Thinking of buying a first gen. Murcielago | FerrariChat

Thinking of buying a first gen. Murcielago

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by rumen1, Sep 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    I never owned a Lambo, but last several months I started to strongly consider a Murcielago LP-580. I prefer that one, because I want it to be with a manual transmission and the 580s are much easier to find with a stick than the 640s and of course the prices are much lower.

However, on all reviews and forums everyone is talking about the LP-640 as the only Murcielago, almost like the first gen. never existed. Why do people prefer the latest model? Is it only because of the power and performance or the first gen has some technical issues, that have been resolved in the 640?

How reliable is the first gen Murcielago overall?

Boomhauer likes this.
  2. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    The first generation Murci is often referred to as "Pre-LP". I've owned two of early Murci's and currently own an LP (all gated) and they are great cars. I think that the difference of the pre-LP and LP are exaggerated by many opinions, the cars are different, but they aren't that different. I think the biggest difference is from an early Murci to an '05/06, but between the '05/06 and LP is the power. LP is significantly faster, much more than the stated 60hp gain suggests. Lambo/Audi cleaned up the chassis for the LP, but there are no major differences. Every year there have been egear revisions, so the egear Murci became better to drive with every year. LamboPower has a lot of Murci info.

2002/2003 ("early Murci"): claimed to have the most power of the pre-LP; underpowered 4piston/4piston brakes; Speedline wheels; adjustable Koni suspension (most comfortable Murci); all manual; Magneti Marelli ignition coils are prone to failure
    2004: egear as optioned, first year of VW ignition coils, updated pedals on egear, VW key
    2005: 8piston/4piston steel brakes standard & 6piston/6piston CCB optional; adjustable suspension gone; Hercules wheels introduced; valved exhaust tip; roadster introduced; new pedals on manual
    2006: Hermera wheels introduced as option
    2007: LP640 introduced
    2008: Reventon
    2009: Bosch throttle bodies; updated window switches
    2010: LP670/LP650, handful of LP640 roadsters

If you're looking for long term value on a pre-LP, 2005/2006 manual are expected to be more collectible since they have a lower manual production than the prior years and basically have the upgraded brakes & suspension of the LP. With a manual, I assume any newly purchased Murci will need a clutch when buying because a lot of sellers have lied about clutch life in the past, the LONGEST life I've gotten out of a clutch after buying a Murci was 14 months, shortest was 3.

I've bought well maintained Murci's and poorly maintained Murci's. The poorly maintained car (cheap) was a nightmare to own and I didn't keep it long. The other two were taken good care of and both have been wonderful to own. I've done cross-country road trips, driven in snow, stuck in death valley, road rallies, etc and not had problems. All my cars have been converted to 2WD and exhaust modifications, which really clean up the driving experience.

3. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    Very informative, thanks! Lot of things, that I didn't know. For sure I will be looking for the cheapest model, which will probably be, as you say - the 03 model. I just want to own a V12 lambo once in my life and I didn't plan to drive it very hard, to be honest, I mainly want to own it, just so I can know I own it :) I have a 458, that I am using for the flat out drives. So in that case I don't really care about the weak brakes and the less power. The manual transmission is the only thing, that I do care about.

of2worlds and Boomhauer like this.
  4. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I love the early Murcielago, I think it looks better than the LP640. Early Murci, dark grey Hercules wheels is a winner in my book. Not the LP640 lights, either.

If only it came with the supersweet 6.5 LP640 engine:D:D:D

mt_jt likes this.
  5. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I love my Murcielago, and have not met an Lp640 that was faster yet. The car has also been rock solid reliable for the last 5 years. I personally prefer the front and sideskirts of the early 580 to the Lp640, but like the back of the lp640 better. I would never buy a Murcielago in an egear.

Bas likes this.
  6. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I really want a manual 580 at the moment. Make it RWD, different seats (height issue for me), lighter exhaust, maybe slightly shorter gearing to make it really come alive.

7. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    They are great cars.

Bas likes this.
  8. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    We could always change that. :p

9. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    You can try :)

10. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i am looking at a 2006 murci.
    but the build sheet says it was made in 2005. its an egear.

i drove one of these way back in 2002, but not since.
    can anybody give me some comparison to cars i am familiar with like the 430, or the 512tr?

11. goldlifter

goldlifter Karting

Aug 8, 2015
    I currently have a 2005 F430 f1 and a 2008 LP640 egear. They are COMPLETELY different experiences driving as the F430 is more nimble and "tossable" but the LP640 is more powerful and stable. I still think the LP640 is the best sounding and most aesthetically pleasing Lamborghini ever but I'm obviously biased. I absolutely love the Egear in the LP640, i had driven a PreLP Murci and prefer the looks and driving experience of the LP640 but YMMV.....those egear downshifts bring a smile to my face no other car has

ross likes this.
  12. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    thanks for that ^

13. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    My advice is dont buy an Egear

14. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
  15. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i may have no choice.
    but, i believe the egear in the murci (pre lp640) is the same generation of magnetti marelli thats in the 430.....so how is it any different?

16. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    The shifting is terrible, and whats worse is the cost to fix it.

Michael Call likes this.
  17. Ciro Izzo

Ciro Izzo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2005
    A manually shifted Murci is the way to go. Extremely easy and fun to drive(add aftermarket exhaust) . In this case you would getting the benefit of many years of perfecting the manual unit. The Egear is primitive in this case as well.

Michael Call and PineChris like this.
  18. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    ok. i understand you may not like the egear, but the question remains, if it is the same unit as installed in the 430, then i am used to that, and can live with it.
    so how different can it be??

19. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I hate the pause between shifts, the clutch pickup off the line, and the general feel. Not a fan of the 430, but if I was to buy one, Id buy a manual as well.

Michael Call likes this.
  20. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    thanks for that.
    the 430 sometimes hesitates off the line, but there is no pause between shifts on the fly. maybe they are not the same units?

anybody else have impressions of the 2006 e-gear?

21. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    There is a pause between shifts in the 430 as well. Recently drove a 599 and it was horrific as well.

22. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    ah ok. now i understand where you are coming from.
    there is a slight pause in the 430, as compared to a 458, but since i had the 360CS, the 430 seems smooth to me.
    now i believe i can live with the murci egear.

one issue that seems to come up very often though is that the egear clutch doesnt last very long. am reading anywhere between 7 and 12k miles. my 360cs clutch did not need changing in the 20k+ miles i had it, and my 430 does not need a new clutch in the 20k miles i have on it.
    what is it about the murci that kills the clutch so fast? the weight? the drivers?

to elaborate, i do not play around with lifting off the accelerator when upshifting, i do not use the gearbox to slow the car - if i am coming to a stoplight i just use the brake and the system downshifts itself; if i am coming onto a turn, i slow down before i change down gears, then do the change manually. i hardly ever reverse, i hardly ever try to edge around in 1st gear - i just park straight in. so maybe it is just my driving style that is easier on clutches?

23. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    There is huge difference between the 430 and 458. The 458 is a dual clutch, the 430 is not. The F1 in the 430 is certainly better than the 360 though. How long the clutch lasts on the Murci is vastly dependent on how you drive, but also on how its setup. Many are setup to slip far too much off the line.

24. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    thanks. yes i know the difference, hence the example.
    when you say the clutch life on a murci is dependent on how it is set up, what do you mean? is there some programming into how much clutch slip there is?? never heard of that.

25. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Yes there is.