epoxy paint garage floor OR plastic tile system?? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

epoxy paint garage floor OR plastic tile system??

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by bocaf430, Oct 26, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I did Wolverine epoxy 6-7 years ago and it’s holding up really well. Did it myself. Pretty easy but a couple errors on my part on the final top coat - rolled too fast in a couple places and bubbles didn’t go away. Went with a solid gray color. Overall very pleased with it.

abstamaria likes this.
  2. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    how did you prep the cement floor? grind it with a machine?

3. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Yes, that’s what I resort to when I drop small, non-ferrous objects.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. Sacedog

Sacedog Rookie

Sep 4, 2016
    Folsom, CA
    I had a Pro do my epoxy floors, and couldn’t be happier with the results. They used a large grinder to grind down the concrete and stem walls. They said to keep the cars off for 48 hours after they completed, but it was a pretty painless install otherwise. It is very easy to clean, using a wet mop with warm water.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

lagunacc, MS250 and colinoz like this.
  5. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    nice garage

6. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Challenge and MS250 like this.
  7. LostAussie

LostAussie Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2013
    Woodinville, WA
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    Damn, that floor is really nice. But why do you have the lift so low to the ground in that photo?

8. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Image Unavailable, Please Login I forget now what we were doing then, Stuart, but it was convenient to have the lift at the low setting at the time. We probably needed to access the top of the motor at the same tone. Having said that, the lift is a special one for home garages, so, at full lift, one can’t stand below. I don’t mind sitting though.

The white floor lights up the underneath considerably.

Andres

jpanz likes this.
  9. LostAussie

Jun 13, 2013
    Woodinville, WA
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    Cheers Andres.

Do you remember the brand names of the materials your guy used for the floor? I'm currently in the design phase of updating my garage with a vaulted ceiling, a 4 post lift and new cabinets and floors, and I'd love it to come out as nice as yours did. Is the floor slippery when it gets wet?

10. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    my epoxy floor gets slippery when wet..be careful ....... they can add something to the top coat so it has more texture...less slippery.... I will be doing that the next time

11. sandreb

sandreb Karting

Feb 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Sander B.
    I used military clear coat with anti-slip additive from armorpoxy. Very effective and not abrasive.

12. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    I’m afraid I live in Manila, Stuart, and the paint was put together by a local supplier. The floor can get slippery when wet (I don’t wash cars in the workshop), so Sandreb’s clear coat might be the solution. (Note that epoxy clear coats over a white base sometimes give a yellow hue.)

13. LostAussie

Jun 13, 2013
    Woodinville, WA
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    Cheers, thanks everyone.

14. Zinger

Zinger Formula 3

Apr 11, 2009
    Leesburg, Va
    Full Name:
    Ryan M
    Challenge, Cgk360 and E60 M5 like this.
  15. Shaun Oriold1

Shaun Oriold1 Karting

Mar 21, 2008
    Burlington, Ontario. Canada
    Full Name:
    shaun
    There is a trade off with how grippy your floor is, and how easy it is to clean. When we do floors, we only add the non-slip additive ( aluminum oxide) when the people are very old and safety is a concern. We're doing a wheelchair ramp currently for someone, where they want the ramp to match the floor, and not use the black grip tape. With the flake, you can leave it more textured, by not scraping it down so aggressively ( or worse, sanding the flake smooth). Many companies do this so the floor is super smooth, but it only benefits the company as they use less topcoat. The topcoat is the expensive chemical. Before getting the non slip stuff put down, get a sample and feel it. or better yet see a floor in person. You might not be happy.

16. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    That's good to know, Shawn.

17. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    I suppose, going back to the original topic of this thread, that the only advantages of a plastic tile floor are that it is easiest to install, requires little surface preparation, and is the cheapest option, compared to epoxy or ceramic tile. It doesn't look good close-up, as noted above. One will spill water and nasty stuff like hydraulic fluid and oil on it, as I did in this photo. How does one get the underneath clean? With much difficulty, as a member also noted above.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
  19. DJP

DJP Karting

Jun 9, 2013
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Agreed. I used the same on my last two garages. Same color as this photo for my first one. Cleans most stains with just water and a broom.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

20. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Looks like a great choice of products, thank you for this, have asked for a sample. I find epoxy dangerously slippery when even a bit of water gets on it, even with grit anti slip additives.

21. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Does anyone have any experience with Epoxy-Coat? I'm thinking of using their "Super Rejection" kit, includes a base coat, 100% flake, clear coat and polyurethane top coat.

22. Shaun Oriold1

Shaun Oriold1 Karting

Mar 21, 2008
    Burlington, Ontario. Canada
    Full Name:
    shaun
    Its a decent product, The success of the final product will depend on the preparation. Grinding the floor will ensure its good. Acid washing isnt.

I also dont know the quantity of material in the kit, but you want to put it down at about 150 Sq Ft/ Gallon. So on a typical 2 car garage ( 400 Sq feet) you'll need 3gallons. Some will go to waste, some will be absorbed in the roller, some will stay in the mixing bucket, so its best to plan material at 135-140/ Sq Ft per gallon. With the flake done to rejection - thats how a flake floor should be in my opinion- makes the top coat get even less coverage. We find that we get about 100-120 Sq feet/ Gallon. I'm happy to offer any advice when you're preparing the floor, or doing the chemical. Its fun and rewarding. but also easy to screw up!

Jaguar36 likes this.
  23. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I’m not a pro, but in the past I had great success with 100% solids epoxy kits from Garage Flooring LLC. Only issue was my coverage was typically less than they stated it would be, so buy extra. For prep I did an acid wash. Entire process took about a week with dry times and coats (acid wash, primer, 2 coats epoxy, 1 coat aliphatic Urethane top coat, 3 days final cure time)

For my present 1000sqft garage I tried the polyurea coating and I much prefer it. Though you need help or have to work really fast to get the flakes down before it dries, I was able to do the garage in 2 days, started on Friday night and parked cars on it Sunday night. A big help was grinding the floor instead of the acid wash which took a few days for the concrete to dry out. The grinding was so easy, rented a walk behind grinder from home depot, attached my shop vac to it and went to town. Floor was prepped in a matter of a couple hours.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat