1/12 models (Tamiya/Kyosho/Autoart) | Page 43 | FerrariChat

1/12 models (Tamiya/Kyosho/Autoart)

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by mattymouse33, Apr 24, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Yes, that is just what I have to say! Well a bit more too.....
    I agree that overall overall it is decent, especially for the really low price. I'll still wait for the GP Replicas to see if theirs is any better. As a side note about CMR.....The big GT40 I have from them looks nice, but it has some serious front end shape problems. It was cheap enough, but I would rather pay more for a more accurate model. Oh well.....

2. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    MFH with no doubt..

3. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Dino246gt, NürScud and Christian.Fr like this.
  4. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    +1

......and this could have been so much better. Just too many mistakes that could have been easily avoided if they cared.....or actually knew any better.

Christian.Fr likes this.
  5. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    By the way, does that car look black?? Wrong color and wrong roundels!!! Idiots.

6. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Oh wait, that SWB is right hand drive. Boy are they idiots.

Lusso123 likes this.
  7. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Rob Walker's car wasn't black?

8. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Yes they really are idiots, and have shown over and over again, that they are too lazy to do any research, or put any really effort in, but not too lazy to accept anyone's money!

9. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    I really don't understand the thinking behind this. The shape is wrong. The colour is wrong. Really basic stuff. Yet there are some nice bits. The engine detail looks good, for example. I can accept some mistakes, some details being not quite right but when the basics are wrong there's no way I'd waste my money and surely that will put a lot of other potential customers off too, won't it? The colour is just plain daft. I can't even see that is laziness. I mean having it blue rather than black surely doesn't take any more effort and there are plenty of colour photos around even if access to either of the original cars (no idea which of the two this is supposed to be) was too hard or too expensive or whatever.

10. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I've never seen the car in person, but in all the photos and videos that I've seen of it, it certainly looks black to me.

11. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    All Rob Walker's racing cars, including the two SWBs were dark blue. As an aside, a couple of weeks ago, the town of Dorking (south of London) where Rob Walker had his garage had a little celebration where both SWBs were present. Unfortunately I couldn't attend but some pictures are here: http://www.autoaddicts.co.uk/rob_walker/

12. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Great photos. To me his GP cars always did look dark blue to me, but the SWBs (and I didn't know that there were two of them) looked black. Thanks for the clarification. P.S. I did have the pleasure of meeting the man, at the '75 U.S. Grand Prix at Watkins Glen, where he was covering the race for "Road & Track".

13. Christian.Fr

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    It s a new marketing strategy...
    As stamps error the value is strong.

Thanks for pictures and comments, always nice to have an advice

14. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Ha... I like that Christian! If only it would work like it does for stamps and coins, but no such luck with models that have errors. Oh well.

Christian.Fr likes this.
  15. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Yes, it's absolutely dumbfounding how they manage to screw up so badly. I researched this exact car for one of my own limited edition model production runs we made many years ago.... before the internet existed, and when I knew fewer people, and had less sources, and I was still able to get it right. These jokers at Top Marques have no excuse.

There are serious problems with almost every vintage Ferrari they produce. The only two exceptions to this are with their Dino 246 GT and GTS, and 250 GT Lusso. And those two still have some issues, but nothing major, and they are worth having, while the rest of their Ferrari's are oversized inaccurate toys.

16. Christian.Fr

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    It reminds me a small story
    This year in Spain we get a stamp with a error, the drawing was representing a cathedral which error was the name of the city indicated... In one day all stamp ( a small production) was sold.

Lusso123 likes this.
  17. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    furmano and Christian.Fr like this.
  18. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    I guess they are bound to make a few decent ones from time to time, given how many models they are doing!!

Lusso123 and Christian.Fr like this.
  19. Christian.Fr

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
  20. David C

David C Karting

Jul 29, 2014
    Makes no sense to me why they would do this when Spark has already done it; they are still plentiful on the Internet. I wish these manufacturers would spend a little extra and make the window trims out of injected molded plastic instead of flat photoetched pieces.

Christian.Fr and Lusso123 like this.
  21. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    I agree - the duplication makes no sense at all.
    But they finally seem to have made another vintage car decently, with the exception of once again.... some incorrect details. It's a bit better than the Spark model, which I have been working with to make a model of for one of my friends/customers of his car. TM are also making these 904 models in red, which is at least different than what Spark made, but I would still have preferred to see a good model of a vintage Porsche that no one has made yet.

Christian.Fr likes this.
  22. Christian.Fr

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    Personally it does no matter me to have a market that offers 2/3 identical models. Of course, the models proposed must be different in terms of price and quality.

I imagine that each of us must feel the same way by buying a model in relation to its means.

23. David C

David C Karting

Jul 29, 2014
    Perhaps you are right Christian; but my preference is to have a few high quality pieces than a bunch of mediocre models. Clearly the 'budget' offerings in this scale are in the majority.

Lusso123 and Christian.Fr like this.
  24. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    +1.

I feel the same way as David, which is why I don't buy many models these days, especially most of the 1:12th offerings..... and that is my preferred scale. I've always been of the mindset of buying quality, not quantity. Once in great while now I'll buy a 1:43rd, and some (very few) 1:18 pieces, but those are the better more accurate ones. Much of what I see these days from the majority (98%) of the model manufacturers is a disappointment.

Christian.Fr likes this.