Member Big Green Egg Thread! | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Member Big Green Egg Thread!

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by rob lay, Jul 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    It was good, but it was a little dry.

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Try brining and plate setter, and that should solve your problem. Better yet, stick with thighs and you're golden.
    T

3. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Hmm, that’s odd. I don’t think I’ve ever gotten dry chicken on the BGE, unless it was waaay overdone. Did you take the internal temp of the chicken before you took it off?

I have a thermapen- chicken comes off at 165 degrees internal temp. I have cooked higher and still had it juicy. That’s why I’m wondering if you just cooked it way too high.

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    it was cooked right amount of time I had checked it and still slightly raw in middle, so I just did a little more. I didn't use temp gauge. It was going real hot last night, about 500.

5. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Always cook to internal temp, not time. Makes a big difference. The thermapen isn’t cheap, but it’s a great instant read- super fast readings. Well worth the money. Also, consider getting a remote temp probe if you don’t already have one. I have both, but use mostly the thermapen. I use the Remote probe for long cooks mostly.

https://www.thermoworks.com/Thermapen-Mk4

rob lay likes this.
  6. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Are they a sponsor now? I keep seeing them in the main sponsor banner add on the top of the page (on iPad)

7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    just banners and will see in some newsletters.

8. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Ok. I thought the very top banner was only for sponsors?

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    for "direct" sponsors, no network placements there.

10. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I'm confused. Maybe it's late. Maybe I'm tired :D

They are not a sponsor but they have banner adds showing in the direct sponsor only banner add area? What I'm I missing? :)

11. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    There are only network and direct sponsors. direct sponsors work directly with me and can have any number of options or configurations. they didn't want to participate in the community, so they gave up what most consider the most valuable part of sponsorship. I guess I could put them on Sponsors page, but I have just put those active in community so far.

12. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    I woke at 5:10 this morning. 9 lbs of brisket was on by 5:45.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Terror occurred in the first hour, when I was putting WAAAAY too much heat in and i had already reached a temp of 140 inside. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't let me mess this up!! MEASURE the temp at the cooking surface! I have a turkey frying thermometer that I can stick in between the halves of the ceramic.

SOMEWHERE in the middle of the day:

with an "hour" to go, I turned it over. That hour turned into two. and then magic happened.

The results are fork tender, and just amazing. I have pork down, and there's has been an awakening with my brisket. I sided with a little Rufus Teague BBQ sauce. They have it at my Kroger here in Atlanta.

sjd

rob lay and TexasF355F1 like this.
  13. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ^Gorgeous! What temp did you run initially?
    T

14. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    It started out too hot. The KJ dome thermometer was sneaking up on 200, the coal was all new coal, there was a heat deflector in place, but the cooking surface temp had to be near 350-375. There was some good glow in the lower draft door (too hot). Like I said, I hit 140 degrees in an hour an a half. I have a water bath under the brisket (probably 1" of water in a 9x13 pan, which also catches the drippings), and its bubbling, let's just close everything to a crack and wait. At 3 hours i'm at 170. I mop with cold apple juice, temp plummets. Awesome, i'm back in business. I'll ride the stall as long as I can...well, that was 7-8 hours. then with 15 degrees to go, I turned it to get the top side facing the water bath, which needed a refill/deglaze anyway. (I ended up with a cup and a half of beef concentrate), after the flip, the temp drops 3 degrees, then rode along there for an extra hour. Pulled at 195 degree, put in pan with the drippings, covered with foil, and towel tent for another hour. I won't go as far as a cooler, i'm not that serious about it.

The results are awesome.

sjd

15. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Nice.

Whats the deal with turning it over?

16. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    Methodology. Some do, some don't, I figure I was "steaming" one side of it with the water bath below, and there wasn't much to fat left to render, the juices run back through, and make the formerly top side which was drying out nice and juicy. Is that different than mopping? Who knows...it came out great. I've made 3 briskets....ever. This was one of the best ones.

Adding to above, smoke was Post oak and Pecan.

sjd

17. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Still trying to perfect the ribs on the egg. Differences this time rib rack, Apple instead of Cherry wood, more wood for the initial smoke profile, better quality meaty ribs, and shooting for 6 hours total.

18. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    20 minutes left of 5 hours and 2 hours wrapped, then 1 hour finish unwrapped. We’ll see how it comes out, temps good now, but I couldn’t get them down from 300 first 90 minutes. :(. Hopefully that didn’t overdo them especially since I’m going 6 total.

Nice Old Fashioned.

19. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Nice! I would be curious how it comes out. I am still trying to perfect pork ribs in the egg and working on honing the hours.

20. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Oengus and Dave rocks like this.
  21. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
  22. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I didn’t take finish pictures, but they were the best I’ve done yet. Did the 3-2-1 Power Pig recommended. They were so tender one slab split when I grabbed off rack. If anything I will just try to keep temp down those first couple of smoke hours. I think hard though as I put a bunch of Apple on top to get initial smoke profile and that generates more heat as burns easily.

JL350 and powerpig like this.
  23. JL350

JL350 Karting

Jan 20, 2013
    A trick I learnt in Brazil when the coals were giving off too much heat is to splash some water onto the coals to quench some heat out of them. Use a cup of water and flick the water onto the coals as evenly as possible, or could mist with a water spray bottle but a third to half a cup might be needed. Once you get the hang of it it is easier, the first few times trying not to go too high in temp is hard...

rob lay likes this.
  24. powerpig

powerpig F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 12, 2008
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    You don't need much wood to get a good smoke profile. Don't add the wood until the temp is set. Then, you only need to add 2-3 fist size chunks. Also, are you removing the silver skin from the ribs? The smoke will permeate the ribs much better with that removed.

You're a big hunter. Ever think of doing a wild game smoked meatloaf? Here's a pick of some Smoked Elk/Boar Meatloaf I did recently. We sell out in less than an hour every time we have it.

NbyNW, slm and rob lay like this.
  25. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    I forget how good the BGE is for chicken.

Tonight, I made a bunch of chicken thighs for the family (sorry no pics). Rubbed with Dizzy Pig Crossroads seasoning, and cooked direct (top grate on my setup) at 300 degrees for about an hour (flipped at the 30 minute mark). Internal temp of the chicken measured at ~175, which is on the high side, but the chicken was juicy and tender, with a nice crispy skin.

I’d like to think that it’s the cook, and not the cooker, but there is something about the Big Green Egg and chicken. I dont think I’ve ever had chicken come out dry on this thing, even when over cooked. It’s a miracle cooker.