Ferrari pulled over for driving 137 mph | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Ferrari pulled over for driving 137 mph

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by rocketman, Aug 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Metastable

Metastable Formula Junior

#126 Metastable, Sep 1, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
    Now you listed some points that were particularly directed at what I said, but you are sounding more like a lawyer, because you are twisting them around in a manner that I did not say. To clarify I said: How are the speed limits determined were they done using an engineered study to find out what the SAFEST speed is or were they arbitrarily made up by town council? In many cases, speed limits were increased for safety. You want safety right?

I also mentioned what is safe? Is doing the speed limit on a narrow twisty road in New Zealand 62mph with no centre markings just as safe as doing the speed limit on any empty Montana interstate? Or is it the same as doing the speed limit in my neighbourhood? They are not the same level of safety. In my hood I drive way slower than the speed limit, because honestly it is not safe to go any faster. On any empty Montana interstate (which had no speed limits and when speed limits were introduced accidents increased).... I may at times go a bit faster than the speed limit, and yes that is safer than driving the speed limit in my neighbourhood. Doing 62mph on a twisty NZ goat trail can be almost impossible on some roads.... going the speed limit would be very dangerous.

And I mentioned the track...... all I said is that the track can also be dangerous, it is not a safe haven to speed.

Now how you deduced that what I said shows a blatant disregard for anyone’s safety is beyond me. All I am saying is that the speed limit does not always portray the same level of safety and that traveling at the speed limit can sometimes be MORE dangerous than speeding in other instances.

My kids - they will learn on a closed course first how to handle motorcycles and cars, before I ever let them drive on a public road. They need to at the very least figure out car control, before learning to deal with all the people out there’s that are not paying attention.

Posting a video of a guy doing 330 kph crashing? What? I have never gone that fast on the track... mind you I tape up the speedo, but my motorcycle does not go that fast. :D

Driving the Speed Limit DOES NOT = Safe that is all I am saying. I think you can agree with that.

Also, you sound like everyone in here drives like fast and the furious ..... which is a very extreme view.

daytona355 likes this.
  2. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    I agree with that. I saw an elderly gentleman crash into a center divider at the bank drive through, back up pull out and almost wreck half a dozen cars pulling into traffic all at less than 10mph.

Was that safer than being on the interstate at 3am with a spotter truck 2 miles ahead radioing back as I closed the gap at 190+mph?

Not sure but I doubt it :D

Hocakes and daytona355 like this.
  3. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    Actual interaction my husband had the other day. He was driving my car (Huracan) and pulled up to a light next to an unmarked police car. The cops rolled down the window and said "Get on it." He said "Are you serious?" The cop said "Yeah, I've got you covered." Road was clear, so he gave them a show and when he turned off they gave him two thumbs up.

And please, can we stop with the "kids might be listening." Other people's failure to parent is NEVER my responsibility and I am sick to death of people trying to shove that responsibility down the throats of every adult in the world. If the online behavior of strangers influences your child, then you have officially failed.

Texas Forever, MalcQV, thorn and 10 others like this.
  4. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak

Jana, I think I love you! Hehehe.

Jana likes this.
  5. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    There are a few!

My next door neighbor has a young girl named Sidney

For some reason, our glorious, masculine, manly name has become gender neutral!!!

Sid (the male, manly, texan -- version)

6. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    That’s what I alluded too man, girls called Sidney generally have a very deep voice and big hands hehehehehehehehe

Boomhauer likes this.
  7. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    Can you imagine being married to a female Sidney or Sydney?

Hello, I'm Sid, and this is my wife Sid. And, oh by the way, this is my dad Sid Jr, and my Grandfather Sid Sr. (This is really my dad and my grandfather's names. I'm a 3rd).

That would be confusing, but also amusing!

Sid

8. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Hehehe, the world becomes more confusing every day buddy, they start neutralising the gender of everything and pretty soon us dinosaurs will all be in prison for Sexism when some fella named Susan writes to us from the electricity company, and we write back ‘dear madam’!

Mind you, I had a thought, late 1990’s, Neve Campbell in Scream - hot in a ‘I reckon she could be bi’ kinda way - played the character of Sydney Prescott........ maybe I would enjoy the odd girl called Syd!

9. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    This song used to be a parody / funny / joke.

Not so sure anymore.

Sid

10. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak

Absolutely true! Great song

11. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    There was a time I was driving my Speciale and a friend, and fellow FCHatter, was driving his amazingly bright yellow banana-colored Italia (yes TikiTiki....)...as we were entering the highway a Sheriff Deputy car pulled on to the highway behind us and then sped up along side us giving us thumbs up. He pulled into the center lane and let us go by him and he briefly hit his blue lights....I'm not sure how I knew but the lights were his way of saying "go for it." So we sped up and he was following us doing a very significant speed. We then pulled off at our exit and he went by smiling again, thumbs up.
    Funny thing is we were telling the story later and imagining had we been pulled over trying to tell the Judge this sequence of events, and say something like, "Your Honor, we thought he was allowing us to speed up when he put on his blue lights." And just watching the Judge raise an eyebrow and say, "Boys, when was the last time you saw a blue light on a police car and though it meant to speeeeeed up?!"

We realized our story was pretty hilarious.

12. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    I just picked-up a €33.00 ticket in CH for 1 Lousy Km OVER when coming back from a competitive shooting gig in Thun.

What a 'Chicken****' ticket.

But I do like their gun laws and attitude toward them.

13. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    In college ('79-'83) a friend owned a 1967 Shelby GT350.

He got pulled-over literally all the time (IIRC, 3 times with me in the car) and was often speeding. And not by a 'little bit.' Even when not speeding he was still pulled-over. How many tickets did he get?

ZERO.

The Officers just wanted to get a close-up view of a living American Icon.

Texas Forever likes this.
  14. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    It always strikes me odd when people get angry on a Ferrari chat board about people speeding.

To me it's like joining a heavy metal forum and complaining the bands play too loud.

daveyator, F12KID, daytona355 and 2 others like this.
  15. Metastable

Metastable Formula Junior

I would fight that on principle........ just got off a lame parking ticket today. They had street cleaning one night in a city I was visiting and there were no signs about a random street cleaning happening that night.

daytona355 likes this.
  16. Marcus01

Marcus01 Rookie

Jun 13, 2018
    Full Name:
    Marcus
    It's just so easy.

I was on a clear dual carriageway yesterday (70mph semi motorway here in the UK)in my 458; the weather was lovely, my 90s dance music was playing...and I looked down and noticed I was doing 140 something.

I've only had the car a couple of months and never attempted to drive it so quickly. It just sorta happened...easily done!

Jakuzzi likes this.
  17. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I always try to be intellectually honest and I've given this thread some more serious thought.

All things being equal, yes, it's undeniable fact that the faster you go, in general, the more dangerous a hypothetical accident becomes. Looking at different statistics, I've found this generally holds true.

This being said, it's definitely a slippery slope, because if this is the only criteria considered, then freeways should be banned.

I think we all agree to cap speeds at 40mph in the interest of preventing injury would not be tenable.

So the real question is what is considered 'excessive' speed? As my previous post analogized, it's as hard a question as what level of music is 'too loud'? Everybody has their own level of comfort, and in the case of driving - there is a myriad of factors to consider.

We have lawmakers that set that 'safe' speed for us, and whatever methods they use go into that number, and as we can see that number varies all over the world depending on the context.

In regards the original post, I definitely think it's foolish to drive 140mph in the rain on what looks to be a pretty crowded expressway. I don't shed any tears for her. But in many other contexts, such as a sparse road/area with good weather and clear visibility, I am much more understanding.

daytona355 likes this.
  18. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I was going to suggest this post was excellent, but then I noticed, you are not a physician, so I’m afraid I can’t take it seriously anymore and ask you to think of all the worlds accident victims that might be offended the next time you put your foot down. ... he hehehehehehehe hehehehehehehe.

Jakuzzi likes this.
  19. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    hahaha,

In all seriousness though. I think the single one thing that would make roads much safer in America is basic left lane education and discipline.

One can dream.

20. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    We have an expression in Arabic when cussing someone out who doesn't know how to drive or who doesnt know all the rules: "It's not your fault; it's the fault of the individual who allowed you to have your driver's license (ie gave you a passing grade during your driving exam)"

daytona355, F12KID and paulchua like this.
  21. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Interesting saying! I agree, our driver's ed is pretty sad. You'll always have speeders, and I try not to judge since one time I had to take a small child to the hospital that was having seizures. What poor left lane understanding does though is force those folks to weave in and out of the freeway. It's amazing driving in Europe just how peaceful and pleasurable expressway driving is.

F12KID likes this.
  22. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    In OH it is illegal to drive in the left lane unless you are passing. Ask me how I know? :)

daytona355 and paulchua like this.
  23. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    hmm weird, I always thought Ohio was one of the few states that it was okay (legally that is)?

24. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Surprised the heck out of me, I was speeding in the left lane but the trooper didn't care about that. He let me off with a warning and as I gave my approval of the law and told him I wished they enforced this elsewhere.

paulchua likes this.
  25. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Same here in WA but it makes no difference to the left lane campers. Additionally, despite the claims by LEO's I have never seen or heard of anyone being cited for a left lane violation.

paulchua likes this.