When will the F12 reach the bottom of the bell curve? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

When will the F12 reach the bottom of the bell curve?

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by VG221, Sep 22, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Sounds about right, particularly for higher mileage cars. The problem with these cars is they become horrifically expensive to keep running. That's the main reason I sold my Maranello. I was looking at $5,000 to replace the A/C condenser unit. My 1998 stickered for $205k new. First owner drove it for 8,000 miles and sold it for about $190k. Second owner drove it for 800 miles (yes, you read that right) and sold it to me for $115k. I kept it five years, tripped the odometer over 30k miles and sold it for $75k. I must have put at least $20k into the damn thing, probably more. The third owner, who was a collector, put at least another $20k into the car at cost. He sold it at auction four years later for around $85k. All I know about the current status is the current owner has it registered under my name in Montana.

I haven't a clue how many miles are on the car. Let's say over 40k. So how much is a 20-year old Maranello with 40k miles worth today?

Sure, these cars are investments! :confused:

otakki and Caeruleus11 like this.
  2. Adamas

Adamas F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2012
    Out of town
    Full Name:
    Mike

PM me your number- may have a good lead for you

3. My 1st

My 1st Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2017
    Gladwyne, PA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Dag, that’s gorgeous. Congratulations. Rosso Maranello?

4. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Go for it man - I'm 74 and still have 2 Ferraris and 2 other exotics

5. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Ha funny enough ive been getting the itch to daily drive a 550 lately!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

otakki, LARRYH and Texas Forever like this.
  6. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Great car. Probably the best shifter ever. I miss driving mine. I don’t miss throwing dollar bills out the window. But it was s great car.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Patek likes this.
  7. VG221

VG221 Rookie

Sep 20, 2018
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Vito Garofalo
    Is that the Rosso Berlinetta color? It’s gorgeous. Congrats.

8. DaveMc

DaveMc Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2012
    Palm Coast, Florida
    Looks like it is. Mine is the same color. The triple layer paint is a sight to behold. In the garage it looks maroon/burgundy, but in the sun, it looks a lot lighter. Here are the pictures of my car that I previously mentioned to you.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/146052535/

9. DaveMc

DaveMc Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2012
    Palm Coast, Florida
    Hi Scott, I'm in Palm Coast. Where do I find out about FCA events?

I was pretty disappointed about not getting the allocation either, as the dealers in Europe were still able to get them at the time. But I was a few months too late, it seems.

I'm very picky about the specs of the car, so that's why it took so long to find a used one that I liked. Plus the death of my wife, and all that was two years.

This F12 isn't what I would have exactly ordered, but it's close. I had them paint some of the parts I didn't like, so they threw that into the price I paid.

10. VG221

VG221 Rookie

Sep 20, 2018
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Vito Garofalo
    So a 2014 F12 with 5700 miles just sold for $207,900 on the big auction site. That looks like a steal to me. Wondering if anyone on FChat was the buyer. In so.. congrats.

11. DaveMc

DaveMc Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2012
    Palm Coast, Florida
    That is a great deal. What color was it? Buying from a auction site instead of a dealer (that knows all the previous owners and can provide service history) would make me nervous though.

R8 BKK likes this.
  12. VG221

VG221 Rookie

Sep 20, 2018
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Vito Garofalo
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Dude it’s free oil changes for LIFE !!!

timjen88, otakki and 635CSI like this.
  14. DaveMc

DaveMc Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2012
    Palm Coast, Florida
    #39 DaveMc, Oct 1, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    Doesn't matter. After searching for two years for a used F12, along the way, I found one from the Ferrari dealer in Seattle and from the dealer in San Francisco. After reviewing the service records from these two cars, (and starting a thread on this forum about one of them), I ran away from them as fast as I could. I am sure I saved myself a lot of aggravation by not buying them. This current car we are talking about is from a Mitsubishi dealer in Tampa (big red flag) and is a no reserve auction (another red flag).

Here is the thread I started about the Seattle car....make sure to read post #22 and #25 in the thread. The car was clearly abused or the owner didn't know how to drive it.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/145652952/

crinoid likes this.
  15. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander

Texas Forever and timjen88 like this.
  16. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    A safe bet is to stay away from any cars that cannot be CPO'ed by the maker.

timjen88 likes this.
  17. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Shill bidding. I was next bidder. No intent of selling at that price. I spoke to dealer and they dropped price after my education of the market. Now reasonable price. I’m not a RC F12 person.

ScottS

VG221 likes this.
  18. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Also, very sorry about your wife - I have been married 36 years and even thought she is 15 years younger then me, almost lost her with brain bleed and seizures
    this past June plus I've had many close calls myself going all the way back to the 60's - so have fun!!!!

Potenza430 likes this.
  19. Dontbethatguy

Dontbethatguy Karting

Nov 25, 2017
    ATX
    I just posted in another thread this morning discussing the F12 values, and I bought mine a year ago next month. I was more inclined to wait, but the right car came along for me. I am a sucker for red interior, and this car had the right amount of it with the unique NART blue. I think you’ll likely see the bottom or very close to it in terms of value through this winter. Besides going into winter, 812’s are landing pretty fast now. That will drive the F12 to the bottom pretty quick, in my opinion. You will see the bottom of the market in the oldest of the last model, so watch the 2013 and even some 2014’s to get an idea of what they will all ultimately do. I completely agree that life is short, so enjoy it to the fullest. My car stickered for just over $430,000, and I bought it for $270,000 last year with 4000 miles on it. The market has obviously adjusted since then, but that’s not any news. It was four years old at the time and still on its way down. I have zero regrets!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Boomhauer likes this.
  20. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Beautiful f12. Have you posted more pictures ?

You illustrate a constant - well specced high end cars in specific colors ( not just the sea of red) have appeal which pulls buyers off the sideline.

I dare say yours would still pull close to that price now. There are 60 or so f12 for sale now. Winter is coming but well priced and or well optioned cars sell. The 300 plus low mileage late cars with medium/low options sit.

What was your purchase ? Private , Ferrari dealer , other dealer? Did you get cpo?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. Dontbethatguy

Dontbethatguy Karting

Nov 25, 2017
    ATX
    I completely agree. I couldn’t own a Ferrari without all of the carbon options after having one with it. My 458 spider was also a high option car. I wouldn’t consider any cars without upgraded seats (ideally Daytona), full carbon, and the front lift system since I lower my cars. While some of the cars do look good in red, I didn’t want a red on beige car just because it’s expected. I like something a bit different.

I bought my F12 from an independent dealer without extended warranty. I live close to Austin with Moorespeed, and they’re amazing. They’re nearly half price of the dealer, they do amazing work, and they seem to have less turnover in their techs. I’m due for an oil change next month, so I’ll consider the warranty when I’m at the dealer.

22. Dontbethatguy

Dontbethatguy Karting

Nov 25, 2017
    ATX
  23. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Great car. Sorry you did not get to order one and enjoy the first 4K miles!

24. Dontbethatguy

Dontbethatguy Karting

Nov 25, 2017
    ATX
    Quite alright. Those first 4,000 miles cost $160,000, so I’m good with it. LOL

flat_plane_eddie likes this.
  25. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    This is EXACTLY how I did my 2014 F12. Acquired it in July 2017 for $288 including CPO and an original MSRP of $403. Those 200ish miles more than delivery miles saved me around $115. Not bad.