Am I paranoid or is this normal? | FerrariChat

Am I paranoid or is this normal?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by fga4, Oct 8, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fga4

fga4 Karting

Jan 2, 2017
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Jerry Cellilo
  2. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

When parking at hotels, restaurants, etc., I apply a modest amount of green grease to the parking attendant(s). Thus far that strategy has negated the need for any visual deterrents. Where the anticipated welcome has been less than I'm comfortable with, I simply move.

Smiles and paulchua like this.
  3. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    In the end, do what gives you peace of mind and you be you.

I agree with ViperJoe at exclusive restaurants, my car has always been parked in front (with no green grease up front) - always show my appreciation afterward of course!

fga4 likes this.
  4. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Granted I have "just" a 328, but I just keep it insured and don't sweat it. I do use a shift lock on the manual, but just the fact that it's a manual is a theft deterrent in itself :)

Texas Forever and Schulz308 like this.
  5. Schulz308

Schulz308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2014
    STL USA
    My Buddies and I say that of 308’s !
    Seems to me between it being a manual and the ignition having to be turned all the way back off after attempts to start without letting fuel pressure build, plenty of anti theft built right in!

6. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I haven’t seen one of those locks for a long long time, so I’m guessing it would flummox most thieves on the basis they’d never have come across it before. As the rest here say, the manual boxes, and the f1 system on pre latest range cars is enough to keep most opportinistic thieves at bay, but valet to the front with a little grease is always the preferred method, alternatively, I have an Albanian that will travel with me and wait with the car.... better than taking my Akitas, easier on the leather, and cheaper to feed!

7. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    What do you guys usually give the valet for parking your car ‘up front’?
    Does it vary by restaurant?

paulchua likes this.
  8. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    It depends on how fancy, but the most I gave was $10 since they've always done it without me asking. If I were to ask before I would just give the guy $20.

9. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    My strategy as well. If I think 10 will do the job, otherwise I give 20.

paulchua likes this.
  10. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    But back to the wheel lock grip, my view on car mods has always been do what gives you peace of mind as long as it doesn't have any detrimental effects on others. Having a lock is one additional barrier to amateur thieves, but to professionals, this lock just adds only an extra 20-30 seconds of work for them. That said, it can only help - and not hurt.

Of course, there is also the 'optics' of it. The club on an expensive car has that sort of "plastic sheeting on a couch" connotation. This said I've learned that even if you're in a Ferrari 250 GT California, some people will 'judge you' negatively just because you're driving *that* car. I've grown to appreciate it when people do judge me on things that have absolutely no bearing on them, it allows me to easily identify who to steer clear of in my personal relationships.

It's your car, and do whatever you give you assurance and happiness.

Cheers

11. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I tell valets "The parking brake is poor, where do you want it?" and they never touch more than my keys.
    I really try to avoid valets.

If your actual question is outright theft, just insure it.
    Hate to think of a theft claim though, adjusters are worse than actual thieves.....

FerrariTrini and paulchua like this.
  12. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Why would you ever drive a Ferrari someplace where you have to valet? Just drive your throwdown car.

13. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Hmm... isn't the immobilizer and steering lock enough?

Ak Jim likes this.
  14. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    You can bust those locks rather quickly. What’s the point?

I do find it funny as they are making a return as the “keyless” entry cars are so easy to steal people are going old school. I saw a £100k Range Rover with one the other day; laughed my ass off!!!