Moving to Dubai a bad idea? | FerrariChat

Moving to Dubai a bad idea?

Discussion in 'Middle East' started by ThePrince, Sep 22, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ThePrince

ThePrince Rookie

Dec 15, 2013
    Canada
    it's something I've been contemplating for quite some time now, but friends who live in that area are all indicating that expats are leaving in droves?! I know people usually exaggerate, but seems like the political tension in that area (specifically the proximity of the situation in Yemen) is hurting the economy.

Is this a bad idea? I always liked the UAE, and now that laws are changing to allow 100% foreign ownership of a company, it seems more attractive than ever for me.

Thoughts?

2. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Long long conversation, really so many factors to consider. I think it’s a great place to be but it reminds of a house of cards. Happy to chat, I have been there a lot and my cousins live there as well.

3. Camp Freddie

Camp Freddie Karting

Oct 19, 2015
    London, Doha, Beirut
    Indeed, it is a long conversation.

Just a few things from the OP, the Yemen conflict is not a day to day issue, however the ongoing GCC embargo of Qatar is. It is hurting all sides massively on a daily economic basis and all the protagonists are now so entrenched no-one can lose face by backing down. I am in Doha but have many friends in the UAE and yes 'western' expats are leaving but that is mostly down to the recruitment of expats from more emerging countries. This is driving down wages and rents and a lessening in demand for 'premium' day to day living.

Qatar on the other hand is in a massive state of denial and developing closer with Turkey / Russia / Iran is not going to fix the problem anytime soon.

The whole situation imo originates from the internal political strife ongoing in the KSA being fed by The Donald.

No idea what your business ventures may be but concur with uhn2000 that it all feels one step from a total meltdown / disaster.

Exercise caution I think

Makuono likes this.
  4. Kimonoto

Kimonoto Rookie

Oct 25, 2018
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Alehandro
    My friend used to live in UAE for 5 years. First year was some kind of paradise for him, but then... As he told "i decided to leave this country cause i won't never become citizen of this country".