mid engine corvette qtr panels leaked photo | Page 56 | FerrariChat

mid engine corvette qtr panels leaked photo

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by darkkaangel, Jul 30, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    ZR1. Sorry.

2. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Agreed the Zr1 is the last of the real Mohecan's as far as raw he man supercars goes. Its also the ultimate and last of the Fe vette. As a car to drive a few k miles and then pit away to appreciate its a no brainer, depeding on how much time you have to wait..

3. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    It would be damn hard, for me, at least, to leave a zr1 in the garage. I bought my Stingray new in early '14 and I've already put almost 35k miles on it.

4. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    #1380 JV's89, Nov 6, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    rdefabri likes this.
  5. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Wake me when there are real pix. January? I could use the rest. :)

6. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
  7. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    I believe the comment in the article about being able to buy a 2017 570S with low miles and remaining warranty for less $$$ will be a huge obstacle for a new C8 to overcome.

8. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    If the C8 costs $170k, it would be an epic failure in every way. I don't believe the rumor.

G. Pepper likes this.
  9. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    I personally believe there will be a number of price points for the car. The ‘entry level’ will be sub 100K, but the top of the line widebody, ultra HP will be +100K. By how much is at this point pure speculation.

10. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    pricing formula is simple -

base model needs to offer 911 performance at cayman price and that means sub 100k.
    top of line needs offer ferrari performance at 911 price and thats sub 200k.

LARRYH, sigar and crinoid like this.
  11. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    I think even those numbers are high. Look at the ZR1. It tops out at about $135K, and they barely sell any of them. Corvette is a volume sports car. They need to move 35,000-45,000 cars. To do that, the price needs to be comparable to where it is now.

12. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    front engine is still for volume. mid engine a niche up in price and exclusivity

LARRYH and crinoid like this.
  13. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I still think they'll have at least three levels. The $160K guesstimate would probably be for the top of the line Nurburgring winner.

boxerman and crinoid like this.
  14. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    My money is on the front engine car dying. I don't see them producing both.

rdefabri, G. Pepper and of2worlds like this.
  15. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    rdefabri, TheMayor and jm2 like this.
  16. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    ive said it several times, if they get rid of the FE model it will be a massive mistake. People want tradition

italiafan and G. Pepper like this.
  17. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    Here's my bold (or stupid more likely) scenario....

The ME becomes THE Corvette sports car, with all performance variants (Z06/ZR1/GS) following.
    The C7 is re-bodied as a true GT with ALL the luxury stuff and moves upmarket a bit in a couple of years (a poor man's 812/DB11 if you will), after the ME is established.

Please hold your laughter to an acceptable level. BTW, I have ZERO knowledge of any of the above, just slinging it out there

18. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    That's what used cars are for. :)

19. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Like others here I think there will be various tiers of Vette. Let’s not forget it was unthinkable 10 years ago that a +100k let alone a 125k+ Vette would sell, but now it’s been proven more than once.

If a c7 can stretch from 60k-125k a me car can stretch from 79-150k.

We already sort of know that the base me car is still going to run the classic sbc so there’s no reason it should t be a 70 odd k car. We also here of a 800-1000hp Vette so we can conceive of a 169 k Vette easily. The question for many of us is what comes in between those two prices.

I think we’ll see the 169+k me betteThe formula so far with the c6 and 7 is to essentially price your base 60k car at double when you increase hp by 80%. Buyers tend to overlook the otherwise relatively cheap car when the “performance/hp” numbers go so high.

As to the fe car I agree with JimmyB, it will become more of a gt car for a price, and will probably add a lot of volume.

Theres simply no reason why with similar architecture the fe and me cars can’t share the same production line and keep overall Vette sales in the 30+k range in terms of units.
    Scrapping the fe sbc Vette altogether would be like Harley scrapping a air cooled vtwin cruiser.

G. Pepper likes this.
  20. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Which is why Ferrari still makes front engine V12 cars for it's flagships. The V12 mid engine "super cars" like LaFerrari and Enzo are not for the typical Ferrari owner.

G. Pepper likes this.
  21. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    These day, I think they are. The typical new Ferrari owners I see are more concerned with their car being defiled by a single drop of rain than actually enjoying them. Those are the people who by the limited edition mid-engine V12s.

boxerman likes this.
  22. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    And Harleys (which I love, but just saying)

23. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #1400 TheMayor, Nov 11, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
    Someone dumped this on the Vette forum --- not sure how true it but it does make some sort of sense. I've said for a while Corvette should be it's own brand separated from Chevy. If the price of the new ME starts at 77K, that's pretty impressive. Also --claims a manual version?

And a new lower cost FE coming on a new Camaro frame with manual gearbox option? Interesting....

Hello everyone,

I have a lot of information about the C8 Corvette and a lot of other stuff that pertains to it. I'm not going to reveal where I got the information from, and if this turns into another flame thread, or goes off topic, I will just tell the moderators to lock or delete it.

With that being said, here we go. This is perhaps the biggest piece of info I have for you: Corvette is splitting off into its own brand in the next few years, which I think is a great idea. Think about it: nobody says "Chevrolet Corvette" or "Chevy Corvette", they say "Corvette". This will alllow the Corvette to move further up market and allow several models in it's product portfolio. There will also be a Corvette SUV within the next 5 years. Think Porsche, but as really premium Chevrolet (I'm not talking about Cadillac lol, we'll get to that later!).

Next up. The C8 is not a mid engine car! What's that car driving around then? That's the new 2020 Corvette Zora Stingray. (GM will begin breaking off Corvette from Chevy with this model, which makes it even more revolutionary than it already is. They are also starting it out as a base car with the traditional Corvette trim structure (Stingray, GS, Z06, ZR1), those trim levels will also be present on future models in the Corvette lineup such as the SUV). The new Zora Stingray will start at about $77K. It will be revealed at the 2019 NY Auto Show in March. The car will start production on June 30, 2019. This is a historic date because the first C1 Corvettes began rolling off the line on June 30, 1953. Also GM does not want to string along buyers for a long time due to this being a global car and they want to attract a more upper class clientele, hence the short time between reveal and production. This is why the plant has not been open to tours for a while and tours are still suspended indefinitely. The Zora Stingray will be available with a 7 speed dual clutch Tremec transmission. The Coupe will be fixed roof and the convertible will be dubbed Spider, nodding to high end convertible Euro supercars. The Spider will be a folding hardtop. The Zora will come standard with a manual transmission. This car will be truly revolutionary and I assure you it is gorgeous in person. I have not only seen it but was taken for a short drive in one. The car is absolutely fantastic. The Zora Stingray will have an over 500HP LT1. A Zora Z06 will follow as a 2021 model with over 700HP.

The moment you might have been waiting for... what is then C8 then? The C8 is going to be a 2022 model FE car. It will ride on the Alpha II platform of the 7th gen Camaro. It will share only the chassis, so don't worry, it will retain its fiberglass body and will look nothing like the Camaro. GM is entering a new age of parts sharing, so the C8 Corvette, 7th Gen Camaro as well as other cars will share the new Alpha II platform. The ME Corvette Zora, C8 FE Corvette, 7th gen Camaro, and the future Corvette SUV will share interior parts, engines and some other mechanical bits. The C8 Corvette will cater to the diehard Corvette fans, those that don't want an ME Corvette, those that want a FE car, and those that can't afford the Corvette Zora. It will retain the classic Corvette way. The Zora will cater to those that want an ME car, higher level clientele that want an ME car to drive in the elements while the Ferrari stays at home, and many other types of people. The Zora will also pay tribute to Zora Duntov, the father of the Corvette and who wanted the Corvette to go ME a long time ago. The C8 Corvette will retain traditional Corvette ethos. It will start about about $57K, be standard with a manual transmission, be available with a version of the Zora DCT and the convertible will be the traditional rag top. It will be a 2022 mode year car, which is why you dont see it testing yet. GM doesn't want you to know it exists, and wants all the hype on the ME Zora. It will begin real world testing soon after the Zora Stingray reveal.

Now for the Cadillac part. The reason you saw the key fob recently leaked is because there will be a ME Cadillac flagship car based on the Corvette Zora and it will begin real world testing out in public in a few months. They will look nothing alike, and have very different interiors. The Cadillac ME will be a 2022 car, be folding hardtop convertible only and will have the Zora Z06 engine and DCT only.

All 3 of these cars will be built in the now massive recently renovated
    Corvette plant in Bowling Green Kentucky. There will be 2 production lines, the Zora and C8 FE built on one line and the Cadillac ME built on the other. The Cadillac ME will start at about $98K.

anunakki, G. Pepper, Phil~ and 2 others like this.