Portofino on track | FerrariChat

Portofino on track

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by j09333, Sep 28, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    Portofino is not for drift.
    Understeer too much.
    There is very very thin line of successful slide.
    It either spins or front bites.

Ferrari says it is GT and this is why.
    Enjoy! :)

Griffon83 likes this.
  2. Golden Steed

Golden Steed Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    I saw this earlier today.

The Portofino is not a track car. That's what I love most about it. Ferrari ruined the V12 Grand Tourers with the track focus. That's why those cars are so ugly. The Portofino is a wholly practical and usable car with plenty enough savagery under the hood to make it do anything you could want on an actual road.

The beauty of this car is that it DOESN'T belong on a track.

Griffon83 likes this.
  3. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Perhaps. Or you just can’t drive.

peppe siciliano likes this.
  4. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    Look like it was doing fine to me after he stopped trying to drift it.

5. Griffon83

Griffon83 Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2016
    Greece
    Full Name:
    Nassos
    He was lucky he didn't end up losing control of the car and crash it.

6. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    Ferrari setup is more and more focused on going faster and less fun.
    Portofino is perfect example.
    It could have been Ferrari’s M3.
    Instead, they increased front grip and made the car less tossable.

Same day same track.
    This could have been Portofino.

kevin1244 likes this.
  7. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    Exactly. The Portofino is great for the road which is where most of them will spend 99% of the time. What is a real shame is the V12 GT line. All these F12/tdf/812 are way too heavy for the track. They should focus their track efforts on the smaller cars like Pista.

Golden Steed likes this.
  8. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    But BMW built the M2 to be very very easy to drift- as that is what their clients want. I doubt most Portofino clients want a real drift machine. Once you stopped trying to drift the Portofino it looked like it was doing well.

4th_gear and j09333 like this.
  9. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    It does track job well. In fact, it is the perfect example of what FR sports cars should do on track.
    Safe to push the limit, behaves calm when on the limit, and demands patience when entering and balanced while trail braking.
    Never had FR cars behaves this nicely during grip run.

Problem is me. I am done driving fast. I am only into sliding....For that, modern front grip cars are no no....

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  10. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I thought the same thing when I was driving a Portofino on track last week. But I didn't push the car really hard. I just thought this is a really really nice car! I totally understand why you would enjoy sliding: its fun! I call it "hot dogging it" around a turn. Same idea. Not fast, but fun. I bet the 812 would likely be a more suitable drift Ferrari. I have yet to drive one on track...

j09333 likes this.
  11. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    And then you see the M2 video....

kevin1244, Caeruleus11 and j09333 like this.
  12. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Drifting greatly accelerates tire wear especially if you have expensive extreme performance tires, so it would be somewhat of a waste of tires not designed to drift. OTOH, if you love drifting, you might want to swap out such tires for some cheaper, less grippy rubber or even put them on a second set of used rims. I suspect grippy tires would just make it harder to drift the car.

What I don't like about BMWs is that they like to swap ends quite readily, which I suppose also makes them good for drifting. Unfortunately, you also see a lot of BMWs going off the Ring on crash videos. :rolleyes:

13. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    You dont want to know how much I spend on tires :)
    I can not go any cheaper lol
    M2 is kinda daily.
    Have drift car for real drift.

What I don’t like about M2 is it lacks angle.
    I once tried to extend angle but then error pops up with steering angle sensor.
    Thus, the angle is limited to factory spec so much is the fun.

Will try cheaper kumho tires with portofino and see how that changes the behavior but I don’t expect much.
    Winter is comming. So the timing is right :)
    Portofino’s original tire’s rear is gone anyway lol

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  14. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Yeah I think ECSTAs could be had for about half the price of same-size PSSs.

Not sure about benefits of greater steering angle but maybe the M2's rack is a bit slow - it's electric, right? I also don't know anything about drift cars but I suspect you can play with sizing or setting up your tires. Stiffer (shorter) sidewalls in the front, higher tire pressures, wider tires and higher (softer) sidewalls, reduced tire pressures, wider tires in the rears should increase oversteer (slip angles). You can also change the ride height of the front vs the rear suspension (within reason, of course). How about putting a (full), extra spare wheel in the trunk (?)...cheaper than changing factory specs. :D

j09333 likes this.
  15. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    My man! You know how to play!

16. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Well maybe, in a different way. I'm trying to make my tires last one more season. ;)

j09333 likes this.
  17. old man

old man Karting

Jul 8, 2010
    If you want a track car, get a 488 GTB/Spider or a Pista (was at the factory last week and they are all over the place but can't get one).

Golden Steed likes this.
  18. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    Done that and they are good in certain ways but for that gt3rs was way way better.
    Pista spider comming and lets see how that goes :)

19. John458

John458 Karting

Nov 24, 2014
    Ohio
    When I had a Cali T, I took it on track with other Ferraris, Lambos, and McLarens. I was amazed at how well it performed including drifting. Only area I could not keep up was the straight aways but in all tge turns and drifting I was right behind them.