488 Replacement | Page 26 | FerrariChat

488 Replacement

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ajr550, Feb 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. superscoop

superscoop Rookie

Feb 3, 2017
    Poland
    G. Pepper and of2worlds like this.
  2. Dilusha

Dilusha Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    I'd really like to know about "Big brother" performance! Hopefully Mr. Ferr9000 will tell us about that too! :)

3. kevin1244

kevin1244 Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2008
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    KAA
    This is all speculation, of course.
    1) V6 turbos for lower end cars: Portofino (+1), 488 replacement (coupe, spider, LE Pista replacement +3), new SUV in three trims (+3)
    2) V8 hybrid for a class on top of 488 and below Superfast (coupe, spider, LE, +3)
    3) Hybrid for Superfast or continue as is? (coupe +1)
    4) LaFerrari replacement (+1)

Adds up to 12 new models.

4. red passion

red passion Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany
    They say it is their new top of the range model. As the 812 is part of the range that would mean it is positioned above the 812.

5. kevin1244

kevin1244 Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2008
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    KAA
    A hybrid model to meet regulatory standards to satisfy carbon footprint, for Ferrari as a company, they must make more hybrids than it would be logical for a class above Superfast, don't you think so? If above Superfast, the price will automatically make it a very limited production car due to less demand.

6. red passion

red passion Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany
    The question is which powertrain the next 812 will get. The mid-engine car sitting below the 812 would bring it too close to the 488 segment IMO.

7. EmreT

EmreT Karting

Oct 15, 2018
    Full Name:
    Emre
    #632 EmreT, Oct 18, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
    In another topic I said Ferrari should keep on pioneering the market with the new models to come, and the info here makes me excited! Ferrari was, is and will always be different.

Edit: By the way, someone please correct me but this new V8 Hybrid will be the new highest level macchina but not be the LaF successor, right? I think there are still a couple of years for the new successor. And LaF successor should be the best of the best for Ferrari (and for the others I hope) at that time I believe.

8. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    An unveil will happen in March.

G. Pepper and of2worlds like this.
  9. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
  10. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Take on Senna, baby Valkyrie, 1300kg hybrid?....this is going to be expensive....and fast! Sounds like we’re going to have a V8 and a V12 hyper line.

of2worlds likes this.
  11. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    1000hp due to hybrid - no issues - and Aventador AVJ competitor so euro500k + IMO - Market can handle this no problem

theplanner likes this.
  12. 9nb

9nb Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2012
    Is there a reason why Ferrari has not/will not produce a non-limited edition carbon tubbed cars? I'm wondering when we'll see a '488' type Ferrari that will have a carbon tub.

13. manya81

manya81 Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2008
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Maybe the one in the spy shots?

14. Dilusha

Dilusha Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    I think both 488 replacement and its big brother will be faster than the Laferrari. What do you think?:)

15. Dilusha

Dilusha Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    When all these cars come out, that salomondrin guy is gonna regret his decisions. What an idiot! :p

I'll bet you guys anything, by another year, he'll be making new videos on how cool the new Ferraris are, and how desperately he wants to buy them. :p

16. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I would think it might have to do with the upcoming universal aluminum frame that's been described for a while now. Its the one that can do all configurations of mid-front and mid rear engines up to V12 as well as house the batteries for the hybids. Given this is the modular production frame that can do carbon body sections there would be no need to do full carbon below the hypercar product. Indeed the performance of a full carbon car with the turbo V8+hybrid or perhaps V12+ hybrid would be too close to the hypercar at 1/3 the cost and a whole lot easier to get. I assume this setup will persist for a while with all the new models before the switch. This would give the hypercar a chance to maybe even go full electric to hold its higher tier position and mega price. Just my thoughts.

of2worlds likes this.
  17. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    A point being missed is the 1300kg weight target. If 1,000bhp everything increases in weight - braking system, gearbox etc. With a battery and electric motor to add to the ICE how do you get 1,000bhp and 1300kg? I don’t think this car will go that high in power because I don’t think they will dump aluminium body. Even at 8-900bhp 1300kg is a massive ask.

tekaefixe and of2worlds like this.
  18. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet

If the car has a small displacement v6 engine with huge hybridisation front and rear , the 1300 kg weight target is impossible to reach .
    The way I see it is :
    850 horsepowers
    1650 kg with fluids

19. XTP

XTP Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2005
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Xander
    Hello,

I've a quistion about this video.
    What is the car between 1.49 and 1.57.

Looks like a mule of a TdF but why?
    We have al ready the 812

Gr.
    Xander

20. maha

maha F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2014
    dinajpur, bangladesh
    Full Name:
    mahmud
  21. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Let us not forget that the BMW i8 with carbon frame 3 cyl motor and many sacrifices to weight saving was 1500 kg so genuine 1650 kg has to be more realistic as noted above

22. cesman

cesman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2008
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Craig
    LaF weighs 1,255kg dry I believe so 1,300 is probably fantasy for the new car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet

Real Life weight for Laferrari is very close to 1600 kgs

day355 likes this.
  24. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    Agree. The trouble is I doubt LaFerrari weighs 1255kg dry. Those who have weighed the car with a full tank and no driver came out at 1580kg. No way there are 325kg of fluids . More likely LaF weighs at least 100kg more dry, so 1350+ kg. Which makes 1300kg without a carbon tub hard work though a V8 turbo instead of V12 should help.

of2worlds likes this.
  25. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    You cannot mess around with weight declarations - very heavily regulated by homologation rules. However, the options can make a huge difference and what I don’t know is what effect the hybrid systems have on the rules. Dry weight is likely correct but maybe not commonly spec’d.

Also, if they target 1,300kg they will almost certainly reach it - no manufacturer’s engineers tend to set internal targets they can’t reach. Not good for their career path.... Certainly not if you miss it by 350kg!

Two possibilities; the article is wrong or they are doing something very clever with this car. For example a different sort of hybrid system or battery - solid state maybe? If they have managed that I’ll be amazed but it would sort the weight target out and be truly ground-breaking. Add all carbon outer shell and keep the power to 850bhp and 1300kg is just possible. You then have a match for Senna. Seems unlikely though.

of2worlds likes this.