Ferrari 360 Swiss Army Knife by 360trev! | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 360 Swiss Army Knife by 360trev!

Discussion in '360/430' started by 360trev, Sep 6, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mimmo Blue

Mimmo Blue Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2018
    Stoney Creek, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Dom
    I have been working in electronics engineering for over 30 years. Software and firmware is my total weakness, but if you ever have a need for some hardware and in need of circuit board layout I have been doing that since 1985 for mostly automotive and aerospace related products. Just let me know and I can help.

Sicilianman, imahorse and 360trev like this.
  2. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Nice! Its a very kind gesture... I may take you up on that. I've never worked in the Automotive industry but have worked very closely with both the hardware SoC chip guys and the software guys so can straddle the gap in between quite nicely ;)

Mimmo Blue likes this.
  3. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    These are the complete set of ROM images (from all of the ECU's I've acquired (!) as part of the extensive testing and research I've been conducting, I know completely nuts!). No one man should ever own this many ecu's ;) haha..

However if I can track down every single variant's rom dump it allows me to ensure I test my work across the entire range of ALL 360's ever produced so you get 100% guarentee it works on every car ever produced. As you can see from the list I've already compiled this is no easy feat... I'm missing still a lot of rom's so if you dump yours please get in touch so it can be contributed...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    And just to be clear the variants never officially produced I've now created using my ability to make H-Gate variations too. So yes, I'll actually end up with quite a few more rom's than even Ferrari had because every single rom is capable of being converted to F1 or H-Gate now. Either way. After I have all of the variants i want to do more forensic analysis so that the eventual goal is to allow every earlier cars to benefit from the further development done on the later car rom's. The only things we'll need to understand for this to happen is the configurations regarding what hardware was available in any given (original rom) so they can be transplanted over. So the more variants I get the easier and more accurate this gets...

5. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I have a pair of ECU #173417 that I picked up awhile back. Any idea what's that for?

6. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Hmm cannot find that number... Here's my pile. :) Image Unavailable, Please Login

RANDY6005 likes this.
  7. gobuffs2002

gobuffs2002 Karting

Aug 7, 2010
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    John
    Trev, I have 2002 360 F1 Modena ECU 214041. It was installed as a result of upgrading to a CS race exhaust and reprogrammed by Ferrari for my car. If there is an easy way to dump the ROM, I would be more than willing to send you the ROM code.

8. wbt

wbt Karting

Nov 28, 2014
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    If you post a quick instructional link and s/w for rom dump I can pull mine, year 2000 AU/NZ spec F1. I have a full electronic test bench equipment and a galetto obd device.

9. sierra055

sierra055 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 25, 2016
    Melbourne, AU
    Full Name:
    Marshall
    I'm not sure whether it was posted on this site and I won't link directly to it, but if you search for How to "Bench flash" your Ferrari 360 Ignition ECU's! you will find the instructions. You'll need a good regulated power source and a galetto OBD cable which are cheaply available on eBay

10. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

Trev, about the CS MAF, I understand it has bigger diameter than the Modena, but is the sensor itself the same? I mean, if I can source the outer shell, can I just get the modena sensor into the shell and call it a day?

11. nchhotu

nchhotu Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2007
    Roseville, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Nick
    I want that option Trev! :)

12. Aus360C

Aus360C Rookie

Oct 15, 2016
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Julian Mazzone
    Hi 360Trev,
    very impressive work,
    I have a 360 Challange race car and was wanting to load the CS tune into it as I have replaced the headers and exhaust similar to the GTC system , Does anyone have a CS file I could use ?

13. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    I w
    More on that to come... It would be worth exploring the differences and understanding exactly what they are before embarking on any changes particularly to a Challenge car...

14. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Just did a little but significant update today which allows you now to compare LAMFA tables across different 360's firmwares. LAMFA is the first map typically touched when doing a stage 1 tune and exactly what Ferrari tweaked differently across cars equipped with Sports Exhaust, Challenge Stradale vs the Stock Modena. The factory 360 Challenge race car map is highly revealing when compared against the road cars. They all boast very different maps which are well worth comparing and understanding.

Its very typical in the Bosch ecu's that the maps use conversion factors to allow values stored to be represented in a more efficient compact form than what they actually represent. I've built in the conversion factors in the tool but you can easily see the location in the file -adr option and the raw hex values -hex if your interested.

LAMFA maps rpm across the X-Axis and % of Lambda scaled to 1 on the Y. It displays its values in Lambda where 14.7 AFR equates to a converted value of 1.0. Which in the map itself it stores as 128 to equate to 1.0 and 64 equates to 0.5, 32 would equal 0.25, etc.

To make this even clearer, if you go with a smaller number than 1 your lowering your fuel request below the 14.7 mark which is richer. If the value is over 1 then you risk going too lean as the temperatures in the cylinder will increase (High Exhaust Gas Temps can lead to component damage and knock). Don’t let the above statements fool you about a rich condition, there is such things as too much fuel (too rich) for the amount of air being metered.

Lets compare LAMFA across the range...

Stock 360 Modena / Spider

Factory fit optional Sports Exhaust

Challenge Stradale

Challenge Stradale (Tuned)

360 Challenge (Race Car)

becir1 likes this.
  15. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    As you can probably see here. The LAMFA maps dump more fuel in when the valves open up and ofcourse on the race car they use a LOT more fuel than the road cars (no emissions to pass!)... Also interesting observation is due to the smaller Air Flow Meters on the 360 Challenge race car they dont request as much fuel at peak rev's and 110% torque requst (i.e. max) as the Challenge Stradale does. Obviously if you use my tool to swap the Air Flow Meters on your 360 Challenge you can then dial in at the higher rpm's a bit more fuel. Ideally on a rolling road checking the values with an accurate o2 sensor...

16. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
  17. chnco

chnco Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Allen C
    What are you using to flash?

18. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    #93 360trev, Oct 7, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
    There are so many different tools you can simply take your pick... Its a very old ecu now so very well supported by almost all the tools out there, even if the vast majority don't support checksumming for the Ferrari 360 its no concern, you use my tool to fix checksums before you flash it.

The cheapest $10 cables called a 1260 Galetto (Clone) cables work fine and are availble off Fleabay. So do a plethora of others like Kess V2's, MPPS (some as cheap as $8 shipped)... etc.

All its really using from these cables is their Serial K-Line ISO 9141 transceiver module, to RS232 Serial and optionally a serial to USB FDTI chip (if your pc is modern its likely not going to come with an old serial port anymore!). Most cables use something like an ST L9637D chip with a 510 ohm pull-up resistor tied to the K-line.

You can then use software which supports reading old Bosch ME7.x ecu's which have a Siemens C16x/ST10 chip inside. I've already documented on here before the exact pinout required. I need to search again to find the link but it was posted several years ago but you'll need to use Boot mode since I'm yet to finish my s/w which does the entire thing over OBD (yes it really is possible despite what people say). So you can either directly use Bootmode comms or KWP2000 flashing modes assuming your s/w supports the Ferrari Seedkey routine (which majority dont hence why I added a seedkey patcher into my tool!).

What's bootmode? Its basically a built in mechanism that the C167 microcontroller/processor has designed into it so that they wait for a sequence and then boot up from the code sent over serial rather than what is flashed into them. This allows you to intercept the boot sequence (a bit like booting from a USB pen rather than OS on your boot partition) since the software you downloaded goes straight into memory (not flash) and then your little program can then read the contents of flash (or eeprom) or anything else it wants to do and write it back out over serial k-line which your little program captures and stores into a file. Amazingly these older ECU's had zero in the way of security authentication in their boot sequence whatsoever...

brogenville likes this.
  19. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Now added support for ESKONF (Output stage diagnostics and configuration) and KRKTE (Injector Size Scaling)...

More information on exactly what you can do with this to follow...

20. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Added support for FKKVS (Correction factor fueling system) and when comparing the differences between the Stradale and Modena all is revealled about what's going on here. In summary more fuel enrichment on the CS.

Stock Modena (and Challenge race cars) have this map set as defaults... ;)

360 Modena/360 Challenge FKKVS

Challenge Stradale FKKVS

becir1 likes this.
  21. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    I'm guessing this is starting to go over most people's heads ;)

22. duck.co.za

duck.co.za Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2007
    Cape Town South Afri
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Can't claim to know much about this , but still a fantastic read
    Thank you

360trev likes this.
  23. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    #98 360trev, Oct 11, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    Well Hot off the press, I just added NMAX which allows changing of the digital rev limiter!

Interestingly the stock 360's use 8,600 rpm and the 360 Challenge a dizzy 9,500 rpm!!!!!

Note:* Configurable hysteresis for the hard speed limitation is set at 100rpm hence the factory claim of 8,650rpm (median between actual hard limiter and limit).

nchhotu and MCASEY like this.
  24. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Phew, that's a relief, I was beginning to think people had stopped reading it and I was posting to myself ;)

Evad likes this.
  25. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Same here. Keep up the good work! I want to jump on this, but lack a block of time right now.