6 Speed Gt Coupe 4200? | FerrariChat

6 Speed Gt Coupe 4200?

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by thecarreaper, Oct 6, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    Hi, any of you have experience with the 4200 series 6 speeds?

They are way cheaper as far as our Georgia ad-velorum taxes (9%) go than the Gran Turismo and buying one would be a great way for me to learn how to tinker on the cars before getting a Gran Turismo.

I have looked (online) at a few Gran Sports but the expensive clutch is an intimidating expense.

Looking to buy something, not tire kick kicking. Thanks for your time.
    (Trying to reset my password on Maserati-Life to look on there as well.)

Texas Forever likes this.
  2. AClark

AClark Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    USA
    FWIW you should be aware that heater cores have been known to fail aa well , which is a significant repair itself.

OEM front struts are hard to come by
    ( read - pricy )

Soild car otherwise , alot of car for the money!

A

thecarreaper and Texas Forever like this.
  3. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    I have a 2004 6-speed coupe and it has been rock solid. Other than the sticky stuff which most (if not all) of these cars suffer it has been completely trouble free. BTW: I also live in Georgia.

Ivan

lineaTesoro and Texas Forever like this.
  4. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Some good advice for you above and you can find more on ************ regarding the common weak points. The window regulators are another, doesn't sound like much but it'll set you back $500-$1,000. I had mine for a year, great looking car, pics don't do it justice. It looks very wide from the rear due to its hips. It gets plenty of attention, especially from the fair sex.

The ride is a bit too all over the place for me but some aftermarket shocks and springs should fix that ($$$). With some aftermarket exhaust stuff they sound amazing (also $$$). This reminds me, the headers can be a potential problem spot due to the pre-cats sometimes failing like they did on 360s (and maybe 430s?). The interior is beautiful but yeah look out for stickies and stretched leather.

The engine presentation is one of the best ever in my opinion. It looks like a piece of art, better than most Ferraris in my opinion. I would just stare it in my garage sometimes since it looked so good! Surprisingly, they're fairly easy to work on and you have plenty of space. Overall I highly recommend it but just keep in mind, even though the car will cost you let's say 20k, repairs will still be pricey. More or less anything you need to do will be $500-$1,000.

The GranSport I don't have any experience with but I like their updated look a lot. I never considered one until I read the threads on here from multiple users who said theirs was very reliable for 20-30k miles. That's surprising to me given the issue the previous Cambiocorsas have but maybe by the time the GranSport was introduced, Maserati's software and hardware updates made a significant improvement. Even then, if you just want to get your toes wet, start with a stick shift.

5. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    Thanks, will do some more looking. I have a friend that owns a shop and I think he is excited I want one as he will get the repair revenue. LOL.

6. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    I just sent you a PM, or please contact me at [email protected]

Ivan

7. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    Sorry been a busy day. I replied to your PM as well. Tomorrow would be a better day to chat as I am off to bed soon as my body clock gets me up at 400am most days.

8. bergxu

bergxu Formula 3

Aug 16, 2005
    OnTheSerpentMound
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Don't discount the GranSport just because of the F1 system, you could physically R&R the clutch yourself, just would need to have the kiss point programmed once the new one is done. Shameless plug here as I have an '05 GS with 11K miles that I'm looking to sell ;)

thecarreaper likes this.
  9. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    Pm me some info ! :)

10. RMDC

RMDC Formula 3

May 15, 2005
    Boston, North Shore
    Hello CarReaper - had my 308GTB for 10 years - 20425 - must have been on the same production line together.

I have a 2003 CambioCorsa Coupe with 17, 800 miles - has been very reliable - buttons starting to get sticky but other than that have only done fluid changes and replaced battery and two front tires. As you know you just have to find a good one. It's a third car so only use it on sunny days.
    In addition to what's been previously mentioned on your thread the Nav and Audio is, I'm guessing, late 90's technology. You will need CDs for just about each state and unless they come with the car you might get the few you need by asking someone on Maserati life to make you a copy.
    The Maserati needs the same OBD as a Ferrari - about $30K - I use a an OBD ll and it gets me close to the the right diagnosis.
    I'm not an Audiophile but those who are give the Maserati very low grades for sound quality.
    I've seen bigger batteries on motorcycles. You'll need a battery tender if you let it sit too long (month).
    Although I like the newer models looks better the coupes and spyders were low production - about 2000 cars a year, plenty of threads on MasertiLife on production numbers. Earlier cars like mine had an Atelier or concierge service for prospective buyers and you could choose what you wanted - close to what you would experience if you were buying a Ferrari. Although they are rare the bad news is that a new Maserati /Alpha Rameo dealership cannot service them - they don't even know how to change the oil on a dry sump and their OBD will only diagnose the newer Quattro, Ghibli models. You are really stuck with a Ferrari dealer or a high end independent for service.
    Feel free to pm me and I'll provide my phone number - glad to provide more info - I'm in the Boston area. Attached a few car pics

Best,
    Rich
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    I still have my early 4200 Spyder GT manual and the only thing that has been required is replacing the clutch pump and fluid changes+battery (clutch pump is under the foot pedal and costs $300.00 and is made in Germany. Early clutch pumps were made defectively in Germany). It runs and sounds great. I did do several modifications including replacing the exhaust behind the secondary cats. Also if you keep it get the FD springs and sway bars and lower the car a little, but not to much. Clutch is original and has a lot of life left in it. It feels new still.

thecarreaper likes this.
  12. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    thecarreaper likes this.
  13. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah

Thank you so much for the link and your experience. I really do appreciate it. Lost internet for a bit with hurricane Michael skirting us but its fixed and I have been looking around.

I have a personal pet peeve against grey interior and have had to pass on two very nice private offers already as both cars suffered from the affliction. :)
    Hoping for a tan interior of some type as I have had a ton of cars with black interior, like almost all of them!

My King Ranch F150 has really groovy saddle leather in it that has spoiled me. :)

Texas Forever likes this.
  14. Jalpa_Mike

Jalpa_Mike F1 Rookie

Apr 2, 2004
    Sequim
    Full Name:
    Michael Wilson
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

I had a 2002 GT Coupe with 6 speed manual. Loved it! Only 1 issue during the 4 years I owned it. A gas line came loose at the tank, fixed by the dealer for no charge (still under warranty). I had no issues with things others have had (heater core, sticky buttons, clutch, etc...). They are so much car for the money IMHO.

The only reason I sold it was to replace it with a Quattroporte and sold the Jalpa also to get the Countach.

Mike

15. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    I agree with you about the ugly grey leather. That auction is still really cheap. I am seriously thinking about bidding on it. Do I really need 2 4200 6 speed Spyders?? At that price hell yes.

thecarreaper and absostone like this.
  16. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    You should PM "thecarnut" that posted above. He has a very, very nice car also he may part with. I just dislike red cars, and gray interiors in general and try to avoid buying cars with either affliction. I have tolerated a few red exotics, but I cant stand gray guts. :(

17. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    I put my coupe for sale and to my surprise it sold in 3 days. I almost did not buy this car 7 years ago since silver with grey interior is not the most interesting color combination; but I am so glad I did since the car was super reliable and provided a great driving experience. It has most of the desirable FD upgrades (a must) and sounds fantastic with the Larini exhaust. After the purchase the driving experience becomes more important than the color combination.

I find myself without a modern Maserati and I'm looking for a 4.7 liter GranTurismo coupe.

Ivan

thecarreaper likes this.