488 Replacement | Page 27 | FerrariChat

488 Replacement

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ajr550, Feb 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    Is dry weight homologated? I know EU kerb weight on the other is, in Europe.

2. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Technically you are correct, kerb weight, GVW and train weight are homologated. However, you can trace back to dry weight, compare various similar vehicles and get an idea how accurate claimed dry weight is based on the highly-accurate homologated figures.

For example, I believe 488 homologated weight is 1475kg, 720 is 1419kg. One of the German magazines measured 1644kg for the Ferrari with 90% fuel load and driver plus 75kg and measured the Mac at 1526kg. So the Ferrari was around 60kg bigger difference but I don’t know exactly what options were on each car and neither was at it’s claimed weight. The Ferrari also has a much bigger fuel tank so 90% load gives the Ferrari more fuel load.

Knowing how engineers work they will have signed off an official homologated weight and found a way to declare a minimum but still ‘technically’ accurate dry weight. In reality no one should compare dry weight because it is something of an irrelevance - you can’t drive it like that - though does eradicate weight differences due to fuel tank size. I don’t believe the weights are lies though. Just not the full truth either.

of2worlds likes this.
  3. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Dry weight means nothing as you take out what you want (battery, fluids, A/C, tires, tools, manuals and so on): there is no rulement to know what a declared dry weight includes, so you can just compare two kerb weight od DIN weight, as there are precise rules to follow for KERB and DIN.

New Ferrari will weight more than the old ones due to the hybrid system

ciao

day355 likes this.
  4. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Same here

5. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    The V8tt hYBRID will be great move by Ferrari It's really a much needed segment
    McLaren proved it by selling 720's well into the 400k plus zone - Ferrari can eclipse that quite easily

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  6. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    MID-ENGINED FERRARI HYBRID SUPERCAR SPIED TESTING AT FIORANO
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Angelo Uccello posted in SPEED MACHINES
    COMMENTS (8)
    REPOST
    BUMPS(47)

Credit: TheSupercarBlog

Ferrari’s recent supercar announcement opposed the popular belief of the rumours. For it was thought that Ferrari’s next supercar would revive the classic “Dino” name, use a Twin-Turbo V6, and compete against the McLaren 570S. What Ferrari has stated however is that they’re currently developing a brand new supercar to sit ABOVE the 488, rather than a Dino which would occupy the lower ground. God love ‘em!

While prototypes have been pounding around Fiorano for a while, it’s only recently that the car has been spied wearing what might just be its production body. Yes, it may still be hiding under a layer of camouflage - but a number of interesting details are still visible.

For a start, the headlights, which are completely different to those found on a 488. Then at the rear, there’s twin exhausts, and a spoiler flowing from one arch to another. Most intriguingly of all however is the yellow triangular emblem on the camouflaged coat, which appears to resemble something denoting electricity. Could this supercar use hybrid technology? I’d say it’s more than likely.

We can only presume that if hybrid motors feature, they’ll be augmenting the power of Ferrari’s 3.9L Twin-Turbo V8. Guessing the power and torque at this stage would be to play a pointless game. What we can say however is that Ferrari will debut the car to its VIPs in December, and unveil it to the public at the 2019 Geneva motor show.

But what do you guys think about this prototype? Do you think it’ll be a hybrid V8, or something else? Let me know in the comments.

For more content like this, including the latest performance car news and topical blogs posted DAILY, be sure to join my tribe Speed Machines.

7. cesman

cesman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2008
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Craig
    +1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Well, manufacturers say that dry weight is a car/bike in running condition, sans all fluids.

9. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    3.0 lt single turbo V6 120° Hybrid 4WD. Combined power: 850+ Hp

Those are rumors since a long time

ciao

Thelovelyrock18 and of2worlds like this.
  10. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    that's a joke, isn't it?

11. arhimede

arhimede Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2007
    Hey guys!

I haven't write here for a wille...

Some aspects about this car:

- the mid engine v8 going up in value, and in performances because:1.portofino performances went up and prices up;
    2.Uracan Performante is very fast, 720s is crazy fast! So you cand play the same "berlineta"/gentleman/beautyful lines classic recepy;

Also ..3.emissions, but I really dont care about that...but it had to be hybrid

About the spy shots.....
    -cockpit looking bubly, and A-pillars kind of curvy, so I hope it has carbon chassis! Also theres no window after the b pillar so it may be a Laferrari cockpit.
    -huge side scoops
    -nose really low
    -hwadlights are flattened and wide
    -hope it has cavalino rampante under the nose just like 458!
    -hood vents
    -saide scoops in the front of the rear wheel
    -no one-piece window cover but kind of...lambo diablo style
    -hope it has movable spoiler back, but no sign of it in pictures/video

Probably >850hp. Some 750 from petrol engine and >100 electric
    Probably over 1550kg
    Probably 450-500k €

If I got time I will do a sketch these days

Caeruleus11, fil, Shack and 2 others like this.
  12. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    If you are right , this engine will be something special because price will be high !
    I would prefer a v8TT..

13. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    I am not renowned for my humour, mate.

14. 9nb

9nb Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2012
    I really hope some of the understated and simple beauty of the Monza SP1/2 will be in the new design but then again these cars are meant to sell well and most people like to turn heads with shocking or polarizing cars.

ScottS likes this.
  15. veilstylez

veilstylez Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2005
    SoCal
    So who here went to the last private for the Pista before the Geneva show? My Ferrari dealer said that there was a private viewing early this year I think dec2016/maybe Jan2017 for the Pista before they announced it at Geneva, (this viewing was on screen and not of the actual car). ....anyone here go?....if so did they not allow cameras or allow anyone to talk about it after until Geneva? ...is it super secret? I know there was a viewing of the Pista before Geneva and no one knew it was called a Pista until Geneva...everyone kept calling it the new GTO. So this Private viewing thats "taking place" in December anything like the Pista viewing?
    I mean 2019 Geneva is not untill March and VIPs get to see this in a "viewing" in December but we don't hear about it till Geneva. ....or id not know maybe I'm wrong.

16. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Typically the arranged previews for cars unveiled at Geneva have been in February - in Maranello for the 488 GTB and at the dealers for the Pista. These events are for invited customers, but I guess a few "real" VIP have presentations before.
    The "private" events (for the so-called selected customers, I was at the GTB and Pista presentations btw) are attended by several hundreds people so there are always leaks just afterwards; for this reason the first official information is disclosed by Ferrari at about the same time, and it's only a few weeks before the public show.
    The past is not a guarantee for the future though, they may elect to do differently next time.

Caeruleus11 and veilstylez like this.
  17. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    The Monza is a tribute to an old car, without any particular performance requirements. These new cars will need to have modern aerodynamics in order to achieve their performance targets and dynamic behaviour at high speeds.

18. 9nb

9nb Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2012
    I get that, but there has to be a way to integrate beautiful/classical and more sculpted design into a car that meets all the performance requirements. An extreme example is the difference between the AM Valkyrie and the McLaren Senna, while both offer insane levels of performance and downforce, the Valkyrie is arguably more beautiful. (Again I understand that it is an extreme example and not directly applicable to the 488 segment).

Perhaps a sub-topic but how concerned should Ferrari be with Aston Martin poaching key employees and creating a 488/720S rival?

19. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    850hp seems like a V-8 Hybrid rather than a V-6 Hybrid but I prefered to proven wrong :p

20. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    I see where you are coming from, but at the end of the day beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The Valkyrie is sensual in my eyes (the Senna is absolutely dreadful), but the ingress-egress in the Aston is laughable. All this is due to that high floor that is needed in order to make the under-body aero work, without a huge wing or other addenda on top of the car.

stavura and 9nb like this.
  21. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Thanks for all the interesting details.
    Even though the new model is above the regular 488, 450-500K € for a production car seems a lot to me. These new levels have made me realise how poor I am :)

22. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    rumors tell that Ferrari 3.0 V6T prototype actually develops 750 hp. Just with the combustion engine, of course

ciao

Thelovelyrock18 likes this.
  23. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    For sure it may be bench tested to 750hp - But Big question is what will they deliver in a production car with a warranty ?

24. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    to be honest, the figure rumored is 770. Very likely the production unit will have no less than 680-700 hp. Means 230 hp per liter. Mercedes is at 195 hp per liter with a compact everyday use car since three or four years: Why Ferrari can't give a warranty at 230 hp per liter next year?

ciao

F2003-GA likes this.
  25. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet