360 - 430 All models Hub and Bearing | FerrariChat

360 - 430 All models Hub and Bearing

Discussion in '360/430' started by spiderscott, Sep 5, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    My 360CS developed a bad bearing on the rear left. Ferrari seem to have cleverly sealed the wheel bearing within the him so the £10 bearing now costs £700 to replace ..... or so I thought !!

Realising the bearing was shot on my rear his I purchased a new one. Have gone through the motions of removing the old one. This has proved to be a slight nightmare as the central bolt holding the hub to driveshaft end has sheered of the thread so I am also having to replace a driveshaft now (on order)

However one thing that surprised me and was unexpected is while removing the hub it fell apart in two, not exactly sure why it did this but now wondering how hard it would be to do this again and replace just the bearing next time ?

Its possible mine was just so shot that it fell apart ?

2. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    The question is, has anyone been able to change just the £10 bearing on one of these hubs ?

BTW the part is the same on all 4 corners so price is expensive especially if you need to do more than one.

3. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Yep, they do that.
    Yep, they're expensive, and no one has yet found a match, the ABS speed sensor is critical, easily disturbed.

4. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    Cheers Brian

Yes I was aware of the speed sensor and how sensitive it is. The sensor is also different from 430 to 360, but I believe the hub is the same ?

When i have finished replacing the new hub and get some spare time, I will pull this old one apart, upload some pictures and see if its possible.

5. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    They can be split and put back together again, they are a press fit and hub nut keeps them retained.

... I recall race teams on the 360 and F430 challenge series used to regularly split the hubs, inspect flanges for bearing damage and replace the grease. Then reuse them. This prolonged the lifespan quite a bit. I remember it was Castrol wheel bearing grease and it was red. Worked really well. Normally you only get damage if dust and dirt work their way in...

Kevin Rev'n likes this.
  6. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    Trev you guru, I knew you would have the answer buddy :D

In which case I will attempt to rebuild this hub and keep it as a spare.