BMW guys on FerrariChat? | Page 68 | FerrariChat

BMW guys on FerrariChat?

Discussion in 'Other German' started by DriveAfterDark, May 14, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stibbett

stibbett Karting

Mar 19, 2018
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Simon Tibbett
    Ak Jim likes this.
  2. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I recently picked up this 1995 BMW m3. It's a low mileage concours condition former EAG car. It's also a rare Mugello red, which was a single stage paint only offered for a few months in early 1994 (as 1995 model). I'm a long time BMW enthusiast having owned everything from a 318ti to an I8 and maybe close to a dozen in-between. The E36 M3 is my personal favorite of the M3 line, and the 1995 model in particular, for a host of reasons I don't want to bore you with. Regardless of model year, the handling, balance, and the turbine like smoothness of the engine are truly remarkable. It was without peer in its day. I know some people prefer the Euro version, but the actual performance numbers are similar and the American version is bulletproof with comparatively little maintenance. Anyway, I just picked it up a couple of months ago after having not driven one in over a decade and it was just as good as I remembered it. Its a gem of a car and I hope to have it for years to come.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I think the new Z4 looks great. Better with regular colored wheels (black rims never flatter a design) and in the orange color shown at pebble beach.

4. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
  5. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    congrats! theyre awesome cars all around

6. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
  7. bobbyd

bobbyd Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2003
    So much for BMW sedans not being collectible!! The E39 M5 is definitely on the map!!

8. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

You mean the hype articles followed by the straw bidding over at gooding? If you say so.

9. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Camp Freddie likes this.
  10. Camp Freddie

Camp Freddie Karting

Oct 19, 2015
    London, Doha, Beirut
    You need black rims mate to set off the kidneys and splitter

11. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    I had not decided what rims yet. I like the vorsteiner demo car's satin wheels, black wheels are usually not my thing. i am not one in to hiding shapes a designer worked hard on.

12. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
  13. TheDuke

TheDuke Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2011
    Texas
  14. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    yeh good buy id say...fun car and 62k miles is nothing...

15. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I think he has a point. It's easy for enthusiasts to compare to cars that are 15 years old like they could be made exactly the same today. As if competition didn't exist. I think BMW does its share of building enthusiast cars, still - particularly the smaller ones - and while I think they are going a bit too far with the M division, I still enjoy their regular cars. I have a 118i hatchback (can't get it in the states) with rear wheel drive and a small 4 cyl engine, and the little car feels like a go kart and is seriously fun to drive. I can only imagine what it's like to drive the coupé versions (now called the 2 series). Those are fantastic drivers' cars, but someone will always find a nit to pick.

I just fixed my 635csi which had been parked for 2 years with a fuel injection issue, and driving it around lately allows me to experience the old, analog BMW. It's a nostalgic experience which in many cases you can easily get by simply purchasing an older model. When I jump from the 635 to the 118, I feel just as good, and I feel there is a definite connection there. To me the lineage remains strong.

AUDIO RESEARCH likes this.
  16. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    They can suck it. The X6M is the only car I care for anymore. I really miss my 1st gen Z4, and the E38. Stylish, drivable, fun.

17. BOKelley

BOKelley Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 5, 2009
    Au'n Colorado
    Full Name:
    Brock
    I have been a "round tail light" guy since the 70's and remember when the 320i was first introduced here in the US in 1977. It too was met with doubt and suspicion as everyone loved their beloved 02's. To some degree they were right, the 320i just wasn't in the same league as the lighter, more toss-able 2002. But the 320i had much better creature comforts and the marque began to appeal to a new demographic, the yuppie. They sold in droves and fairly quickly the custom of flashing oncoming BMW's faded as new owners unfamiliar with the history and exclusivity of ownership simply didn't know what was going on. Suddenly it seemed you couldn't go 10 miles without passing one on the road. Times change.

I still have the '73 2000tii Touring I purchased sight unseen from a gentleman in Minneapolis ....I love the car and think all the new ones suck! ;)

Brock

18. PKIM

PKIM Karting

Jan 1, 2004
    Redlands
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I love BMW M3!! It's like bimmerfest at my house. I have E92 M3, E46M3, two E36M3 and a track car E36 M3. Love the E92, last of the V8 such a beast yet so tame, great Vegas trip car, comfortable and pulls like a freight train. Also love the simple and minimalist E36.

19. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
  20. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I don't agree with all the BMW Retro love. I've had a bunch of them starting with a 1984 528e. The E46M3 was a good car but somehow drove heavier than it was. It never felt like a nimble car to me. I drove a bunch of current M3/M4's lately and I think they are better in every way than the E92. Same weight, more power down low. Much better car on the highway with a much nicer interior.

I think they've all been good cars for the time.

21. TheDuke

TheDuke Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2011
    Texas
    I see what you are saying. There is a lot of nostalgia around the old M cars.

I have an E36 and an E92 M3. Both put a huge smile on my face and I love driving them for different reasons. However, it should come as no surprise that I get in the E92 90% of the time.

I’ll never sell the E36, but will eventually sell the E92 and most likely buy an F80. I love the V8 and everything about the E92, but I know I’ll eventually sell it. I haven’t driven an F80 before so I’m curious how the sound and power/handling compare.

22. atomicskiracer

atomicskiracer Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Boomhauer and NürScud like this.
  23. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I just bought a 2018 540i and couldn't agree more. I've had 3 750's in a row and wanted something smaller. I did a 1000 mile road trip this past weekend and this is the best car I've owned for interstate work. I went RWD and with the inline 6 to keep some weight off the car and be a little more traditional. The engine and transmission match is perfect. I think it's quicker than the last gen 550i I drove. Stiff platform and very, very quiet. I've got the M suspension and it's spot on using the normal setting. No wallow or drift and you don't wince when you see rough road coming. M's are fun but not my first pick for a long highway trip.

The car has all the electronics stuff in it and it works great. Easy and intuitive. I'm a run flat hater and somehow they've even sorted that. Tires are quiet with a smooth ride. I really like the motor and it reminds me of the older 535/635/735 days. It's happy at 600rpms or 6500rpms.

This car is better than any BMW I've owned and is exceeding my expectations.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

TexasF355F1 likes this.
  24. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden