2018 Formula One Season ***Possible Spoilers*** | Page 66 | FerrariChat

2018 Formula One Season ***Possible Spoilers***

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Aircon, Jan 14, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter

yes thanks....You know this isn't the F1 section, right?

2. knocker

knocker F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 10, 2017
    Sydney Aus
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    Apologies I’m just floating around tonight,
    I wish I had a ball to go too

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
  4. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Don't offend Lewis fanbois and you are fine :p

knocker likes this.
  5. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
  6. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    They used their last two 2nd hand engines,they're using rubberbands for the race.......at least they may finish.

7. FazzerPorscheman

FazzerPorscheman F1 World Champ

Jul 28, 2010
    Piz Gloria
    Full Name:
    EnzoFerdinand
    Sounds like a stretch Klink. ;)

8. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Unlikely. :D

9. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
  10. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Yep. He deserved the win and got shafted there.
    Cracking drive by Max.

11. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Valtteri Bottas dutifully played the team game by handing the Russian Grand Prix win to his championship-contending team-mate Lewis Hamilton to allow the Briton to add another seven points to his lead in the drivers’ standings. Hamilton described the situation as ‘super uncomfortable’ and ‘a win that I’m least proud of.’

Instead of the 43 it would have been if he had come home second behind Bottas, it swelled to a hefty 50 points.

Having controlled the race since the opening lap, the call that Bottas would’ve been fearing came half-way through the race.

The team justified the call to protect Hamilton from Vettel as he had a small tyre blister.

He moved over to let Hamilton through and deny third-placed Sebastian Vettel an opportunity to attack Hamilton. But at the end he queried whether they would be switching back again as that threat had subsided. He was told to remain in second place. It will take some management to placate Bottas, who was aware of the possible scenarios but who might feel that Hamilton adding to his points lead by finishing ahead of Vettel might have been enough.

After losing out to Vettel in the pit stops, Hamilton was forced to overtake his rival on-track, with Mercedes’ team orders coming a few laps later to inflict more damage to Ferrari in the drivers’ championship.

The win is an important one; Hamilton can now afford to finish second to Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel in every remaining race and still have enough points to take the drivers’ crown.

In a low-key parc fermé, Hamilton was quick to praise his “gentleman” team-mate, and brought the Finn onto the top step of the podium celebrations.

[​IMG]

“Valtteri did a fantastic job all weekend, and he was a real gentleman to let me by. Obviously, he’s now not fighting for the championship, and it’s been such a great weekend for the team. They’ve done such an exceptional job to have this advantage over Ferrari and have a one-two.

“It is the strangest day that I can remember having in the sport,” said Hamilton. “We have crossed this situation before and it’s always super uncomfortable; I want to win in the right way.

“Usually we would be elated, but I can understand how difficult it was for Valtteri. He did a fantastic job today and deserved to win.

“Championship-wise, as a team we’re trying to win both championships, and I think today it was a real team effort. Whilst it doesn’t feel spectacular, I know he [Bottas] is going to be great in the races to come.”

Kimi Raikkonen finished in a lonely fourth place, whilst an impressive opening stint from Max Verstappen helped him to easily achieve Red Bull’s aim of recovering to fifth place ahead of Daniel Ricciardo.

Sauber’s Charles Leclerc finished as ‘best of the rest’ in seventh place and took his first points since the Austrian Grand Prix.

[​IMG]

At lights out second-placed Hamilton was immediately under attack from a fast-starting Vettel. However, Hamilton tucked into the slipstream of team-mate Bottas and managed to claw back some lost ground and hold onto P2. The Briton then defended into the next big braking zone in order to deny Vettel the place. Raikkonen held onto fourth place.

Behind them, Sauber’s Charles Leclerc moved up to sixth at the start before taking the lead of the midfield with a sensational move around the outside of a hard-defending Magnussen at the long turn three on lap two. The Toro Rossos had a torrid opening few laps of the race; both Pierre Gasly and Brendon Hartley spun out and retired their cars in the early stages of the race.

Further back, Red Bull’s Verstappen had a mega start to the race; he moved up to thirteenth on the opening lap before storming through to fifth place by the end of lap nine. By this time, the ultrasoft tyres were starting to wear and Dutchman’s pace was at least as quick as the leaders’, although he was still twenty seconds off the lead.

With those on the hypersoft tyres pitting after only around a dozen laps, the second Red Bull of Ricciardo was promoted to sixth place, but some sixteen seconds behind Verstappen, although some of that defecit will be attributed to some front wing damage, which would be replaced at his pit stop later on.

Mercedes were the first to blink as the leaders approached the pit stop phase; they brought in Bottas as the lead car, whilst Ferrari responded by bringing Vettel in one lap later.

Quick pit stops for both put Hamilton on the back foot, and when the Briton pitted one lap after Vettel, he marginally lost the place to his championship rival, with Vettel sweeping around the outside of turn two.

[​IMG]

Hamilton, though, responded immediately and put the Ferrari under pressure straight away. He attacked on the following lap into turn two, but a robust defence from Vettel denied him – something which the stewards briefly investigated for a double move. He tried again on the approach to turn four and dived down the inside line and took the place from the Ferrari.

Raikkonen stayed out for a further four laps before also pitting for soft tyres, handing the lead to Verstappen, who was slowly being reeled in by ‘net’ race leader Bottas.

By lap 25, the top four were separated by just five seconds, with Verstappen – who was yet to stop – starting to hold up Bottas, Hamilton and Vettel.

In response, Mercedes gave the call to switch Bottas and Hamilton to prevent the championship leader coming under pressure from Vettel, they swapped places under braking for turn thirteen. The move allowed Verstappen to extend his lead to 2-3 seconds, with the Red Bull controlling the pace.

In the midfield battle, Magnussen was once again getting his elbows out; he edged Renault’s Carlos Sainz towards the outside of turn three in defence of ninth place, much to Sainz’s annoyance. The other Renault of Nico Hulkenberg led the midfield, but he was yet to stop after starting on the soft tyres. His stop would eventually hand seventh to Leclerc.

[​IMG]

Ricciardo was the first of the Red Bulls to pit (lap 39), but the team persisted with Verstappen in the lead. Back-markers allowed Hamilton to briefly close right in on the Dutchman, but the leader fended off the attack into turn two before pitting at the end of lap 43 for ultrasoft tyres.

Following his stop, Verstappen held fifth place and had fourteen second to make up on Raikkonen with ten laps to go, but any hopes of him catching up to the Finn were denied when it became clear that he couldn’t extract any extra pace from the ultrasofts.

With Hamilton now in free air, he was able to increase his pace and create a two-three second buffer to his team-mate and take his eighth win of the season, leading Mercedes’ third one-two finish of the season. Bottas had enquired to his team about reversing the finishing positions, more in hope than expectation, but this was denied by the team.

“This was a difficult day for you and a difficult day for us, but we’ll talk about it afterwards,” said a sheepish Mercedes boss Toto Wolff to Bottas over the radio on the cool-down lap.

Vettel was unable to mount a late challenge to Mercedes and was forced to settle for third place, with Raikkonen taking fourth. The Red Bulls of Verstappen and Ricciardo completed their minimum comeback of fifth and sixth, whilst Leclerc was the only other driver to finish on the lead lap as he took the ‘class B’ honours.

Magnussen’s assertive race yielded an eighth place finish, ahead of the two Racing Point Force Indias of Esteban Ocon and Sergio Perez, who – due to their collision in Singapore – were under the instruction of team orders in order to try and attack the Haas.

12. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Poor Bottas. :(

13. ThePunisher

ThePunisher Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2010
    Full Name:
    Troy
    You know dad is a very sensitive man and cries a lot ??

He doesn't trust me to put the racing seat in the car and yelled at me when I said I put the GPS in for the trip to SA !!

Apparently there is a right way to do it and that's dad's way ....... he's a meanie :(

14. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    You had better believe it !!

15. DMWC

DMWC Formula 3

Jan 23, 2013
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    David C
    Ecclestone thinks Ferrari are ‘too Italian’
    Date published: October 1 2018
    Ferrari’s biggest problem is that they are “too Italian”, that’s according to former F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone.

Although Ferrari had arguably the fastest car on the grid at various stages of this campaign, they failed to capitalise.
    Losing races they were expected to win, most recently Italy and Singapore, Sebastian Vettel has fallen 50 points off the pace.

In the battle for the Constructors’ title, they trail Mercedes by 53 points.

Asked what he believes has gone wrong, former F1 boss Ecclestone told ESPN: “It’s too Italian. I said to somebody the other day it’s back to the old days.”

Pressed on whether by ‘the old days’ he meant prior to Jean Todt, Ross Brawn and Michael Schumacher, who won five titles in a row in the early 2000s, he said: “Yes. Before.

“We got Todt to go there and look after things a little bit, so it wasn’t Italian too much, and Michael was running the team. So it was all a bit different.

“I think they’re missing that sort of a set-up now.”

This is not the first time that Ferrari have been criticised for being too Italy.

Read more: Conclusions from the Russian GP

In 2009 Niki Lauda declared that a return to the “spaghetti culture” was costing Ferrari in the factory, and ultimately out on track.

Ecclestone reckons part of today’s problem is that unlike at Mercedes, Ferrari’s parent company has a big say in the operating of the F1 team.

“Ferrari have got a completely different way of going on to Mercedes, haven’t they,” he added.

“Mercedes has got a team that’s pure, all they do is racing, it’s nothing to do with the manufacturer.

“Ferrari is looking after their car production side of things, gearing that more or less to their Formula One performances. So it’s run in a different way.”

16. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Weekend at Bernie's ..... he's too short to see the forest for the trees

The trouble with Ferrari is that we have Vettel there ...... and Kimi

Put Dan there and LeClerc and the world will be at peace

17. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    I've invited all the good guys from the F1 section over

That way the F1 section can die a natural death and the tifosi can slag Hamilton off to their hearts content

Put the billy on boys , there could be a mass exodus :p

Bas likes this.
  18. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    yeah good one....like the trolls won't follow.

19. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    We'll just get Pap to ban them the second they arrive ....... he works for border security :p

20. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Ha ha ha, I like the idea of Aussie forum being a 'safe space' for non-snowflakes - no bans allowed!

Bas likes this.
  21. fer312t

fer312t Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2010
    Wherever Hamilton is discussed, I will be there, helping balance the scales ;)

22. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    You're unwelcome

we only talk to men here

Bas likes this.
  23. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Told you!! You damn fool. What did you expect?

24. MrF355

MrF355 Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Kimi
    Careful Karen you may get banned for calling someone a snowflake. Calling it as it is or in other words saying the truth is no defence to coping a ban.:D

25. MrF355

MrF355 Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Kimi
    Your more than welcome here where we will balance the scales on your head and I mean that in a weally weally nice way.:)

Bas likes this.