Delta Vee | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Delta Vee

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by scowman, Aug 6, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    You might want to reconsider your handle.

2. Affordable Supercar

BANNED

Aug 20, 2018
  3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Yup, That is about the quoted price. Try buying four new shocks with all the crummy Bilstein parts that will fail and see how much that costs.

4. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    His price is fair, His business practice is deplorable..

350MH83 likes this.
  5. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I had Rob do the rears on my 456M twice, because they failed again. He did the second job for free except for shipping, so I had him do the fronts the second time so it wasn't a total loss for him.

Turnaround was, "reasonable" both times. Not quick, but reasonable. It's a small shop and he has other interests, so I was just glad there was somebody who would do the work!

6. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    There is nothing “reasonable” about his regard for his customers needs,25 weeks 4 months in my case is the main reason I
    sold my beloved 456m and got My FF.

350MH83 likes this.
  7. Tavhale

Tavhale Rookie

Mar 16, 2016

8. Tavhale

Tavhale Rookie

Mar 16, 2016
    I sent them shocks in April of 2018 and do not get any response. My parts department has reached out to them Many times. I do not recommend using Delta Vee as they do not Communicate well with their customers. I just want a time line of when I could expect the shocks to be done. At this point I’m going to in stall new shocks

9. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    Keep up the pressure. And I don’t think it’s a them. I think it’s just a one man show.

10. 12659

12659 Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2005
    Seattle WA. USA
    Full Name:
    mark
    Try PSI in Sonoma. Great service and they communicate well.

11. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    And they don't replace the proprietary seal.

12. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    What proprietary seal? Isn't the whole thing proprietary? I would say if PSI say they can rebuild it then go with them. We racers use PSI all the time. They are my go to.

DeltaVee does good work. His package for my 348 racecar was transformative. Highly recommended and I had no issue with communication or getting my shocks back fast. In fact Rob even had to make parts for my OEM custom revalved shocks to convert them to 2.5" coil springs so I could run various rates.

13. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    #38 scowman, Nov 8, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    I sent my fronts to PSI prior to DV. The upper seal for the adjuster gear is (according to PSI) only available from DV, which makes it proprietary. One of my upper seals was leaking so PSI recommended sending both to DV, and shipped directly there for me. They were competent at communication. They answered their phone and replied to emails.

If the 456 adjuster seals can be had, the universe of repair shops opens up, and six month wait times become something more reasonable like one month, and 456 owners have a repair option other than DV.

DV's service level to myself and other on this boards speaks for itself and we don't need to reshash it.

If DV is paying attention, I would happily pay $500 (possibly more) for those seals to have another shop install them. You could fulfill it without any customer communication other than an automated Ebay/Paypal acknowledgment. It's your business, your reputation and you live with the consequences.

ShineKen likes this.
  14. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Those seals can't be rocket science, and even if they are, they're probably still available from a supplier to NASA or the ESA.

If not, I'll bet some RSG's (Real Smart Guys) on this board could reverse engineer them if the need/demand is there.

It's unfortunate there's currently only one source for them and he's overloaded.

@ Taz, don't you consult to some rocket science companies?

Dave rocks likes this.
  15. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    John- Yes, but just for the big boys and the government. Things like seals come from subs and are too far down in the weeds for me to have any contacts.

The Magneride shocks on late Ferraris leak pretty badly, too, so there would be a market for good seals. Someone in eastern Europe is the only one rebuilding those.

16. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I got a blown out 550 shock somewhere around here if someone want to take one apart.

17. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    The guys at PSI just might. They were lamenting the situation. I will ask.

18. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I am one of the rocket science guys. With access to a machine shop. Perhaps I can take a look. Even easier if some one knows the correct material.....

19. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    So maybe you can figure out a fix and we can take that to one of the many competent suspension shops.

FBB, are you in donating the shock?

20. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Yes. Who did you talk to at psi? I need to call them anyway need shocks for a racecar. You discussed this issue with them and they would like to find a solution?

21. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    With a sample, material can easily be determined.

22. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Gents, I am pitching in from the side here. I haven't had any contact with either Delta Vee or PSI. However, I'm willing to do a mite of reverse engineering and see if the overall supply situation can be made easier on all and sundry. While I don't need them now, I have a 456M and that means that one day I'll get to walk this road....

350MH83 likes this.
  23. Affordable Supercar

BANNED

Aug 20, 2018
    It's just an off-the-shelf seal. Delta Vee certainly doesn't fabricate it on their own nor do they have any connections with Vulcan (mythological God of Seals) :). They just chanced upon it and are using it in this application.

24. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Then one would expect that a bit of diligent searching on the web and in the industrial supply chain would make this available to others such as PSI.

surfwolf likes this.
  25. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    You know this or you are guessing? Perhaps it not a unique seal but a process to replace it? I know both Bilstien and PSI do not want to touch it. you would think Bilstien would have the seal. Perhaps the stock seal is inadequate and DV has come up with a stronger replacement?

I say we set Laser Guru upon it and. FBB will you donate your spare? I will pitch in for shipping an incidentals. This problem needs solving.