Portofino first 1000 miles | FerrariChat

Portofino first 1000 miles

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by George330, Nov 16, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    I just completed 1000 miles in my Portofino and thought I’d write something...I ordered this car before it was launched because the guys at Zenith (dealership in Lausanne/Sion) have done such an amazing job for me over the years and I felt they deserved an order on their recommendation. I never bought a California and even though I’d driven all of them several times and respect the concept, I always thought it is not for me.
    I specced a very simple car, thinking that I’d try to use it as a daily driver and if I didn’t like it I’d sell it...The car was delivered 6 weeks ago, not exactly prime driving season for Switzerland, so I put some winter tyres on and started using it...
    All I can say is that the Portofino is a revelation. To start with I think it is a stylistic triumph and I catch myself looking at the car after I’ve parked it (especially the rear 3/4 view) thinking “finally Ferrari got their junior model right”...Build quality is superb, my only complaint is the insubstantial-feeling glovebox lid, otherwise every switch and every piece of leather is perfect. The car is very comfortable, with superb seats and finding a perfect driving position is easy. The seat adjusts in every way possible and all the controls are where they should be (except for the cruise control knob, please Ferrari put a proper cruise control on your GT cars). The steering wheel feels great although I would have preferred longer paddles and the central Navigation screen is super-clear and easy to use. I connected my phone easily and discovered I could have 2 phones connected at the same time, which is important. Apple CarPlay works well, although I cant believe I have to plug in my iphone to use it...My daughter’s Mini connects wirelessly! The JBL HiFi is nothing new, but again it performs very well.
    The car starts with the usual rumble, but it is much more muted than my TDF and it pulls away cleanly. The gearbox is quick but not brutal, on auto it shifts up to 7th too quickly for my taste, even in Sport, so if you want to drive fast switch to manual... As an auto it takes on city traffic like a pro, with low levels of noise and excellent ride. What astonishes me is the tight turning circle. The car manoeuvres better than many hatchbacks and in comparison the TDF feels like a truck. Parking is very easy, aided by top visibility, front and rear cameras and sensors. Ground clearance is perfect for any use and I definitely don’t miss the suspension lift. Overall - believe it or not- the car feels small and nimble.
    I have done several trips to the supermarket (!) and the boot swallows a fair amount of shopping, although you have to watch anything you place on the shelf at the deepest part of the boot, as it rolls off as soon as you drive off...Make sure the eggs don’t go there! There is enough space to take my cabin luggage for my frequent trips and I leave the car at the airport without a second thought.
    So far I have only done 2 drives on mountain roads and the car is very quick, with great turn in even on the soft-walled Sottozeros, with mighty brakes and a feeling of involvement that the Cali T somehow never managed to convey to me. One of the drives was top down with the heating on and it served to underscore that this will be one hell of a summer car...I will wait to drive it on summer tyres before I pass final judgement, but this is no Mercedes SL, it is a GT tuned for fun

Overall I have to say BRAVO Ferrari. If their objective was to produce a great GT, a car that will attract new buyers to the brand, they have succeeded. For the money I can think of nothing else that I’d rather have; I have previously used a 991 Turbo S as a DD -no comparison for me- and also have a new Continental GT which looks like it will go to a new owner as I always grab the keys to the Portofino every time I go out...More importantly I caught myself taking the Portofino to car gatherings I’d normally take the TDF, the 360CS or the BB! I never thought this would happen, but as I get older, comfort is a essential companion to fun I guess...Even my wife loves it and she hasn’t loved any of my other F cars...

Many thanks to Zenith Ferrari for the great idea and if you are still thinking about buying one of these, don’t waste any more time...!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Terrific write-up and perspective. Thank you...T

of2worlds and tifoso2728 like this.
  3. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Amazing writeup, thanks so much for sharing! I too really enjoyed the car taking it for a weekend, I had a CaliTHS that I still miss! My only complaint with the Portofino is the lack of rear seat space. I thought they would add more then they did and that makes it a hard car to enjoy as the family (4 of us). I will definitely pick one up soon enough, I miss the convertible driving especially on a nice summer evening. Appreciate the writeup George.

4. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    My biggest concern is the electric steering given my past experience with other cars. It's good to hear you like it in this car.

5. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Thx for write up.

Been wondering why there are so few user reviews of a car shown a long, long time ago.

6. Golden Steed

Golden Steed Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    Nice writeup.

Question: several posters talked about the start/stop function (the engine shutting off at stoplights rather than idling). Did you ever find a way to turn it off, or are you stuck with it?

7. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    It is mandatory in Switzerland...Having said that, given that it is a daily driver it doesn’t bother me

8. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    It's an option in the US. So, presumably one could just not order it, assuming it's not mandatory.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

T

Golden Steed likes this.
  9. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Actually in the US it comes on all 2018 and 2019 Ferrari's. I asked for it not to be on my 812 Superfast but it has it and makes the car Superslow!!

of2worlds and Caeruleus11 like this.
  10. Golden Steed

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    Well, that sucks. Hopefully there is an aftermarket fix.

11. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Fantastic write up, thank you George for sharing! It seems this car is a real winner. Very happy for you! :)

of2worlds likes this.
  12. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    This thread is useless with out pics.

13. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    DeSoto, F2003-GA and ernie like this.
  14. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    F2003-GA and ernie like this.
  15. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    635CSI, F2003-GA and ernie like this.
  16. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    believe it or not I only have pics from the day I collected!!! The weather here is not great for pics at the moment...The car is Grigio Alloy w/ Beige Tradizione. Very simple spec, no carbon, I only got JBL, Magnetiride suspension, Apple CarPlay and cameras...Just the basics for a daily driver...

ryalex and Texas2step like this.
  17. NGom

NGom Rookie

Aug 5, 2018
    UK and France
    Full Name:
    Nicholas Gomersall
    We have cover 2,500 miles in our Portofino since collecting the car early September, mostly in France and Spain and I totally agree with all the comments above. Sold my lovely McLaren 650S Spider to buy the Portofino as my wife + small dog wanted more of a GT to tour Europe and the Portofino sits perfectly in between the McLaren and our Mercedes SL55 for performance and fun vs. practicality and comfort.

I also agree that the cruise control is rubbish which is a pity as I use it a lot in France. The hugely expensive Apple CarPlay is a disappointment. However, such a lovely looking car.....

18. NGom

NGom Rookie

Aug 5, 2018
    UK and France
    Full Name:
    Nicholas Gomersall
    Stop/start. My car is UK spec and comes with stop/start. Button above rear view mirror to turn it off but must do so every time car is started. It's a bit too keen to stop, even which you haven't actually come to a halt so I do turn it off quite often.

Golden Steed likes this.
  19. Golden Steed

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    As a Capitalist Pig and Greedy American, I fully understand the environmental concern about cars idling, but don't really care. So much of the experience is having that hearty rumble when you're at the stop light. If I wanted a car that went on and off like the wind blows, I'd buy a Prius.

AD211 likes this.
  20. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I have it on my Mini Cooper. I actually like it. You can turn if off if you want.

For a daily driver car, it makes sense to have the option. Times are changing...

21. Golden Steed

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

keithos27 and TheMayor like this.
  22. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  23. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Looking Good George plus nice write up

24. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    It was optional on 2018 so you didn't have to order it. My 488 doesn't have it.

25. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Love it, alloy is one of my favorites. Post a shot outside with the top down to get the blue hue of the paint. ;)

Alfas have the start stop but there's an "A" button on the left dash that disables it. I press it now as part of the startup routine. Funny enough I think they meant the START/STOP button to be easier (and fun), but in practice I have to press Start, then A, then the E-brake button before I put it in gear, so it actually seems like more work than less. (the car will actually automatically disable the e-brake when you try to move in D but it lurches and jumps when it does that)