Nice looking UK 575F1 for auction UK 17 October | FerrariChat

Nice looking UK 575F1 for auction UK 17 October

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by greyboxer, Oct 5, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    21ATS likes this.
  2. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    74,000 miles scares me on one of these. I understand the principal of a well driven, well cared for car probably being a better proposition than one that's been sat in a garage and unused. I viewed a 22,000 mile 575m that in reality need recommissioning.

I just can't fathom the auction thing (in the UK anyhow, I don't know if it works any different in the USA). The idea of paying what is effectively a dealer price with no dealer facilities and no come back is scary on a regular car. On a V12 Ferrari it seems a risk too far for me.

I'm out now until spring unless the deal of the century presents itself. It's not helping that our recent house move is sucking up money at an alarming rate either!

3. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
  4. rubystone

rubystone Karting

Mar 11, 2005
    Earth
    You’ve met the current owner of the car too, Jonathan...it was at Ian Barkaway’s open day in the summer. And as to the mileage....if it were a 911 it’d not be considered high at all. There are a heck of a lot of ‘49,000 mile’ 355s out there....yet people continue to buy them believing they really have only covered 49,000 miles. 21ATS says it all really when he describes a low mileage car as needing ‘recommissioning’. If you don’t use them they really don’t like it. Jos’ old car continues to pull like a train, handle like a Caterham and look simply sensational. If it doesn’t sell, it’ll grace summer Italian car events with its presence in 2019...

5. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    High bid GBP 58,000.

6. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    So I did! My apologies, I'd forgotten that.

The mileage thing on Ferraris really is nonsense especially given that almost all the time they are driven to a fraction of what they're capable and simultaneously usually serviced way beyond your average daily hack. But unfortunately the market dictates.

Well at least hopefully that means "it’ll grace summer Italian car events with its presence in 2019...".

7. rubystone

rubystone Karting

Mar 11, 2005
    Earth
    Sold. They returned me a chunk more than that...and to a lovely Scottish lady who isn’t hung up about miles and intends to use the car in the way Jo’s and I have used it. Do yourself a favour Alan and stop pissing about looking for this ‘unicorn’ car. Buy one, enjoy it and get involved in the many free Ferrari events that take place in the south.

8. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    So they paid more than the £58K they bid (excluding commissions)?

Seemed like about the right price to me and like I've said before, I'm not bothered about miles if everything else is right. I just can't grasp the logic of buying at auction.

If that car arrives with the new owner and happens to have a major engine failure, it's on the new owner. No comeback. It may well be the best car that's ever been sold, but it might not be. The fact is there's no comeback whatsoever.

Having now driven a few and currently owning two auto's I'm more drawn to a manual for a special car like this that I'd intend to buy and own for the rest of my life. Which means I'm more likely to be looking at 550's now given the perceived "value" that's being attached to manual 575's.

9. rubystone

rubystone Karting

Mar 11, 2005
    Earth
    Yes. And the auction house had a margin to play with too. That’s what happens in the auction world. You’re right on comebacks, but you’ll never buy a car for that price through a dealer precisely because they have to both build a margin in to cover warranty and to also return the agreed sum to their client. This is because precious few dealers hold such cars as stock; they’re nearly all SOR. So you have to research the car carefully...main dealer service history? With the inspection report including clutch wear, advisories etc? You’d be surprised how few cars have these reports kept in the history file. Why? Because some owners choose not to have the advisories dealt with....and deferred maintenance is a massive cost on prestige cars, be they Porsches, Ferraris or Bentleys...

21ATS likes this.