How well would Hamilton do in the Schumacher/Hakinnen period? | Page 7 | FerrariChat

How well would Hamilton do in the Schumacher/Hakinnen period?

Discussion in 'F1' started by ren0312, Sep 16, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sammysaber

sammysaber Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2011
    Wow.

Best,
    Sammy

TifosiUSA, stavura and P.Singhof like this.
  2. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    That's more than a bit revisionist. :rollleyes:

All the best,
    Andrew.

3. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Yes, Schumacher was (at least partly) punished for something Prost and Senna did years before. The FIA made an example that they will not tolerate any crashes between the leaders in the final stage of the season to decide the WDC. As he did not win the title anyway this "disqualification" was a farce and Schumacher accepted it because he did not care about stats (unlike you guys)... But to the present day I am still looking for somebody to explain me why Schumacher opened the steering in the moment he saw Jacque and turned in with anything other than reflex, not to mention that in the split second he had other thoughts than "oh ****" rather than "if I now turn into him I might take him off the track. As I am leading the championship this would give me the title if it works out... I think that sounds like a good plan to me, just do it....."
    But since that day everything Schumacher did in his entire career was "on purpose"... When Lewis drove off Rosberg or Max this season it was always "Oh, I had understeer"... yeah right, if you believe all that **** I have a nice bridge to sell....

stavura, fil and daytona355 like this.
  4. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

It's the typical case of a company being prosecuted for the action of one of its employees.
    It happens all the time: when you recruit someone, you are legally responsible for his actions .

McLaren employee Coughlan obtained technical data from his colleague Stepney working for Ferrari.
    When this was uncovered, Ron Dennis apparently denied any knowledge of it, only for his technical team to confess they knew.
    As a result, the FIA sanctioned McLaren with a 100M$ fine and stripped the team of its constructors points.

At no point the FIA managed to prove that Ron Dennis had initiated this illegal data transfer, nor anyone apart from Coughlan.
    The FIA couldn't prove either that Coughlan acted Under instruction, or was mandated by his employer.

The size of the fine and the severity of the judgement can be explained by the protagonists in this affair.
    Max Mosley was FIA Chairman, Ron Dennis McLaren CEO.
    They had a long running feud dating back to Ron Dennis' Project 4 acquiring McLaren in the70s.
    The nature of their disagrement is lost in time, but it's enough to say that Mosley's new position at the head of the FIA gave him immense leverage to exact some pressure on Ron Dennis.
    The spygate gave Mosley the opportunity to put McLaren out of business, no less.
    The severity of the fine, added to the loss on constructor's revenue put the F1 team in Financial jeopardy.
    Ron Dennis had to go cap in hand to Mercedes (40% shareholder then) and other partners, just to save the team from bankruptcy.
    That weakened terribly Ron Dennis' status at McLaren and started the rift with his partners.

So, using spygate, Mosley thought he had inflicted a mortal wound to Dennis' career in F1. In fact he did as recent events have proven.

A few years later, Mosley was himself involved in a sex scandal involving SM sessions with prostitutes, widely reported in the tabloid press, which greatly affected his reputation.
    Mosley was alledgedly on the next Honour List and with this scandal lost his chance to receive the knighthood he craved.
    Some people have quietly whispered that Ron Dennis was behind the denounciation to the press.
    Revenge is a dish better served cold, they say.

Make of it what you want. Some of my info come from Inside McLaren.
    The total loss was close to 200M$ apparently .

Blackmamba likes this.
  5. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I didn't agree with some of Hamilton's moves on Rosberg. I thought it was plainly aggressive and should have been sanctioned.
    It wad dirty driving at its worst, in my book, and unworthy of his talent.
    I don't exonerate him at all for that. Recently he hasn't done any of that, that I have seen anyway.

Schumacher's career was punctuated with agressive moves, sometimes very dangerous, even against his team mate, or worst his brother !!!!
    With Jean Todt being very close to the FIA to protect him, no sanction came, and some drivers adopted his tactics
    Schumacher's dirty driving is the reason I have no respect for him, and do no consider him as a great driver
    He was a thug, and maybe karma came to visit him; who knows

6. sammysaber

sammysaber Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2011
    Unbelievable.

TifosiUSA, stavura and daytona355 like this.
  7. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    I second that...

TifosiUSA and daytona355 like this.
  8. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    +1 that may be the most reprehensible post I have read in the F1 forum since I joined in 2004. I am speechless...

TifosiUSA, stavura, fil and 1 other person like this.
  9. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Completely unnecessary and callous. Nobody deserves what happened to Schumacher - nobody.

Regards,
    Andrew.

TifosiUSA, stavura, 05011994 and 4 others like this.
  10. Blackmamba

Blackmamba Karting

Jun 17, 2016
    Fortunately it’s not what others wishful thinking that determines Hamilton’s future but what he and Mercedes agree on. I shall savour all the time he remains in the sport especially since it obviously makes some people so uncomfortable hehe!

11. R2112

R2112 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2006
    TX

You're just as entitled to think that if it tickles your fancy. I'll continue to stand by my opinion that Hamilton would be a boy among men if he raced back in those days. :)

stavura, Jeronimo GTO and daytona355 like this.
  12. Blackmamba

Blackmamba Karting

Jun 17, 2016
    What was so manly about Schumacher? Maybe it’s just me but I see him as a coward who couldn’t handle teammates so had them contractually obliged to not fight him and he had preferential treatment with regards to machinery. At least 2 of his championships were acquired by cheating one by illegal traction control and the other by ramming a rival when he was about to lose the championship. That doesn’t sound very manly to me but rather reprehensible character.

ktu and william like this.
  13. pizzadude

pizzadude Formula 3

Feb 20, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    I haven’t read this whole thread but I’ll chime in about Schumacher.
    People talk about his comeback as a failure but I think for his age and time away he did very respectable.
    There were times he qualified ahead of and beat Rosberg. I know Rosberg beat him over each season but it wasn’t THAT uncommon for Schumacher to out qualify or finish ahead of Nico. He even put it on Pole at Monaco but had a 5 place penalty.

The Merc he was driving devoured tires. It was fast for a few laps but thats it.

Then Lewis replaced him and Nico fought him hard for 3 years. An old Schumacher beat Rosberg sometimes.
    I think that says a lot for Michaels talent beating a guy that was challenging Lewis. To me if the car had been better he would have snagged a few more wins.

And yes I think Lewis would do great in Michaels era also. I still rate Michael better and thats not a knock on Lewis.

Jeronimo GTO and daytona355 like this.
  14. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Yep, he really said what he did. The mind boggles. Mind you, he doesn’t believe McLaren cheated either!

I’m starting to wonder about this place, it’s like a parallel universe these days...... everyone loves our chief rival and won’t shut up about the guy, and others hate our most influential and revered past drivers.

stavura, sammysaber and fil like this.
  15. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Really? What a load of rubbish

fil likes this.
  16. fer312t

fer312t Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2010
    I think the post about wanting Hamilton to "test out the Halo" and hoping it would "fail the test" was worse...and probably a bunch of other stuff...

Blackmamba and william like this.
  17. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Disgusting post. Who the **** do you think you are to say such ridiculous and unfounded ********?

TifosiUSA, stavura, fil and 1 other person like this.
  18. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Jokes and high jinks are one thing, one mans joke is another mans kryptonite, in Britain the majority of popular humour even on tv is quite sarcastic and dark such as your example, a post suggesting Michael Schumachers skiing accident was payback from the lord for some racing incidents......... that’s quite the other... absolutely disgusting thing that was posted and I hope the moderators take appropriate action

19. fer312t

fer312t Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2010
    You're just picking and choosing what you think is disgusting. I like neither comment - but I personally think legitimately wishing bodily injury on someone is worse than making a tacky comment about someone already injured.

Blackmamba, kraftwerk and william like this.
  20. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Yes only yesterday I read some nonsense about hoping the Queen would cut off Hamiltons head, along with his fans,... it's ludicrous at best totally unfunny unreasonable and out of place as to be even slightly amusing.

Blackmamba and william like this.
  21. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

My comment may sound callous, but my belief is that we all have to face retribution, in this life or in the other, for our wrong deeds.

22. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Wow !

It's a highly competitive, contact sport.
    Michael did not injure or kill anyone.
    He did however break his own leg at Silverstone.

Your statement is the lowest form I've ever seen on Ferrarichat

TifosiUSA, stavura, P.Singhof and 2 others like this.
  23. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    I'm done with this thread.

TifosiUSA and sammysaber like this.
  24. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Motor racing is a "contact sport" ?

I don't think the FIA would agre with you on that point !

Aggressive track moves may not necessarilly injure or kill, but they put other competitors at risk of accident with imprevisible outcome.

Motor racing is about driving skills, not bullying for people to yield in the face of physical threats.

25. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Drivers have been banging wheels and swapping paint since the 1960's.

A former F1 driver was reciting such anecdotes of foul play at our Belgravia historics meeting just last week.

I'm done with this thread.

stavura, sammysaber and daytona355 like this.