488 Challenge and Ferrari Challenge Series | FerrariChat

488 Challenge and Ferrari Challenge Series

Discussion in 'Challenge/GT Cars/Track' started by Ky1e, Apr 22, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    Considering buying a 488 Challenge to run in the 2019 Ferrari Challenge Series. Anyone have experience with the 488 Challenge and/or the Ferrari Challenge Series?

I put in a request to my dealer to get pricing, delivery, and requirements for the series. I have my own race team and race in IMSA and some PWC events (GT4 Mustang in IMSA Conti GS and PWC GTS) but wasn't sure if you are allowed to run your own race team or if you need to go thru a dealer.

Heard the 458 had some gear box issues, dont know how the 488 has been.

2. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I believe you must use an authorized Ferrari dealer for support services and sponsoring.

Robb

3. MuratC

MuratC Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2014
    Istanbul, Turkey
    I've been racing in Challenge series for 3 yrs. I'm not sure how things are being run in the US but AFAIK, anyone who wants to attend these series must join a team who are authorized by Ferrari and these are %99 Ferrari dealers. So you can not simply by a 488C and race in the series by yourself or by your own team. Better ask a dealer who also runs a Challenge team.

As for the gearbox issues I have not yet heard any solid complaints with the 488C

4. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    Thank you for the replies. Yes i confirmed I must go thru a dealer for support.

5. RedRacer

RedRacer Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 20, 2006
    USA
    Full Name:
    Redracer
    I have been racing Ferrari Challenge North America for 3 years. There is one guy in the series who has his own truck and support but he affiliates with a dealer. PM me if you would like to know more.

6. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    I run support for two dealership teams. Feel free to PM me with any specific questions.

7. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    Update? Did you get a car? What else did you find out? I’m thinking of doing challenge too in 2019.

8. YellowMurci

YellowMurci Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 17, 2005
    NyC Baby!
    Full Name:
    Harry
    I've been considering it with my local dealer as well - to quote "It ain't cheap!"

9. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    UPDATE: I decided not to run in Ferrari Challenge.

I'll be running the full IMSA season (FYI it will be called Michelin in 2019 not Conti) and also running the full PWC Trophy East season. I'm buying 2 cars one for each series. Plus ordered a new custom transporter (tracker trailer) so with my hands full I will not be adding Ferrari Challenge.

10. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

How exciting, congrats. Please post pics of cars! I’m probably going to do 2019 Ferrari challenge. I’ll trade you notes on costs! Lol

Here is my car

Jasonberkeley and LVP488 like this.
  11. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    It looks awesome-- very aggressive! You'll have a lot of fun.

Pro racing is expensive. In 2017 I spent over $2MM on racing. It was my first year and formed my own team so I had a lot start up costs for establishing a new team (tracker trailer, tools, pit equipment, fuel equipment, 2 race cars, etc and we over spent from lack of experience). On going variable costs going forward are about $1MM/year excluding any purchases (new cars, crashes). Averages to around $80K per race for everything, $50K per race if you only count variable costs not purchase of assets. In 2018 it looks like we will be at about $1MM.

However IMSA has full pit stops (tire changers, fueler, engineer, strategist, data guy, team manger, truck driver, paying a pro co-driver-- around 7-10 people on a team) so its more expensive than a Series without live pit stops.

spyderman likes this.
  12. nmcclure

nmcclure Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2014
    TX
    See you in trophy east! I'll be there for you to get points! Haha, are you going to run the cup or the new CS?

13. U-Boat Commander

U-Boat Commander Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2008
    USA
    Can someone break down the costs of Ferrari Challenge? I'm taking my first Corsa Pilota class next month and am looking forward to participating in Challenge perhaps in 2020.

14. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    #14 roma1280, Sep 30, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
    Great! That’s exciting. Those courses are fun.
    Other will have info too, but it should be around $30k per race weekend for the team, $64k to Ferrari to enter the 6 weekends, add a couple of sets of break pads and an extra set of tires for the race weekend $10k. Driving coach is $2k per day plus expenses so call it $7k for the 3 day race weekends. So basic costs around $325k. Then you can add car insurance at around $15k for the season (does not include races but will cover all testing with something like a $40k deductible), damage repairs (depends on you but between $10k for a new panel to around $75k if you wrap the car around a tire wall) so assume $100k for the season. Your disability insurance will go up around $15k per year. So we’re up to about $450k before any testing. Fully loaded cost of testing including with team support, tires, break pads, coach etc around $10k per day. So assuming a dozen days of testing were up to $570k. Then you have to buy the car, which is $400k by the time you have added vbox video system, 2 extra sets of wheels, passenger seat, cool suit system etc. then you have to buy helmet 8860 spec (about $3k) and suits, fireproof underwear, HANS device (another $3/4k). Ideally you need a simulator too to practice tracks etc. (a decent one like CXC around $70k). Then you need to add flights and hotels for all the weekends. This will vary with your tastes, but assume $10k per weekend. So in terms of capital outlay it’s around $500k and around $500k for the season plus crash repairs. I have probably forgotten some stuff and maybe I’m off, but this is my guess.
    To offset the cost, maybe you get a few limited edition cars from your dealer who now loves you, so maybe you end up covering the cost!
    By the way the world final in Italy isn’t included here, you can add the cost for a regular weekend plus air freight for car, spares and your portion of the team costs.

Thecadster and U-Boat Commander like this.
  15. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    Sounds amazing, I love your style! Have a great season and please report back.

16. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    Any other cost estimates of Ferrari Challenge?

17. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    Sorry I meant America East, not Trophy East. America East is the new name for 5 races in the eastern USA that are a subset of the 10 race overall GTS Pirelli World Challenge season. Trophy East is PCA

18. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman
    This is the best information I was seen to date on the costs of the Challenge series.

Thank you for sharing.

roma1280 likes this.
  19. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006

You may run your own team, we do, but you must be partnered and sponsored by a dealer. I highly recommend the series, great group of drivers, driving has seen a great deal of improvement the last several years and there is some great racing going on. We have found a great relationship with our sponsoring dealer as well.

20. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    Wow that’s so cool. What is the tipping point where you have enough cars to split costs reasonably. Is it 4/5 cars?

21. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    That really depends on everyone's budget and the level of support you want. From making a profit point 3 cars is a net zero for us and the fourth car is all profit. We tend to have a high support level and it could be run with less money but our drivers want the extra level of service and support.

22. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    great info, also good to see so many current Challenge drivers on here. the participation numbers have looked really good the last few years.

23. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Did another Corso Pilota, the Evoluzione which includes driving the 488 Challenge as well as 488 GTB and 812. Firstly what a blast and the Thermal Club was amazing. The Challenge cars are really amazing and great to drive the three cars back to back which feel so different. The challenge car is truly in a league of its own.

24. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman
    Mark...I agree that Thermal was a great place to experience the 488 Challenge car. The training and the organization was first 1st class. I enjoyed the Corsa Pilota myself and meeting some great new friends there was a bonus.

roma1280 likes this.