F1 Vs. 6 Speed Manual | Page 4 | FerrariChat

F1 Vs. 6 Speed Manual

Discussion in '348/355' started by Laserman, Oct 26, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. redwedge

redwedge Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Steve C
    If you get up early enough, you can spank your car even in my overcrowded corner of south-east England. And if you head over to Italy (a day's drive, granted most of it will be quite dull, but there are some fantastic mountain passes on the way), it's not unknown for the police to actually instruct you to drive the car hard!

2. Klas

Klas Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2014
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Klas Nilsson
    The interior looks a lot more classic and Ferrari genuine with the caractheristic gated shifter with the chromed ball stick. Go for manual!

3. jgriff

jgriff Formula 3

Jun 16, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I’ve owned both so here is my opinion. F1 if you intend it as a track car and care about how fast is. If it’s a street car get the manual.

F1 can be frustrating when parking and in traffic but is fantastic when you are driving near the limit.

phrogs likes this.
  4. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Not really. A little history on the dual clutch transmission.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual-clutch_transmission

5. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Please. Ford Fiesta? Obviously we are talking about Ferrari technology and how the F1 system, first adopted on the 355, was a game changer, not just for Ferrari, but ultimately for all high-end sports car brands.

6. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I gotta have a manual in my V8's. For V12's, especially 2+2's, I'd rather have paddles with an auto option.

7. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    For me the F1 system on the 355 was not very good, it was an early stage system in spite of being state-of-the art for the time.
    It probably shifts slightly faster than a manually operated gearbox but for an automated system it's not really impressive, and besides, the 355 is now an old (an slow by modern standards) car, so that the increase of performance is not meaningful.
    The F1 system was then gradually improved and at the end (on the F430 and 599) it was really good, although no match for the DCT.
    All my comments are highly personal and subjective though ;)

G. Pepper likes this.
  8. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    Have you had some time behind the wheel of a 355 F1? Remember 20 years ago it was unique and impressive. It was also a $10K option.

9. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I drove it back to back with the manual 355 (and the 550 Maranello) during Corso Pilota in 1998; and although it was new and a technical tour-de-force for the time, I was actually not really impressed by the results.
    On the other hand, I was blown away by the DCT the first time I drove a 458 (even though at that time I was owning a 599 with a very well resolved F1 system).

10. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Certainly valid points, though it’s fair to keep in mind that it’s all relative. Ferrari’s of the 60’s and 70’s are rather prehistoric compared to the technologies of the 90’s, and so on. Still, a big part of the pleasure and joy of owning a vintage car is enjoying it for what it is - a snapshot from another time. For that reason, given the significance of the F1 transmission in Ferrari evolution and history, I personally take a lot of pride in preserving and maintaining my car at the highest level. So, for me, the F1 system carries significance for more reasons than one. But, as for the OP’s main topic, if it’s purely a driving experience that he is weighing, and he enjoys the gated shifter experience, than he should consider that seriously. Beyond the transmission, however, I would also advise that he takes his time and sort the best car based on a variety of factors. There are plenty of options out there and there likely will continue to be.

taz355, MAD828, Dave rocks and 2 others like this.
  11. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I haven't read all the posts here, guessing it's the usual 6 speed guys saying how horrible the F1 is?? Regardless for my 2 cents....LOVE the F1. I've had it for 10 years, ZERO issues with the F1. I put a new clutch in when I bought it, did the self calibration, still drives and shifts like a dream. Don't get me wrong, I also love 3 pedal cars, I've been racing 6 spd. STI's for years...perfect double clutch downshifts are fun. For for the 355 cruising on twisty back roads, F1 all the way!

12. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    In my case, I don't think F1 is horrible, but it interferes with the way the driver and car communicate.

There are lots of things one can do in a manual that one cannot do in an F1:
    a) take it out of 6th, and put it in 2nd, and nail the throttle with no intermediate gears being selected.
    b) take off in 1st gear, then drop it into 6th gear at 42 MPH using no intermediate gears;
    while looking at your passenger and saying "This thing only needs 2 gears".
    c) shift into neutral without taking the transmission out of gear
    d) ...

sixcarbs likes this.
  13. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Well, to be technical, disengaging the clutch is really not shifting into neutral

14. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Dave meant engaging the clutch.
    He could have also meant disengaging the transmission

15. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Nope. I meant what I said ;) :)

I think ?

Who knows. It's late and I'm tired :cool:

16. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Maybe i miss understood sorry its late and im Canadian

Dave rocks and BOKE like this.
  17. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I'm just seeing more reasons I don't need a 3 pedal 355! ;):D

BUT I guess I could add to the list if I really wanted to be impartial...3 pedal guys can also drive off with the doors open. Ditto the frunk cover and the engine cover...us F1 guys can only drive with those things closed up, sheesh!

taz355 and BOKE like this.
  18. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    My Cayman with PDK does that all by itself. If it's in 6th or 7th and you take your foot off the throttle the engine drops to idle, unless you are on a down hill or you touch the brake, and not in Sport mode.

Jay, do you have your car back on the road yet? Haven't seen you at GB this year.

One of the benefits of a 3 pedal is that it can be a 95 with no immobilizer. ;)

19. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Hey John, been enjoying my new STI Type RA...awesome from the factory, only 500 made...I started modding the day she came home :) Drove the 355 quite a bit last week before the rain came in, getting close to time for the winter nap...

20. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    3 pedal guys can change a clutch and throw out bearing without having to ask "where is my kissing point?"

21. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    I really like cake.

22. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan

You forget if you let too much pressure off the brake pedal a manual won't change out of gear to neutral.

23. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    What??

24. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    [QUOTE="Challenge, post: 146290643, member:

If you let off the brake pedal too much but are still sitting still say at a red light and you just let up too much the F1 trans will kick you into neutral.

Usually just as it turns green.

25. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    I owned my 1998 355 GTS F1 for 20 years from when I bought it new. I only took my foot off the brake once on my first test drive of another F1 car in Los Gatos forcing the system to drop to neutral. Do you think it would be better if the car stayed in gear and rolled forward??? You can't fault the F1 system for driver error.