Max Verstappen | Page 40 | FerrariChat

Max Verstappen

Discussion in 'F1' started by CRG125, Aug 12, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

The rivalry between Prost and Senna ended with McLaren losing them both in quick succession.

2. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

By contrast Mercedes still won 4 titles on the bounce with Nico and Lewis.

We are now living in a feather duvet nanny state.

william likes this.
  3. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    If re-entering the track at a near right angle into traffic and then denying that it was dangerous is considered mature then ...............

375+, NEP, william and 2 others like this.
  4. R2112

R2112 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2006
    TX
    IMO, Max has talent and can be quick but all of his "great racing abilities" are always overshadowed by his immature driving. He drives like an spoiled entitled kid. His "race craft" is summed up very easily. He throws his car into the corner and expects everyone to get out of there way. His "brilliant moves" are not his...they're actually the brilliance of the drivers around him that have been able to luckily avoid contact from Max hitting them. It's no secret that nobody on the grid wants to qualify near Max. His fans always are coming up with some excuse to justify his actions or put the blame on someone else. So far....I'm not impressed.

Robb, rmani, NEP and 1 other person like this.
  5. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

That's why I don't think he wil be such a good team leader at Red Bull.
    Some inspiring drives from time to time, but also many incidents will punctuate his season.
    Verstappen will lose points unnecessarlly through bad driving and I don't see him as a strong WDC contender in future.
    He doesn't seem to mature after several years in F1. He reminds me of Gilles Villeneuve; epic moves at times, but too many offs to get a good final result.
    In my opinion, Red Bull took a gamble in favouring him rather than Ricciardo.

6. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    #981 NeuroBeaker, Oct 8, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    He reminds me of Hamilton back from the time he was obsessed with emulating Senna and kept crashing into everyone - especially Massa.

Hamilton seemed to calm down, but it took him a few years and a few penalty points on his superlicense. In my view, the FIA needs to take a similar approach with Max to make him a more consistent racer.

All the best,
    Andrew.

stavura, Phil~, NEP and 3 others like this.
  7. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    It looks like it is already considered a mature drive when he is only involved in two crashes in a race without seeing any mistake on his side...I love it when he said Kimi should have waited for him to come back on track...brilliant, how mature.
    But at least he achieved his yearly goal, having a get together with both Ferrari in one race, I think he never missed that in all those year, did he?

furoni, stavura, jcurry and 1 other person like this.
  8. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    He saw Seb attempting his move and gave him room. Seb still crashed into him. I don't see how you can put that one on Max.

kraftwerk likes this.
  9. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Still, it's strange that he always gets involved in some sort of incident on the track.

It's attacking too hard, or defending too hard.

It doesn't matter who's at fault;they often ruin their race by being at the wrong place.

10. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Eeeemmmm...where in my post do you see that I put that crash on Max??? And no, he did not give him room because I don´t think he even expected Seb to be there...but that does not make it his fault

11. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Max might want to see how LH is winning. Minimal mistakes. He might one day be a WDC, but not at the rate of mistakes he is involved with. He has been in F1 for years now and overall he shows very little real change that stays consistent over time. His season overall has not been one that is clean. No matter how fast the car his in-ability to avoid trouble will not lend itself to a title as he is.
    Yes he is talented and exciting. That is not enough.

william likes this.
  12. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Do you think that Vettel was foolish to try and attempt to take Max in Spoon, knowing the type of driver he is ?

13. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    :D:D

14. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    No, I said it before: he either overtakes Max NOW or he just settles on P3 for the rest of the race. Nothing is won coming home third at this point of the season. So the move was "ambitious" but not foolish....

NEP and jcurry like this.
  15. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I hear you, but beg to differ on that one.
    IMO Spoon was not the place to try an overtake move, especially on the likes of Max. A better opportunity would have presented itself.

16. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Yes, but when? After the Mercedes were gone in the distance? He needed to pass Max as soon as possible IF he wanted to have a chance to attack the silver arrows...And as said before: there is NO safe place to overtake Max, not even with DRS on the straight (as Ricciardo)

NEP likes this.
  17. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Well it was always going to be a big ask trying to get past the Merc's, I thought Max had a 5 sec penalty to serve and Vettel would have known, surely the under cut may have worked he had the pace, besides he came into spoon far too hot to make that pass work far to tight for two cars anyway.
    I wonder if it had been Hamilton, trying that move that you're sentiments would be the same...somehow I doubt it ;)

18. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    So you are constantly accusing me to bring Lewis into play... what is the reason you do now?
    If the rules where reversed and Ferrari was leading with 50 points at this race Lewis could have done whatever he wants from my point of view ;)
    But the coin has two sides: what would have been your take if it was Lewis overtaking 4 cars in the first two-three laps and then trying to take Max? I guess something like "quit the racer" ;)

Edit: undercut...as said by that time the Mercedes would have been gone and the tire advantage of the softer tires in the beginning of the race as well... so the undercut is NO option that would make ANY sense

19. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I can't disagree with that.

tifoso2728 likes this.
  20. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Max is in no rush for a WDC. Time is on his side ;)

He will continue to evolve

21. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Neither can i, that's why i don't rate as high as many others...

22. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    #997 bobzdar, Oct 11, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    see below for better picture.

Attached Files:

23. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    On what planet is this giving him room? This is the moment they touched, you can see the tire smoke. Vettel is on the curb and Verstappen has his tire overlappend and hits him with his barge board. I don't care where it is on track, if the guy behind gets his car alongside, you leave a car width of room. This is not right off the grid into t1, so there is no excuse for not knowing the guy is there. This guy is in f1, if he doesn't have enough situtational awareness to know what the guy behind is doing, he doesn't belong in f1, period.

People need to stop making excuses for this idiot.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

jcurry, stavura, NEP and 3 others like this.
  24. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    100% correct, a driver can have all the talent in the world, if he cannot be trusted inside the race track, if others must think twice before overtaking him because they think he will throw them off the track, then he shouldn't be driving at all. It's the same with Magnussen, the guy clearly has enough talent to be in a good team, but his attitude on track is simply unacceptable.
    I've said it once, Gilles was the hardest driver the world ever saw, yet nobody was afraid of getting into a fight with him...

NEP likes this.
  25. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    [QUOTE="furoni, post: 146247136, member: 105341"

]100% correct, a driver can have all the talent in the world, if he cannot be trusted inside the race track, if others must think twice before overtaking him because they think he will throw them off the track, then he shouldn't be driving at all. .
    .[/QUOTE]

The stewards have been very lenient with him in the past; now Max thinks he can get away with anything.