Next Ferrari Hypercar - Project Name F??? | FerrariChat

Next Ferrari Hypercar - Project Name F???

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by Dilusha, May 29, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dilusha

Dilusha Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Maybe it's too early for a thread. But I can't wait. :p

2. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Mama Mia

Everybody thought ENZO and LaFerrari was ridiculous when it first came out. Now it just flows. ;)

I'm Joking.

3. maha

maha F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2014
    dinajpur, bangladesh
    Full Name:
    mahmud
  4. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    It's going to be called the "Kimi". It'll be self driving, and if you try to take control a computer will say... "leave me alone, I know what I'm doing!"

Jakuzzi, modena1_2003, kandi and 2 others like this.
  5. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I actually hope they name it the Mama Mia...that would be funny and would obviously be meant that way. Ferrari The Ferrari was already kinda ridiculous for a name, but they were serious. This time it needs to be intentionally a joke name.

6. maha

maha F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2014
    dinajpur, bangladesh
    Full Name:
    mahmud
    Flavio Manzoni: The man who made modern Ferrari

MATT BUBBERS
    GENEVA
    SPECIAL TO THE GLOBE AND MAIL
    PUBLISHED MAY 24, 2018UPDATED MAY 22, 2018
    Open this photo in gallery Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Flavio Manzoni, Senior Vice President of Design at Ferrari.

FERRARI

When Flavio Manzoni arrived to lead Ferrari’s design centre in 2010, the creative team in Maranello consisted of four people in a small office. He had to start from scratch. The weight of the task, of the brand, was not lost on him.

Ferrari is a dream, a symbol for Italy and speed and wealth and la dolce vita.

It is the house that Enzo built. In Ferrari’s back catalog is the most valuable car sold at auction, the 250 GTO for US$38.1-million. The racing team has won the Formula One constructor’s title 16 times, making it the most successful in history. Ferrari consistently ranks among the most valuable, most recognized brands in the world.

Globe Drive spoke to Manzoni about the dream and nightmare that is his job, at the unveiling of the company’s latest supercar, the 488 Pista, at the Geneva Motor Show in March.

What was your first day on the job at Ferrari like?

It was an incredible challenge because I had to start from scratch. There was nothing, apart from a very small creative team. Ferrari mainly used to work with Pininfarina and other coachbuilders like Giugiaro or Zagato and so on – but especially Pininfarina.

Why the change? Why did Ferrari break with decades of tradition and bring design in-house?

The decision was based on the idea to create a new Ferrari philosophy and, let’s say, a new design language. But also, it was a necessity to work all together to create synergy with other departments. That was almost impossible with designers working in Turin and engineers working in Maranello. It’s, I would say, a combination between science and art, or technology and form. If you didn’t have the possibility to dialog everyday with the engineering department, the aerodynamic department, you could never do something like this. [He points at the 488 Pista on display next to us.]

Open this photo in gallery Image Unavailable, Please Login
    The New Ferrari 488 Pista is shown on press day at the 88th Geneva International Motor Show on March 7, 2018.

CYRIL ZINGARO/AP

Where do you draw the line between science and art, technology and form?

I think design is applied art. For me, there is a distinction between design and styling. If you work on a shape, trying to emphasize certain lines because you want to achieve a fashionable effect, this is styling. And this doesn’t fit the Ferrari philosophy. Ferrari is design. That means you start from objectives regarding performance: weight, aerodynamic efficiency, materials – and then you create the set of technical solutions which are able to achieve those objectives. The form cannot be thought of anymore as a cover you style afterwards. The form is a kind of organic part of the object.

STORY CONTINUES BELOW ADVERTISEMENT

Did you study to be a car designer?

No, I studied architecture, specializing in industrial design, in Florence. But I was born in Sardinia. I lived there until I was 19. My father – he was an architect – he was my first teacher. I learned sketching from him.

Did cars make an early impression on you?

When I was a child, I was really crazy for cars, but I was eclectic. In the dreams of a child, I thought maybe I could do whatever: be an architect and a sculptor and an artist and a car designer.

You’re still very eclectic it seems, sketching spaceships and watches and furniture. Where do you find inspiration?

If you are too focused on car design, you risk becoming banal or repetitive. The car is a very mature product; it’s not easy to transform it. Inspiration can come from architecture, or an installation by Anish Kapoor, or from music, or from the masterpieces of Italian designers like [Achille] Castiglioni or [Marco] Zanuso. The TV set by Zanuso for Brionvega, or the famous Arco Lamp by Castiglioni: These are really the perfect combination between function and art. There is poetry in them.

Do you remember how you felt, getting the job at Ferrari?

I was in Wolfsburg, working for Volkswagen. At the beginning, it seemed strange. It was a dream. But, once in the job, the feeling of responsibility was more important. One thing is the dream of a child; the other is the job you have to do. If you want to create a dream, you have to work very hard. It’s sometimes also a nightmare.

How do you balance the tradition, the history of the brand, with the need to do something new and move it forward?

Ferrari has this incredible quality: Every new product is a new chapter in its history. You can really rethink the object. At Ferrari, we have to know how to combine the beauty of tradition and the courage of innovation. If you are too close to tradition, you become a slave to it. This is a problem. But, never forget the DNA of the brand. An exercise we do every time [we make a new car] is to analyze the evolution of the brand through several generations of cars. If we’re able to imagine the next steps in a very logical way, a kind of natural evolution, this is the best.

What was the first car you did at Ferrari?

The first was the F12berlinetta [unveiled in 2012]. It was still in co-operation with Pininfarina. The design centre was still very green. The first complete in-house project was LaFerrari [unveiled in 2013]. We started that project at the end of 2010. There was a competition between the Ferrari design team and the Pininfarina team, and we won the competition. It felt good. It was also a nightmare, working day and night.

What are your favourite classic cars, from Ferrari and other brands?

There are so many. I usually mention the Ferrari 330 P3/P4. Absolutely beautiful is the 350 Can-Am, and the [250] GTO. In the past, I was very keen on Jaguar E-Type, for example, and the Citroen DS – it’s a masterpiece.

The future of the automobile suddenly seems full of new possibilities. How will Ferrari fit in?

If a car has new technology, a new layout of technical components, the external shape should reflect it in a very emotional, but very frank way. The problem is when you see electric cars in the world, they’re very conservative. This is something I don’t understand. When we are in front of an innovation, there is always a peak of creativity. Always.

How big is the design department at Ferrari today?

Now, we are more than 80 people.

This interview has been condensed and edited.

so in future, we could see electric ferraris adopt a design language?

7. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    From today's presentation which goes as far as 2022 so launch not for another five years at least:

"Foreseen in next mid-term plan with part of investments already included in this plan"

8. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    LeFerrari

dhari likes this.
  9. Interceptor

Interceptor Karting

Apr 10, 2009
    Ferrari F80 :)

10. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    People should stop call that.

taz355 likes this.
  11. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    Given their current stated aim of mugging their clients with the pricing (e.g Monza), may be LaFleece....

willrace likes this.
  12. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    La Electricarevolution ?

La Electron ?

13. EmreT

EmreT Karting

Oct 15, 2018
    Full Name:
    Emre
    Ferrari Schumacher?

14. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    or LaShumie ? ;)

Jakuzzi likes this.
  15. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Ferrari GTFO

16. Luque

Luque Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2009
    Italy
    F110 = 288 GTO
    F120 = F40
    F130 = F50
    F140 = Enzo
    F150 = Laferrari
    F160 = next ferrari hypercar

Luque

NürScud likes this.
  17. modena1_2003

modena1_2003 F1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jon
    If they're going to compete with where hypercars are going to be in the 20's (we can really say that now), then I'd expect to see me serious hybridization happening throughout their product line.

I can see the V12 being the main car and an all electric powertrain in a more special edition.

18. 9nb

9nb Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2012
    Heard something from two sources (both collectors) about an all electric car that Ferrari has meant as a surprise? Any validity to this?

19. Ryan13

Ryan13 Karting

Jan 21, 2015
    Alberta
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    According to LamborghiniKS he claims to have seen the new Ferrari hypercar and the specs. He says it is fully electric. Take it with a grain of salt

Jakuzzi likes this.
  20. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    According to Ferrari themselves, the next hypercar is more than 5 years away.

NürScud, stavura and SVCalifornia like this.
  21. maximilien

maximilien Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2005
    Capitale of Europe
    Full Name:
    Massimo
    Maybe in the next road map

22. kandi

kandi Formula 3

Jun 27, 2014
    Also, the term "hypercar" will evolve in the upcoming all-electric future. Ferrari has to offer its own special philosophy of a hypercar in this brave new world full of present and future Nio's, Rimac's etc.
    And it has to be a jump, so maybe ... F200? ;-) Just saying :D

23. Doug23

Doug23 Karting

Jun 23, 2017
    Italy
    288 GTO was F114
    and F160 is already assigned (the V6 engine built for Maserati)

24. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    Always do! ;)

25. Luque

Luque Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2009
    Italy
    You are right, F110 was project codename of the Testarossa, I was remembering uncorrectly. And yes the F160 code is already assigned … I bet for the F170 than ...

Doug23 likes this.