I love Teslas | Page 4 | FerrariChat

I love Teslas

Discussion in 'Australia' started by carl888, Nov 6, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

You're a 1% 'er Simon, EV's are not for you. Statistically 99% of commuting trips are under 60km from memory.

2. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Most people live in Urban environments and use their cars for short daily commuting trips and running about within a few suburbs of home. Hardly anybody uses their car for long trips between capital cities in different states anymore as it is cheaper, easier and less time consuming to fly these days.

Maranello550 likes this.
  3. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

When the Model S first came to Australia 4 years ago it was possible to buy a base single engine version (2WD) with a 60kw battery and no options within your quoted price range. At that point I ordered a top of the range, twin engine (4WD) performance version with every box ticked for $205k OTR in Victoria. Those prices didn't last long at all and within 6 months the same car was $265k OTR and there was no base version under $150k. From there prices continued to rise as our currency deflated from 80c to 70c against the US dollar. Fast forward 2.5yrs and my top of the range, fully loaded Tesla Model X was $325k OTR in Victoria.
    More recently Tesla has reduced prices as they streamlined production and reduced the range of custom options available. My P100D Model X would now be
    $275k OTR but some of the options and colours that I have are no longer available. Another factor in declining price is the cost of the battery pack is getting cheaper as the Tesla Giga Factory starts ramping up battery production.

Then there is the fact that Tesla themselves destroyed resale values by offering huge discounts on "inventory vehicles" (essentially preordered new stock) and "used vehicles" which are mainly demo cars with under 2000km on the clock. My 3rd Tesla purchase was a P100D Model S at about a $60k discount with 2000km on the clock. Remember you pretty much can't wear these things out and maintenance is practically zero so buying a demo brings little risk apart from repaired crash damage. For some reason Tesla's get crashed a LOT, my theory is people struggle to get used to the braking effect of regenerative braking when you take you lift off on the accelerator.

Anyway, I got sidetracked...... I think the Tesla population in Adelaide is in fact pretty small, probably because they had no supercharger station there until relatively recently. That acts as a big disincentive to buyers as they don't realise that 99% of recharging will always be done at home overnight. Perceived Range Anxiety is real; but the reality is that it is almost never an issue. I've done something like 100,000 EV Km's now and we have only ever used the Supercharger network maybe half a dozen times in 4 years. All but one of those occasions were at the local dealer just because we happened to be there for some other reason.

4. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks. That is very interesting to hear real world experience of these cars, and several to boot.

They are some pretty serious prices for those cars. With all due respect, people who can afford to spend that sort of money on a car - especially what is basically a “normal”car. No matter the speed, they ain’t no Ferrari - aren’t worried about petrol prices.

So what is the reason for buying one? I’ve never been in one, but some people say the interiors are not up to scratch for the money.
    They are certainly not stunning looking things.
    So, is it about the speed? The way the power is delivered? Or something else?

The classic question would be, why not have an M5 or similar?
    Looks better, handles better, sounds better, who cares about the fuel consumption on a $250k car except for inner city lefty’s who can’t comprehend the irony, isn’t exactly ludicrously thirsty (without doubt my old HOS 355 would use twice as much fuel yet be way slower than an M5).
    And ultimately if it’s all about cruising about the leafy suburbs, what’s the point of it being faster accelerating than a Ferrari?
    I guess I just don’t get it.

For a long time I’ve been saying that when someone comes out with a nicely styled, nice handling, 3 series sized electric car, with decent range for a similar price as a 3 series they’ll be on to a winner.

Until then, it’ll remain a curiosity and be outsold 100 to 1 by almost as efficient, more desirable cars.

timjen88 likes this.
  5. FazzerPorscheman

FazzerPorscheman F1 World Champ

Jul 28, 2010
    Piz Gloria
    Full Name:
    EnzoFerdinand
    Early adopters often pay a premium.

6. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    oh FFS...go and drive one and answer your own question.

7. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    You're not on yer pat malone,ask the lefties what is done with the battery packs when they run out of steam.

How environmentally friendly are they?

timjen88 and Steve355F1 like this.
  8. simon klein

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Quite possibly,I somehow can't see Pap at the Isa or Al Campbell in The Alice running out to buy an electric/battery operated car any time soon.

9. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Actually, whilst they're not good enough to use in a car with very high loads, they're still great for storage for many many years.

Incidentally, I saw 2 x Model X and 2 x Model S in my 8 minute drive this morning.

10. Horse

Horse Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Centrelink?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

greg246 likes this.
  11. simon klein

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
  12. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    within 3 years, there'll be a bunch of cars that fit that description (just look at BMW's press releases) and it's not going to be pretty for the power grid. Suburbs like mine are full of virtue-signalling "urban professionals" who flock to the latest trendy cars. I'll at least not have to trip over Range Rover Evoques and Velars everywhere I go...

Established streets in Sdney (and I presume Melbourne) have sub-stations that haven't changed for at least 30 years. If even 10% of the houses install fast charging units in their garage, the capacity won't be there. Few people will spend $20~40K on top of the car to install solar panels, or have the roof space to do it.

My expectation is that eventually the grid will have to be upgraded and, just as with solar panel subsidies, it will be the people who don't drive electric cars who will effectively be subsidising the people who do, via higher power bills.

We may also be living through the final era of private vehicles. A generation or two hence you'll summon an autonomous electric car, which will come from centralised recharge locations, and make your journey without a second thought about the vehicle. :depressed:

13. greg246

greg246 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Can't wait for the Bentley version

14. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    While I saw 4,567,985 Mercs, 9,087,454 BMWs and 5,876,545 Audis (all driven badly by gen Y idiots) in my 15 minute drive to work ........ remember work ?

It's what us poor people do in between lattes :p

Steve355F1 likes this.
  15. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
  16. knocker

knocker F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 10, 2017
    Sydney Aus
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    Here’s a Tesla I spotted today.
    Lucky me .ATTACH=full]2625606[/ATTACH]

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Attached Files:

17. simon klein

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    How many,and then how toxic are they and which country town gets the privilege of storing them in a hole in the ground.

18. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    As usual, you have know eye deer

19. simon klein

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    You made a statement,verify it thanx.

20. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I don't feel like it.

You typify what's wrong with this world....you hear some crap on TV and treat it as fact without bothering to research. It's not ****ing uranium you know!

21. simon klein

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Well put up or STFU ,you've got nothing.

I'll wait until someone sensible,like Scott,can qualify your statement.

I don't go around looking for Greeny issues,far from it,the leftovers must go somewhere....in your backyard then?

22. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Yawn

Stay ignorant....makes no difference to me.

23. simon klein

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Fact up or STFU.

You're the one making the statement without backup......again.

24. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    **** me, I thought it was o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

How come my geiger counter app goes crazy in my car ?? :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::eek::eek::eek::eek::p:cool:

25. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Ahhh....no, donkey, you made the statement if you scroll back and grow intelligence.