Photos Taken While Flying | Page 67 | FerrariChat

Photos Taken While Flying

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by juliei, Jan 28, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Cool paint job on the prop blades. Does that help mask when you have a leaking hub?:rolleyes: :D

2. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    Ha. They are polished bare metal! You’re seeing reflections. Our two planes only leak where they’re supposed to!

jcurry likes this.
  3. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    lol For a radial I think that means all the time.

Very cool plane!

4. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    I said they only leak WHERE they’re supposed to. You’re right, if it ain’t leaking, it’s out of oil.

We actually just put a Darton Clean Kit on the one in the picture (#26). The #27 bird still doesn’t have it and she wets the bed constantly. 6 sorties over 2 days for 4.2 hours and #26 only spit out 0.5 gal of oil. Before the kit it was about a half gallon per sortie. It mostly flies down the right side at engine start then drools everywhere for 24-48 hours afterward. The in flight usage is similar for both.

jcurry likes this.
  5. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    S Image Unavailable, Please Login neaking past Castle Rock, Washington, 1970. In the L-3 in the background, Bower's Pietenpol in foreground. Not big iron but totally enjoyable challenges.

Island Time likes this.
  6. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I might as well do this one, too. Fresh out of a 1 year long rebuild in my carport, living room, dinning room, and rec room. 1967 Image Unavailable, Please Login

Island Time and Wade like this.
  7. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Island Time likes this.
  8. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Assume the roll rate is nothing to write home about with only one aileron... :)

9. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Pietenpols are neat. I remember one in Florida that had a bulb horn on the side. When the pilot flew over, you could actually hear him honking the horn!

10. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Shortly after Pete Bowers took this shot an Army DeHavilland Beaver drew along side , also flying the slot along the Columbia in bad weather, and stayed with us for a while. He had his nose up, flaps down a bit, and he and his partner were frantically thumbing through what I assumed was an identification book trying to verify the odd and old WW2 identification of the L-3. It was really funny as we were chugging along at 70 mph to have a modern liaison plane formating with a similar plane that was in action almost 30 years earlier.

11. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I have seen the horn thing before and it's always a laugh. Pete's Pietenpol was probably the purest example anywhere. He found it in Everret, Wa. in the ceiling of a machine shop where it had been hanging almost thirty years. It was started by two guys in 1930 and after it was all framed up, they got into an argument and split up. So, the guy that ended up with the airplane hung it in his shop. A warm, dry atmosphere preserved it in pretty good shape. The haskelite rib gussets had to be replaced with birch plywood and a few wooden items were replaced also. Pete restored it with new fabric and a Model B engine out of an Akron Funk. Everything else was all 1930 Pietenpol: wire wheels, no brakes, a Model T spring leaf tailskid, a board for the seats, and best of all, a 6 inch diameter altimeter from the 20's that read "HEIGHT". It was a lot of fun to fly but one had to change the flying techniques and make up for the loss of many helpful modern items. Taxiing downwind it was necessary to execute one or more ground loops to slow down to keep the speed in control. It was a good flying airplane except for being aerodynamically tail heavy. If you skidded in a turn , you got an ear full of cold air instead of the heat coming from the radiator and you never looked out to the left after applying carb heat or you could get smacked in the face by a chunk of ice coming off the carburetor. A fun experience to "go back to 1929-30 homebuilt days." If I could fly now, I think that I would have one. It was a well done little airplane and performed amazingly well with a Model B Ford up front.

12. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

The epitome of a Parasol Winged aircraft... and probably most well-known... bulb horn or not.

13. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Bernie Pietenpol was a backyard designer that hit the sweet spot with simplicity, good proportions, practicability, and a remarkable airfoil that was, as he admitted, sketched out on the garage floor. I suppose that the wing section , span, and wing loading produced a good performing wing at 60 mph. It out performed the L-3 at altitude but the L-3 wasn't designed to perform much over 3000 ft. It was heavy and tough. So many amateur Pietenpol builders put Cub landing gear and Cub noses on them that Pete Bowers asked them ," Why didn't you just go out and buy a Cub!" Those airplanes with the Cont. 65's and Cub gear didn't fly anything like a real Pietenpol.

14. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    The one I saw with the bulb horn also had wire wheels and a tailskid, and I believe it also had a Ford engine. At that point, I had never even heard of a Pietenpol ("What is this 'Pete & Paul' thing?") but it was a revelation.

15. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
  16. VWH3RD

VWH3RD Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2003
    Cherry Hill, NJ
  17. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Nice plane! How do you like the G3000?

18. VWH3RD

VWH3RD Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2003
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    It takes some time getting use to for sure but overall I like it. Some things are buried in to many button pushes

19. VWH3RD

VWH3RD Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2003
    Cherry Hill, NJ
  20. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Great shot to get it right at rotation!