious prices have moved over the last year or so.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sorry, pic appears duplicated and resisting my attempts to delete the duplicate!

Attached Files:

24. Michael Call

Michael Call Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 6, 2008
    S.L.C. Utah
    Full Name:
    Michael D. Call
    For the purpose of "bench racing" the gains realized do show marginally on paper, but the real world driving improvement is significant. At least in my experience. Better throttle response, better shifting, more passing power, etc.

crinoid likes this.
  25. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    The data suggests there's a statistically significant improvement.

Using a "found on the web HP calculator" for 1/4 mile traps speeds suggests stock configurations average about 254 BHP at the crank. (I am not pretending this is accurate - it may be - but it is just a reference). Repeating the same calculation methodology for the modified cars indicates about 270 BHP across the sample of 14 runs/cars. The delta between the two estimates is 15 BHP.

I think most of us could feel a 5 - 6% difference in the torque delivery. I was surprized given the vendor claims the difference is not more signficant.

Sounds like you are happy with your upgrade Michael. Not sure which one you have. I do see Euro Compulsion has reduced the price of their upgraded / flashed ECU by 60% to $1000.