Engine Gaskets in Black | FerrariChat

Engine Gaskets in Black

Discussion in '206/246' started by racerboy9, Nov 5, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Seems most of the gaskets available now are a green color. Green cam cover and end cap gaskets just don't look right on the engine in my opinion. Does anyone know of a supplier of quality gaskets that are black?

2. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Superformance did stock a cheaper gasket set (look under head gasket sets on their web site - engine general section) that are a charcoal / grey colour, agree they look better but are not really thick enough. They do work OK but care is needed to ensure a good seal. They may have discontinued them?

3. Stefan Elshout

Stefan Elshout Karting

Dec 1, 2011
    Holland
    I have the digital files to cut the valve cover and end cap gaskets so i could make them out of basically any type of gasket material.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Thanks for the suggestion Stefan. My friend in Switzerland has found some in black for me.

5. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Most Italian cars up to 1973 had green gaskets.
    All my Alfa were born like that. I kind of like the contrast as long as they are clean.

As Dino engines are still apart, have a bazillion gaskets that were gifted in Italy, in both colors
    and also gray. When build time, I' ll decide.

Just a matter of preferences.

Regards, Alberto

6. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I had a NOS factory gasket set at one time and all the gaskets were black. Definitely a small point in the grand scheme of things but the black gaskets seem to blend with the engine whereas the green ones seem to jump out.

7. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I have not found any of the modern black gaskets to seal well. When we built the engine on our car we used green gaskets on all but one join and would you know it that is the one that leaks. To make matters worse it is one of the only gaskets that requires engine removal to replace. This winter the engine comes out to replace one silly gasket I should have bought green in the first place.