Ferrari 488 Pista on the track | FerrariChat

Ferrari 488 Pista on the track

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by kevin1244, Sep 25, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kevin1244

kevin1244 Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2008
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    KAA
    If you haven't seen it...I am generally not a fan of turbo engines' sound, but Pista has a lovely turbo whine...

Caeruleus11 and BaronM69 like this.
  2. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Amazing car, but where was the sound?

Sent from my 16M

3. anishka

anishka Karting

Dec 30, 2013
    U. P., Michigan
    Full Name:
    Larry
    Has anyone here heard the pista in the flesh?

I know video sound has its limitations, but the few videos I have heard have left me less than moved.

4. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
  5. nmcclure

nmcclure Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2014
    TX
    haha.....yea. I will say they do a better job than their peers....but NA>>>>>>Turbo when it comes to sound. When F1 made the change, the races became a snooze fest for me.

6. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Nice looking.... Pretty dull sounding...

7. F430Modena

F430Modena F1 Rookie

May 26, 2005
    Portugal
    I was at Barcelona too, and the car doesnt had a striking sound , and when the Scud came to the track the difference was like wine / watter :D

The new models had many regulations to cut the sound, i dont know what happen when we had 599GTO or a Scud with sweet soundtrack from the engine , since then the cars lost the soul.

Only one 488 Spider had a nice soundtrack but the exhaust wasnt stock.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  8. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Sounds like every other mediocre turbo car in that video. Nothing noteoworthy IMO.

9. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Looks great, but sounds like sh!et.

10. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I really liked the Maserati GT on looks and I had heard it also sounds terrific. So my wife wants the convertible version and we currently own a QP with the 530hp TT V8. The GT has a 454hp NA engine and so when we tested the car it sounded fabulous but when it was my turn to drive and I stepped on the gas, it was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW. The QP is much faster. This is exactly how the Pista compares to the previous NA F cars including the Speciale and the 458, by comparison those cars are SLOOOW and getting SLOOOOOOOOOOWER.

You can't make the NA car faster but you can make the Turbo car sound better in a number of ways. I know because I have done this with previous turbo cars I own and I am currently doing it to my 488. Furthermore, if you want to tweak the turbo cars with a tune, there is plenty more hp to be gotten by using a modified ECU map, making the car even faster. Can't do that with NA.

11. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I'll be very interested if you can get a semblance of great sound out of the 488. Have yet to hear one modded 488 that stacks up yet, but hopeful you can achieve it!

wrs likes this.
  12. Bendrover

Bendrover Karting

Dec 18, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    I have watched that video before and had the same thought - Not impressive! I have watched other video's where the Pista sounded much better. Will just have to wait and see in person what it sounds like and do an aftermarket exhaust if needed.

13. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    Engine sounds like a typical 488. Much of the extra noise you're hearing on the track is tire noise, keep in mind the Pista comes with more aggressive rubber than other 488 cars, which means more tire noise.

14. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    A common sense example of the ease of gaining easy power from a forced induction motor. These turbo cars are for the masses whereby the NA's are for those seeking OEM engine brilliance: 2012 599 GTB had (612 hp@7,600 rpm/448 lb-ft) and 2013 Laf had (789 hp@9,000 rpm/516 lf-ft). Same F140 series NA V12 engine. For reference, 2014 track FXX-K had 848 hp@9,250rpm with F140 engine and it's got the smaller V12 compared to the 812s.

15. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I think your main point that turbo engines are usually easier to tune is correct. But I think Ferrari has gone to such great lengths with their turbo motors that I don't know if the typical tuning methods would yield much of a result. I can tell you I have done some work to my 458 and its now making a good 50hp over stock, so its still possible to get some more power out of NA. And the sound is fantastic! However, you are right, the world changes and we are now in the era of turbo.

I didn't really hear that. It sounds to me like a better sounding 488 but still a 488. I also think tire makers engineer in the noise as a way to give you feedback that you are approaching the limit of adhesion.

16. bobbyd

bobbyd Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2003
    Guess for $500K you can't have everything in a modern Ferrari.

Too bad as for many a signature feature of Ferrari had always been the sound.......

17. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Ferrari 308 Vetro F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
    Never forget, it’s a sports car, no race car ;-)