whats the next ferrari to appreciate significantly over the next 5 years? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

whats the next ferrari to appreciate significantly over the next 5 years?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ross, Nov 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I think F50s will keep going so that the entry price for a clean car will be $3m in Europe.

F456M and paulchua like this.
  2. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    I think the 599 GTO will be worth considerably more in 5 years, at least here in the US. Not many were officially sold here (125) and I think it is an underrated and under-appreciated Super Car.

Another much less costly option could be the 348 Serie Speciale. Only 100 were made - all for the US market. I think due to its rarity, manual transmission and useful upgrades vs a standard 348, this makes the Serie Special a good candidate to increase in value considerably over time.

moysiuan, LARRYH, G. Pepper and 2 others like this.
  3. belfry

belfry Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robert Batt
    Here in the U.K. I've just bought a 1990 Mondial t in blue with crema interior. 300hp v8 gated Ferrari with interior largely shared with the Testarossa. Having owned a few more modern Ferraris I wanted something fun, engaging and less valuable. The 308 gt4 is now £50k in the U.K. While the Mondial t is nearer £30k. The adjustable suspension makes a huge difference to my driving experience.

Reputable Ferrari independent garages are charging £1500 for an engine out belt service, so roughly the same as a belt service on my 360. I know service costs are higher in the US but this makes a good buy in Europe.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom

1500 total, or just labor. If that is an all in cost for an engine out service including parts that is a steal. I could barely purchase the basic parts for that number.

5. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    458 Speciale has most room to go up followed by the Scud. Stradale prices have less room to go up imo.

Get a Speciale while you can.

Mikael-F360 likes this.
  6. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Ill take the other side of cs/scuderia spread. CS has cult following, scud doesnt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texas Forever, tfazio and Smiles like this.
  7. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    550 has no where to go but up, up, up....

8. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    You’d think so, wouldn’t you?

But it’s not going to.

Matt

vrsurgeon and Texas Forever like this.
  9. Portofino

Portofino Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2011
    Yorkshire UK / Switzerland/ Liguria ( Italy )
    Full Name:
    Portofino
    Numbers game the supply modal needs to low .
    Carbs , mid engined - different styling , lowish entry cost wise to get speculative buyers in .
    Of course a great drive and no nonsense easy mechanics.
    Boat not yet sailed .
    Betones GT 4 ,s fulfill all those criteria .

Not overly convinced on 16 M s or Scuds etc as who has a track on there premises to feel the difference ? = small market for the track day hero’s .Boats all really sailed —— until the next ( Ferrari’s marketing machine ) modal comes along - “ Pista “ springs to mind .

10. Mmckee

Mmckee Formula 3
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2016
    Alta Loma, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mike
    F2003-GA likes this.
  11. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    What's your reasoning?
    I have no skin in this game, just logical thinking, bulletproof reliable, easy maintenance, real manual, front engine, accessible to "normal" people not only midgets;) like Testarossa, just a fabulous driving experience.:)

LARRYH likes this.
  12. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Works for me. I regret selling mine, but then again, like an insane lover, I don't regret it.

13. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    It’s a great car and should appreciate.

But it won’t. Too many were built and it doesn’t have the allure to the general public.

Matt

14. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    550's had been on a great high, much like others they have cooled off.

Texas Forever likes this.
  15. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Got it.
    I used to own 575SA after owning a 599 before, enjoyed driving the first way more then the newer and much faster car.

Texas Forever and Smiles like this.
  16. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    348s are criminally inexpensive IMO. Not saying they’ll go up tremendously but it makes little sense that they are so inexpensive.

17. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I love the 348. Last ferrari without power steering, a real clunky 5 speed gear box, and with a tubi muffler and no cats, perhaps the best sounding Ferrari out there. They are a bit rough with the build quality, but that can be addressed over time.

I think the engine out service costs along with the twin plate clutch prices deter buyers. The car at this point is not worth the investment to bring one back to close to mint shape. Once the cars start to go up..then you will see people starting to restor them. Just like the 308/328 cars. They were cheap for a very long time. Once prices started to rise, people started to restore or at least spent money on them.

NeuroBeaker and Hammonds rider like this.
  18. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    That's total. Some Main dealers will also come fairly close to that price as well.

My next service is a belts/major on my 348. I've been talking to my independent about what I want done; so as well as the major and belts I'm looking at new cam seals, CV boots, and re-powder coated rocker covers. We are expecting that lot (total) will come in just over £2k. I fully suspect a few other items to crop up so am budgeting £2.5k.

As to the OP's question...you know for sure it will be "the one you didn't buy!". Mega cars like Enzos/GTOs etc will just carry on increasing in value, but the "normal" cars, I think 348/Mondial have the most potential. Last of the "analogue", really good value for money at the moment as said above and some positive press coverage coming out. I also think the last of the manuals will increase soon in particular the 360 & 430.

19. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Bas, 95spiderman and Boomhauer like this.
  20. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    What you need to keep in mind is the cars that will be popular in the future are the ones that were popular during the day. The odd ducks and black sheeps will always be odd ducks and black sheeps. Plus, rarity only affects how fast a car appreciates. A rare duck is still a duck. Perhaps the best example of this is the 308. Great looking car, but underwhelming as a sports car. (I'd take a same year P-bug any day.) Ferrari also made a ton of them. However, Magnum elevated the 308 into an icon. For many people, a 308 is how a Ferrari should look. The same is probably true of a Testarossa.

So, if I had to place a bet, I'd look at the Ferraris that were the most popular during the '80s.

After that, I'd look at the Challenge Stradales and Scuderias.

Skippr1999 likes this.
  21. RegW

RegW Karting

Aug 8, 2017
    London
    The ones that will go up are the ones desired by the generation that is now in their late twenties - and the way these guys got to know Ferraris when they were young is via video games. So is your car featured in a famous game?
    Combine that with rare models (i.e. sub 3000 production units) and demand will surpass supply...and in my view a proper Ferrari must have 12 pots / that's what the brand is known for and is always the first choice when you're facing with an 8 vs 12 cyl dilemma.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using FerrariChat.com mobile app

tbakowsky and Texas Forever like this.
  22. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I'm not sure the next generation of Ferrari buyers will care that much about 12 cylinders. Just having an internal combustion engine may be enough.

sixcarbs likes this.
  23. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    One car that fits the bill is the F-40. Probably the only thing keeping them from going to the stratosphere is user friendliness and large numbers made.

24. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    They are already on the way up. To me they are Ferrari's supercar. The supercars that followed will always be compared to this car. Add 288 gto..and you have 2 cars which will never be topped. Maybe in speed and tech..but never in feel and over all experiance.

That said, supercar catagory is not what this thread is about. It about the normal regular production units. The 90's and early 2000's cars are the next one to go. Off brand..the lotus esprit.

plastique999 and Texas Forever like this.
  25. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Good looking Mondial Congrats