Dashboard lights | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Dashboard lights

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by C1C7M, Sep 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I once had the same problem after renewing the gas springs but still don´t know why?
    so I disconnected and no problem anymore

2. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Just so I’m not the only one that gets this song stuck in their head every time I see the title......

3. C1C7M

C1C7M Karting

Jun 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Chris
    UPDATE: Checked fuse #13 and it was blown again. This time I disconnected the yellow wire on the passenger rear gas spring as Steve advised before putting in a fresh fuse, and the dash lights are back on. Since the heat shrink tubing didn’t stay on after a couple of drives (half of it shriveled and fell off), I will attempt to adjust the end mount of the passenger rear gas spring with a mallet. Hopefully that will prove to be a more durable and less conspicuous fix.

4. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Let us know … of course :)

5. C1C7M

C1C7M Karting

Jun 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Well, this issue just took an interesting turn…

First of all, unplugging the yellow wire continues to work as a fix for the dash lights. The lights have worked consistently ever since, with lots of testing being performed.

Secondly, the car was recently sent to a local, reputable shop for some minor work when the technician advised that the fuse box is a mess and in need of rebuilding. This came as a surprise because, as mentioned, this car has the Dave Helms fuse box. From what I’ve read about the DH fuse box, the reviews have been very positive. My understanding is that it’s the one to get to remedy all kinds of electrical gremlins common in these cars. That said, what I’m not clear on is whether the technician is not a fan of the DH design per se, or whether this particular installation of it was botched somehow.

And so, my question is, has anyone else experienced issues with their DH fuse box? Before I authorize what will be a time and money consuming repair, it would be helpful to get some useful, firsthand information from others.

Finally, I will note that the dash lights haven’t been the only electrical problems in this car. Various other lights – such as a headlight, a red emergency door light, and both rear hood lights – either work intermittently or not at all (the latter of which didn’t work before unplugging the yellow wire). This fact makes me wonder if the technician is on to something. Thanks in advance.

6. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Can he explain what a "mess means" example

I trust he can do better than that explanation

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

7. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Would love to see pictures or a description of what "a mess" is. I've held off of any fuse box re-build type of kit as I am not necessarily sold on anyone's design just yet. A lot of assumptions of what's bad and how to fix it are being made imo.

8. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    There is a fair bit of cutting/splicing to install the Dave Helms modification so it could be done well or poorly, but the problems you report with the various light functions wouldn't be part of the DH modification. Here's a shot of a DH modification after installation:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Do you have the added six fuse holder as seen on the left side of this picture? Also, other things might have been modified like in this DH modified TR:

The added connection on the w connector on the right side of this photo (I believe) isn't part of the DH modification so wouldn't be unusual to have some other modifications present.

9. C1C7M

C1C7M Karting

Jun 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Chris
    The car is still at the shop, but I found one pic of the fuse box taken weeks ago. It looks to have the fuse holder. Can you tell anything else from it?

Attached Files:

10. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #35 Steve Magnusson, Oct 11, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    No, not really. The shrink tubing splices with the wrap around labels are part of the DH modification. That actually looks pretty decent/tidy. This is what something about "C" looks like IMO:

And I'd have to go "C-" on this one (due to the "Scotch-Loks"):

(I can't seem to find the really scary "F" one I thought that I had saved.)

11. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    I've had the Dave Helms modified fuse box in place on my 512TR for 10+ years and over 35000 miles with NO electrical problems. The modification only takes the high current circuits out of the circuit board and onto external relays. The fuses still work as usual, and the lighting problem you describe would be completely separate from Dave's work.

12. C1C7M

C1C7M Karting

Jun 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks for the comments and pics. It’s sounding like the DH mods are not the problem but rather that the original board itself may need refreshing. I pick the car up tomorrow and hope to get more clarity then.

13. Marc Jackson

Marc Jackson Rookie

Jan 10, 2020
    Cape Cod, Ma
    Full Name:
    Marc Jackson
    Did you ever find the problem with your dash lights and #13 fuse blowing?