Soon to be first time Ferrari owner. Have questions | FerrariChat

Soon to be first time Ferrari owner. Have questions

Discussion in '612/599' started by CptJoe1983, Sep 27, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CptJoe1983

CptJoe1983 Rookie

Aug 4, 2017
    I am currently considering the California 30 as i need back seats and those seem to be very reliable. But i also really like the 612's. How would the 612 be for a semi daily driver. 3 times a week. Are there any years that should be avoided? Any known problems i should be aware of? I will definitely be getting a ppi. The one thing i do like about the 612 is the v12 of course and it has much larger back seats.

2. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    I have an OTO 612 made in April of 2008.
    I cannot speak for the pre-OTOs but my car is certainly suitable as a daily driver.
    Just park away from the door dingers.

lee-o likes this.
  3. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    My '06 has been reliable. I dont drive it everyday but it works when i need it be it a 3 mile or 300 mile drive.

lee-o likes this.
  4. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I've put 30,000 miles on my 612 OTO since I bought it 5 years ago. I had one bushing pop out of the sway bar ($500 to replace both) and one fuel pump crack (I forget what it cost but it was reasonable). The fuel pump seems to be a recurring problem for the 612's and 599's. Other than that, the car is really bullet proof. Handle the window switches, side mirror switch, and reverse lever gently lest they break.

I think the car can definitely be used as a DD. I wouldn't avoid any year, but the OTO models offer some nice upgrades.

lee-o likes this.
  5. CptJoe1983

CptJoe1983 Rookie

Aug 4, 2017
    Excellent! thank you gentlemen for your input. I go tomorrow to see one in person. Iv seen the cali's before but never a 612

6. jochem00

jochem00 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2014
    Netherlands
    a 612 is very reliable if well maintained. very robust setup

7. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    F50gta likes this.
  8. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Its pozi blue

9. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    I have had my 07 612 for 3 years and it shares daily driver duties with a Mercedes. I love it and no problems to report.

PS John’s car looks awesome.

10. HKS479

HKS479 Karting

Sep 23, 2015
    Zurich, Switzerland
    HI Joe, whilst they are both „4 seater Ferraris“ you really cant compare them. The 612 was one of the most expensive Ferraris they sold at the time. In fact here in Switzerland the average sticker price of a 612 was actually similar to an 812 today (ok there was been some currency movement since then but makes you think!). The California on the other hand was one of the cheapest and designed to lure SL buyers and provide a gateway car to more desirable models. Whilst I’ve not driven a Cali I have sat in one and I can say the interior quality is on a completely different level to a 612 which has, IMHO, one the most beautiful Ferrari interiors since since the early 60s.

As people have said the 612 is mechanically a robust car with some fragile minor switch gear. Having driven all the variants I would actually recommend an earlier car for daily use. The HGTx and OTO cars came with stiffer suspension, louder exhausts and a more aggressive setup. Whilst the gearbox in the earlier cars is a tad slower the whole driving experience is more relaxed. It would be my choice.

In truth the Cali is probably an easier car to drive and live with day to day and will also stand out less (612s are pretty rare sight after all) however based on the countless reviews I‘ve read or watched many claim they are just not that special. Try finding a review of the 612 that does not rave about it ability to both crush miles and transform into a proper sports car when you want to have fun. Remember these cars are only 1 second slower around Fiorano than an F40!

Other things to consider:
    V12 vs V8 - no contest
    Back seats - Genuine 4 seater vs token gesture
    Rarity - around 3000 612s made over 7 years, there was almost that many Californias made annually!
    Future value - 612s are overlooked right now, they are at the bottom and can only go one way. To me I see the Cali as the future Mondial (I don‘t mean to be nasty to either car but I think it’s the reality).
    Beauty - Subjective. The 612 was lambasted when it came out for being plain or even ugly. Its not a car that photographs well, it tends to become shapeless unless carefully lit. But they are much more beautiful in the flesh and are aging very nicely. In today’s world of super aggressive looking sports car the 612 stands out as one of the last elegant „Gentleman‘s GTs“. Even Aston have moved into the super aggressive look. The 612 „Scaglietti“ is a homage to Sergio Scaglietti who designed the most beautiful Ferrari’s ever made. The more you get to know old Ferraris the more you see their influence in the design of the 612. I believe they will become more appreciated as time goes on.

Am I biased? Yes of course because I own one. However I choose to buy one over a 550, 599 and a FF for some of the reasons listed above.

Jeremy

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Titanium, Makuono, randkin and 8 others like this.
  11. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    I agree with everything Jeremy said and that was precisely why I bought my 612. You are getting the top of the line car for around the same price as the bottom of the line.

One really, really big point for me is there are far fewer 612s around and they don’t look like anything else. I even took it a step further and bought a red one. While there are lots of red Ferrari’s, there are very few red 612s. Don’t like to drive a car that looks like everybody else’s Toyota.

Makuono, lee-o and HKS479 like this.
  12. meandmyredcorvette

meandmyredcorvette Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 15, 2014
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Dino
    My choice is 612 No brainer!

13. 360Marnix

360Marnix Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2017
    Holland
    I had a 360 (which I crashed) When I was considering an other car I looked for many different cars. F430, 550, 575, 456, AM Vantage, Vanquish, DB9. Maserati's. But not the 612.

But when I saw one at a dealership and took the time to look at it a little better, I totaly felt in love with it. Om the list above there was no car that gave me the 'wow-factor' but the 612 did.

I didn't liked the color though. A few weeks later I found a stunning 612 just within my price range.

When you compare a California with a 612, I am quiet sure you will fall in love with the 612. (and if this happens with the Cali, it is still okay!)

Verstuurd vanaf mijn G3121 met Tapatalk

14. Anthony James

Anthony James Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2012
    Essex
    So how did it go CPT?
    I just got in from a spirited ride around cape in my 612 and and i'm still smiling. It's an elegant car that always gets a complement from strangers, 4 humans fit in it, it's fast and THE SOUND of a V12 is Intoxicating. you will not be disappointed in your choice.

15. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    f612, great looking car, both interior and exterior. The wheels look great.

CptJoe1983, one of the great things about the 612 is that most were special ordered by their owners and so you have a wide variance on the interiors based on personal taste. This allows for further personalization to suit your own taste without creating an obvious one off.

My 612 had a tan interior with red stitching that went very well with the exterior. But, I had a tan dash and I didn’t like the sun’s reflection off it while driving (I would definitely not recommend a car with a tan dash). So I decided to replace it with a black dash with red stitching (hard to see the red stitching in the picture below) and I revised the steering wheel as well and made it complement later cars.

My point is, I made sure this was done with Ferrari leather and to factory specs and I was able to personalize the car to suit me. That only works with a car that is individualized in the first place. You have that opportunity with a 612 but not with a Cali.

For me, as a daily driver, it is important that the car reflect me and that I enjoy every detail of it.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

F3RN4ND0 and Makuono like this.
  16. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I got my '08 612 OTO (w/5.5k miles) to replace my CL 55 (with over 210k miles) which was my DD. But I liked the 612 so much I didn't want to subject to the rigors of DD duties. So I got a Panamera Turbo S for DD duties and use the 612 as a "special" car. Perhaps if I had purchased a Gen 1 612 with 20k+ miles I would have used as a DD. The 612 has had no issues and now have 10.5k miles after three years.

Makuono likes this.
  17. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I hear you. My 599 is the first car that really felt so special I am hesitant to DD. Not a reliability issue, just a WOW issue.

18. Harry Bradfield

Apr 15, 2019
    Full Name:
    Harry Bradfield
    >Not sure if I'm in the right forum or not, but here goes.
    My recently retired father seems determined to realize his long term desire to own a Ferrari V12. If it's a Ferrari then it must have a V12.
    Presently looking at late 612 and 599 models. I realize they are different beasts but both have that longed for V12 engine.
    I'd be grateful for any advice / suggestions as to which might be considered the more " sensible " choice.
    I'm concerned the 599 might be a little too " nervous " for him but once he has an idea in his head, it's difficult to change it.
    Thanks.

19. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    A Ferrari IS a V12!

I bought my first at age 75 because it took me that long to pay cash without affecting my family's security or lifestyle.

I bought the OTO White 612 above (post 14). Love the 599 but the 612 is more practical, comfortable and can carry luggage.

They are both way faster than you can get away with on the road.

20. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    First thing there is no such thing as a "sensible" Ferrari. :)If you want a "sensible" car get a Toyota SUV or something akind to that. Otherwise get the Ferrari that appeals most to your heart. The 599 is a great two place GT car. The 612 is a great four place GT car. If you ever think you might want to haul another couple around then the 612 is the car. Both cars are fast enought that you will not be dissapointed with a 1st Ferrari.

The 612 price point is a bit better than the 599 just because it is a 2+2 Ferrari which cost more to start and depreciates faster. But at this point either car is well depreciated so that is less a factor. There were less 612 made than 599 so the selection of 599s will be greater. Likely easier to find more exactly what you want in color and equipment with a 599. Usually there are about 10 -20 612s available for sale at anyone time and about 50+ 599s. Most of the 612s will be gen 1 non OTO cars and 2-4 of that number for OTO cars. OTO - One To One are the gen 2 cars built from 20081/2 -2010 cars.
    Have fun hunting. :D

21. Harry Bradfield

Apr 15, 2019
    Full Name:
    Harry Bradfield
    Thanks for your imput, I appreciate it. A quick question which might or might not have importance of cosmic proportions.
    We have located a likely candidate 599. We like just about everything about it except.... it doesn't have wing / fender Ferrari badges.
    How important are those badges? According to a video by John Cena on a 612 he advised never buy a Ferrari without them as selling it on with be problematic.
    Thanks.

22. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    If he just wants to tool around town, get a 599, if he wants to take long trips, get a 612. Problem solved!

23. Motorama

Motorama Karting

Jul 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Stijn Van Loffelt
    Why would that be important at all.. it's all matter of Taste

599_GTO likes this.
  24. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    As said above, it's a matter of taste. The fact they there are cars without them means that people wanted them without the shields. They were something like a $1,700 option. My Silverstone 612 does not have them and it looks very stealthy with out. When I first bought the car, someone had added aftermarket ones which I quickly removed. All a mater of taste.

Harry Bradfield likes this.